White or not???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Remember the old adage about not wearing white after Labor Day? Everybody says that no longer applies. How do you feel about wearing white in October? Are you comfortable with it or not?

I have no problem with it. I"m in Florida where It's summer until December, so shorts and sandals...even white are still seen here.

I was going to say... I love winter white. It looks sooo pretty on a lot of people. I wear that color on Christmas sometimes. I have at least 5 white/winter white bags that I use all year round. (well the white for spring/summer and the winter white for fall/winter) I see a lot of people wear white after labor day. I don't think that adage really applies anymore.

well we don't have Labor Day here so we can wear white all the time. I think that if you feel comfortable with wearing white so you should wear white.

I think whoever invented that notion just looked ugly in white anyway.

I totally wear white.
smile.gif
White in winter is SeXy.

No preference really, if it looks good, wear it. I , however, cannot wear white EVER - I have 2 little boys under the age of 5!

I wear white all year round. Especially white accessories; I love wearing a slouchy white bag with a long, black top and skinny jeans.

Originally, the rule was more along the lines of "Only wear white shoes between Memorial Day and Labor Day." Furthermore, it mainly applied to white pumps or dress shoes. White tennis shoes and off-white boots seem exempt, as are any shoes worn by a winter bride. "Winter white" clothing (e.g., cream-colored wool) is acceptable between Labor Day and Memorial Day too.

The only logical reasoning we could find cited temperature. Image consultant Nancy Penn suggests that because white reflects light and heat, wearing white would make you cooler in winter, and thus should be avoided. But others suggest the rule stems from a class issue. Acting Director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology Valerie Steele notes that in the late 19th century and the 1950s, more people were entering the middle classes. These nouveau-riche folks were often unaware of the standards of high society, so they were given specific codified rules to follow in order to

I never really paid attention to that rule, I love wearing white sweaters in the fall and winter!

Latest posts

Back