Who can you trust???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have Birchbox and Beauty Army, who for me have both set great standards in service and financial transparency. Sindulge was a colossal pain in the tuchas, and Glossybox officially scares me so I just canceled--or at least sent my email to them to request cancellation. I don't think I even need to bring up Gogo Girlfriend, who screwed me without even a kiss, or dinner and a movie.

So, besides BB and BA, what sub companies have proven to be reputable and trustworthy insofar as quality and range of products, security and shipping? I don't demand it be all makeup, just looking for a good balance, and without a history of screwing people's bank accounts.

So far I've been really happy with Goodebox customer service and boxes.  Every time I've emailed them about something, they've responded back right away.   I think the quality of the boxes has been consistent.

Both testtubes also seem to be reliable.

I think Sample Society has been great, especially with CS ordering. I've liked all my boxes so far, plus the free Allure mag sub.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Sample Society has been great, especially with CS ordering. I've liked all my boxes Ahmed the free Allure mag sub
Oh, yes - I forgot about SS.  I agree that they are also reliable.  I've only had 1 box so far, but it's great that we get a free magazine sub.

I will also add Julep to the list of reliable subscription companies.  Easy to update your info on their site, plus I once had a leaky polish that they replaced right away.

Even though I'm no longer subscribed, I think sample society is the most reliable. They are run by the highly reputable beauty bar site, which is comforting. Glossybox is scaring me. 

I agree with everyone else; Glossybox is absolutely terrifying right now, and I've found Birchbox's customer service to be absolutely solid. Sample Society is great, too. 

I must not have read the latest.  What's up with GlossyBox?  I don't think I've ever commented in that forum so I forget about checking on it for updates.  And with it being that we all get the same thing, there just doesn't seem to be as much to talk about as with Birchbox.  I must be missing something.  Off to educate myself. 

p.s.  That's what I love about these boards.  Ladies looking out for other ladies and telling us how they really feel.  It's a great community vibe.

Currently, I'm disenchanted with several of these services! I agree that Sample Society is probably the most reliable, and I'm about to resub to them. I am now regretting that I decided to sign up for Glossybox, and will not be keeping them after I get the first box I paid for. I'd been having good luck with the Look Bag, but this month they're having major shipping issues.

So, honestly, right now, the only ones I consider trustworthy (as far as the beauty only services go) are SS and BB (which I trust, but am getting irritated with when it comes to fairness/value/product selection.) And the issues with Glossybox have convinced me to keep using my prepaid debit for these services and not my regular account (which I've been using already for new services, only BB goes through my main account.)

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I must not have read the latest.  What's up with GlossyBox?  I don't think I've ever commented in that forum so I forget about checking on it for updates.  And with it being that we all get the same thing, there just doesn't seem to be as much to talk about as with Birchbox.  I must be missing something.  Off to educate myself. 

p.s.  That's what I love about these boards.  Ladies looking out for other ladies and telling us how they really feel.  It's a great community vibe.
More than a few people have had credit card info stolen, when GB is the only company they use the card for, and also some double and even triple charges. Just lots of shady stuff going on at the moment, and GB isn't directly addressing it.

I've always had great customer service from Birchbox, Eco Emi (I'm not a member anymore, but for my own reasons, no fault of theirs), New Beauty Test Tube and Barkbox. Beauty Army had great customer service, but they did forget to refund me my skipped month and after waiting a bit I contacted them that it still didn't go through and they apologized and did it right away...but still, I'm just glad I caught it. Glossybox is scaring me, too. I cancelled my card and will be cancelling my account after this next box ships. I was going to wait and see what happened and maybe resub, but after seeing how it was handled I am not too sure...

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More than a few people have had credit card info stolen, when GB is the only company they use the card for, and also some double and even triple charges. Just lots of shady stuff going on at the moment, and GB isn't directly addressing it.

I am so glad that you guys brought this up and are addressing your concerns on here for others to be aware of, thanks so much for that.  I checked mine and although Beauty Army hasn't refunded me my skip a month feature for a charge made on the 19th, there aren't any other weird charges.  I hate having to be on top of them to make sure that I get my money back.  I have to go back and check more closely because I skipped a month a few months ago, too, and I want to make sure I got credited for it.  I have two Beauty Army subs and I like being able to see what they have available the first of the month and the 17th, but I really wish they would not charge you and then refund it if you skip, they should charge you as you choose your items.  Julep handles that much better with the skip a month option.

I would be *screwed* if they messed up my debit card and the bank decided to cancel it and send me a new one because I live out of the country and it's not as easy as just going to the neighborhood branch of the bank or getting it in the mail.  It would have to be FedExed (is that a word?!) to me.  And that is wrought with problems, too, as sometimes customs and the post office seem to "lose" important shipments.

On a different note, I cancelled Beauty Box 5 on the 12th and they charged me anyway on the 14th.  After a few emails back and forth they refunded me and the box is still shipping out.  They have been having too many packet samples and not a lot of great values for me so that was one that had to go.

I was one of the customers who didn't receive her MyGlam January shipments - I have two subs, and they refunded me and apologized and said they'd give me an "extra" in the next month's bag.  Next month, no extra.  Being that I only get my subs every two months when I go to the States, I emailed them and told them and finally last time out of the blue they sent me the entire January Glam Bag for one of the subs and the Wen Almond Mint and a NYX mascara for the other sub, even though they had refunded me a long time ago.  That was nice.  Overdue, but a nice gesture, I really had things I wanted to try in that bag.

I think Sample Society, the Two Test Tubes and Birchbox have given me the best values and the least amount of problems.  Although I did get left out of a December box due to Birchbox's December fiasco with shipping.  Beauty Fix is awesome but they overcharged me last season even with the $30 off code and it was a hassle to get the money refunded.  Sheesh, we really do have to be on top of all of these subs, I'm glad we have each other to look out for one another!  If I can find a great not very expensive pay as you go prepaid debit, I might have to go with that as well.  Just for peace of mind.

I have Birchbox, Beauty Fix, and Love with Food (Not makeup, but yumm!). I am so happy with all three! BB forgot an item in my box, and they shipped it to me right away when I emailed them. Beauty Fix is awesome as well. I ordered stuff with the coupon you get, and got an email asking if I was happy with everything. Very nice! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Both sample society and BIrchbox have been great!!!! Very nervous about my latest add. Of glossybox, but just signed up this month, so we'll see how my personal experience goes (crossing my fingers I get my box with no xtea charges)

Latest posts

Back