Who turned you on to your cosmetic brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As everyone here knows, i am a MAC junkie.. and have taken a few friends and got them away from their brands to use MAC. I originally used to use "Studio Lights" everyone remember that brand? MAC was around, but it was really expensive and i didn't really use what one or two items i had... My friend Renu totally turned me BACK on to MAC YEARS later.. And now.. I just love it. Been using MAC for a few years now...

Lauryn did it! It's all her fault!
icon_lol.gif

I used to use Clinique and found that MAC foundation and powder look and work better with my skin.

I do occasionally use other e/s products than MAC!
icon_redface.gif

i was always scared to go to the mac counters. lol.

i wasn't really into makeup before then. i guess some drugstore stuff. but then after i got my makeup done once when i was in college at mac, i loved it. it hasn't gotten crazy until i joined this site though. lol!

nobody really turned me on to MAC really, I was just curious about it after I had walked by the counter a few times being too shy to ask for help. I felt that the section of e/s was jsut overwhelming, I had never seen so many e/s shades before *lol*

ok people you gotta know I grew up in a little town and had never heard of MAC before, that´s why I was so excited about it
icon_redface.gif

I only had one MAC item and it was given to me. It was the "spice lipliner" and I never used it. I always thought the line was too plain and boring. But my ex co-worker was a Makeup Artist and got the discount so, she got me a few items and that was over five years ago and I've been hooked ever since.

Now I get my own discount!..LOL
smile.gif

I'm not really locked into one specific brand. I like to mix it up, pick and choose from all brands possible. Make-up has gone from being a hobby into an obsession. I have loved make-up from an early age and have always experimented with it. Now I can't walk past a m/u counter without browsing and testing everything.

YOU people did it to me!!!! I was the MAC virgin until you guys got me hooked!!! It's all your fault!!!

Thank you!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 YOU people did it to me!!!! I was the MAC virgin until you guys got me hooked!!! It's all your fault!!!

Thank you!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

::::::looks around::::who? US? NO way man.. not us.. uh-uh.. can't happen..
As for YOU RedRocks.. I was just being the good friend.. Remember what i taught you.. ya know, being your ELDER and all.. FRIENDS DO NOT LET FRIENDS WEAR BAD COSMETICS.... ommmmmmmmmm

I used to be a Clinique girl just using their foundation and some lipstick. Then my friends and I walked into the Benefit boutique and I loved all of their products. It was great. They reformulated some of their products so I stopped buying them. About two years ago, I went to MAC PRO in Las Vegas to get my MU done for going out that night and really like MAC. That is when the obsession started.

Sephora is to blame for introducing me to Smashbox, Nars, LORAC, Stila, etc.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 YOU people did it to me!!!! I was the MAC virgin until you guys got me hooked!!! It's all your fault!!!

Thank you!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

LOL me too!! This website got me into MAC.. now I'm checking out MAC website and eBay for mu ALL THE TIME!
tongue.gif

I used to be a MAC chick but my girl Trisha has turned me in to a Stila girl. I much prefer the quality of their e/s. And i adore the convertible colours
biggrin.gif

Thanks honey *smooches* :icon_love

i don't really have a brand, but i do love mac and check out their stuff a lot more and that's because of well, all of you
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Laura I used to be a MAC chick but my girl Trisha has turned me in to a Stila girl. I much prefer the quality of their e/s. And i adore the convertible colours
biggrin.gif

Thanks honey *smooches* :icon_love

ahh. yeah. i remember trisha and lea talking about stila on here. so they got me addicted to them too

Honestly, no one turned me onto any brands since I was the first of my friends to be a makeup junkie - what really turned me onto high-end brands though was when I started visiting makeup messageboards, and there was all this gab about how great MAC was and blah blah blah. I resisted for a couple of years, but once I bought my first MAC stuff, that was it for me!!
tongue.gif
I also love Urban Decay, Cargo, and Stila, and once again, online messageboards and reviews are to blame!!
wink.gif

the only thing i don't experiment with is my foundation and that is and always will be prescriptives custom blend. i saw on of the "stripped" shows where they show you how products are made. before that i had an awful time finding makeup. every makeup line i've tried i was between shades. i've tried mac, fashion fair, estee lauder and most every drug store brand on the market. i'll never switch. i can't argue with a perfect skin tone match.

I'm laughing at Laura and Liz. I didn't think I'd ever get anyone else into anything
icon_biggrin.gif

I think Stila totally fits with your style of make up Laura so I'm glad you love it.

I got into high end make up through magazines. I love Liv Tyler and I tend to watch what colours she wears for both clothes and MU as she has a similar skintone, eye colour and hair colour to me. I saw in an article that she used some products from Stila so I tried them (starting with Java e/s) and I never really looked back. Liv also got me into Chantecaille Real Skin foundation.

I've always been a larger girl so I've chosen to spend my fashion money on MU (and shoes and handbags) because MU still works no matter what size you are.

A classmate in college introduced me to MAC back in 2000, I asked for some things for Christmas and my mom went and bought them for me. That's when HER obsession began. I still think she owns more lipglass than I do, teehee.
smile.gif
So we feed off each other & since I work for the company now, I'm constantly turning her on to new goodies.

Originally Posted by Lealabell I've always been a larger girl so I've chosen to spend my fashion money on MU (and shoes and handbags) because MU still works no matter what size you are. big ditto to that! and add shoes to that list

I'd have to say that I'm probably more of an Urban Decay grrl than any other brand. I remember way back in high school I saw an ad for them in a magazine and sent away for a catalog. I didn't have any money to buy at the time, but I held on to that catalog for a while. I used drugstore MU for the longest time, but then a woman I worked with told me about Sephora and i was able to buy Urban Decay for the first time! I got hooked on Paula Dorf when I was bored at Marshall Field's and that counter had the friendliest MA. MAC I'm not really hooked on so much, but it was certainly this board that made me pay more attention to the brand. My Kryolan addiction came from looking at all the cool MU pics on livejournal. Benefit and Bare Escentuals got my attention because they're both local companies.

My sisters and I were really into MAC a loooooong time ago, when they just started and no one really knows what MAC was yet. Same with Cargo. I guess coz they're Canadian companies, and we just wanna be patriotic
smile.gif

Unfortunately, as soon as MAC was bought by Estee Lauder, I stopped buying from them for awhile until the past year or so, when I decided to buy a few products again here and there. Now, I pretty much like anything, as long as it's good quality. I'm really liking Ben Nye right now, since I started to pursue makeup artistry seriously and doing my research. It's cheap, and really good to work with.

Latest posts

Back