Why are the MAC MA so rude?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always like reading these threads for something reason
tongue.gif

Anyways, I'm pretty oblivious to these things.

Last week I went to the MAC store in Concord and they're always busy, but there was about 4 MA behind the counter just eying us. One lady that helped me before just stands there with a bored/pissed off look in her face. I always told myself if she helped me again I'm going to bust out with, "why do you always look pissed off like you hate it here?".... she was alright when she helped me. Seemed quiet and all but like she couldn't bother helping me and her advice was caca...

So, there's this guy who always sees me there and has helped me several times before and he's nice. But last I went, it took forever to get attention and for him to help me. I feel it's partly my fault because the last time he saw me before that - I kinda flaked him off accidentally because I was in a rush. I like him out of all the others because at least he approaches me - but I don't understand why a bunch of them go behind the counter and just chit-chat and never smile and take forever to come up to you with help. Not even a "may I help you?"...

Then there's this one guy who works there and I see all the damn time - well he forever ignores me. Never once has he approached me or said "hi, may I help you". Forever yapping about something not funny. Whatever, b*tch got ugly makeup on anyways...

This doesn't really bug me because I could care less about the service unless I'm getting my makeup, you feel me? Haha. But I understand how MAC has their reputation - I just think it's the atmosphere and mainly the person. Most aren't fit for customer service. I know I would like to work there but I just can not stand customer service at all... I bet with a job like theirs they get a lot of sh*t thrown at them and knowing me - I wouldn't be quick to help people.

But I do notice that people who worked in the Macy*s MAC are waaaay nicer and really funny. I dunno if it's because the MAC store is right across theirs and they get more costumers, so they're compelled to hold onto their costumers - but they've all been really cool thus far. Too bad they don't carry pan shadows or else I wouldn't even bother going to the bigger MAC store.

Sorry I completely jacked your thread. Haha.

wow, well as an mac artist, i do see it a lot and even before i was a mac artist. At our trainings and updates, we always talk about customer service, and it's really pushed on us becuase we are aware of how some of the Artist are snooty and stuck up. Personally i think it has to do with the person. I know for a fact that i am not like that, i approach everyone if your dressed up or down, because i believe you cant judge a book by it's cover. If any of you ever feel like that i think you should talk to the manager and let them know, because i know when it happens at my counter, it gets straightened right away.

p.s. if you guys want, you guys are more than welcome to fly to Tampa, florida to come see me and i'll help you out hahahahaha

I have had a variety of experiences with rude MAC people. Sometimes it seems to be the way I am dressed-if I just run in and look awful they act like I do not belong in the store-but go in -dressed for work and it is a different story. That is so wrong. One lady was really rude once and I lost it. I told her that I was a customer and she was paid to be polite as well as showing the product. I also told her to find a job where she did not deal with people!! She hit me in the wrong mood!!!

I really appreciate hearing from a MAC MA. It's interesting that customer service is discussed at your trainings and updates and some how it doesn't filter to the floor. It seems it's not taken seriously. We'll I'll just continue to go to the pro store. Too bad you don't live out here, I would definitely come see you.

Originally Posted by Colorlicious /img/forum/go_quote.gif wow, well as an mac artist, i do see it a lot and even before i was a mac artist. At our trainings and updates, we always talk about customer service, and it's really pushed on us becuase we are aware of how some of the Artist are snooty and stuck up. Personally i think it has to do with the person. I know for a fact that i am not like that, i approach everyone if your dressed up or down, because i believe you cant judge a book by it's cover. If any of you ever feel like that i think you should talk to the manager and let them know, because i know when it happens at my counter, it gets straightened right away.
p.s. if you guys want, you guys are more than welcome to fly to Tampa, florida to come see me and i'll help you out hahahahaha

I'm intimidated by most MAC counters. The MA wear head to toe black and are usually very heavily made up, almost cartoon-like. I'm kind of afraid to go up to them.

I find Sephora more customer friendly than makeup counters.

I had a bad experience with MAC and so i emailed their customer service online. All they did was basically say they're sorry and it won't happen again. I was disgusted, they didn't even ask what store i visited or anything. I won't be going back to MAC again, their service sucks.

Originally Posted by Colorlicious /img/forum/go_quote.gif wow, well as an mac artist, i do see it a lot and even before i was a mac artist. At our trainings and updates, we always talk about customer service, and it's really pushed on us becuase we are aware of how some of the Artist are snooty and stuck up. Personally i think it has to do with the person. I know for a fact that i am not like that, i approach everyone if your dressed up or down, because i believe you cant judge a book by it's cover. If any of you ever feel like that i think you should talk to the manager and let them know, because i know when it happens at my counter, it gets straightened right away.

You're awesome, there should be more MAs like you
smile.gif

I recently went to the macys mac booth where I live and the lady was so nasty not helpful at all and she made me feel stupid. I was asking questions because I never bought the product before and she made me feel like an idiot.

I've never had problems with MAC MA's being rude to me. I do however, seem to be treated rudely by sales associates of other counters like Clinique and Lancome. I don't buy from them anymore and now pretty much shop only MAC and sometimes Smashbox.

That sucks
frown.gif
but I know what you mean, I get so mad I just walk out or leave sometimes. I love this one counter! They are always so nice and they always ask "Who was here first?" Also, the people that shop at that one counter are cool, you know how their are certain people you always bump into cuz they always shop at the same time as you do? Everytime someone is waiting and someone new comes in and gets help right away, other clients are like excuse me but this young lady was here first. And the MA's are totally cool about it, they are like "oh im so sorry, I didnt see you" or they give you free samples. Its a real nice counter, like a MAC community
smile.gif

I feel intimidated by the MAs at the mac stores, they're all in black and they look like they're about to attack you XD

which is why I never really go in to the mac stores, I go to the sephora right next to it hahaha. they're so much nicer in sephora >< I get help from sephora the second I walk in....where as MAC, I walk in and they just stare.

Update: I've actually befriended several of the MA at the Paseo Colorado store over the last month. I don't know what happened. I started noticing when I came into the store they would come up to me and just start chatting. They now about this site and specktra and appreciate the knowledge that we non-MA have. Communication, goes a long way.

I've had some experienced with MAC, too. I go to the MAC store at the local mall, and it's not a friendly environment. Like, you walk in and no one says "hello" or "welcome". And while I'm not new to makeup at all, I don't put on too much, and I prefer a more natural look. It seems as if they brush me off if I don't look like I walked straight off a runway or something. Anyway, once I DO get some service, they always rush me and I leave feeling unsatisfied because after every question they answer they ask "OK so I'll check you out now?". In my head I think Why the hell would you want to rush me out of here if I want to purchase more items? Also, I don't know if it's just me, but it seems as if they always recommend Limited Edition items before anything else... Not a bad thing for business purposes, but I'd like to have something I can come back for when I run out!

Originally Posted by MaddyBoo718 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've had some experienced with MAC, too. I go to the MAC store at the local mall, and it's not a friendly environment. Like, you walk in and no one says "hello" or "welcome". And while I'm not new to makeup at all, I don't put on too much, and I prefer a more natural look. It seems as if they brush me off if I don't look like I walked straight off a runway or something. Anyway, once I DO get some service, they always rush me and I leave feeling unsatisfied because after every question they answer they ask "OK so I'll check you out now?". In my head I think Why the hell would you want to rush me out of here if I want to purchase more items? Also, I don't know if it's just me, but it seems as if they always recommend Limited Edition items before anything else... Not a bad thing for business purposes, but I'd like to have something I can come back for when I run out! they sound like they're after their paycheck bonus if they sold a precise quantity of that precise item. i hate this, when you consider a customer by the amount of items he/she buys. i think it really depends on the person, and i know i am also judged on my appearance. sometimes it's like if you don't walk in (almost) looking like a clown, you won't get noticed.

anyway, the last time i went into a MAC store instead of sephora, i had to wait a good time before someone was available, but it's a small store, it was crowded and it was the end of a saturday afternoon. so i considered it okay. then i was maybe a bit quickly (but i believe the MA knew her stuff and i had given her a precise info on what i wanted), showed some e/s and pigments, and then the MA asked if by any chance, i also needed another product like an e/s base. it was nice enough of her considering the queue behind me. i promised myself i would go back at a less crowded time.

I also am a mac artist,and second what colorlicious said, its a HUGE deal at mac. And im surprised it was handeled the way it was. What i suggest is dont complain online, complain in person, to a manager, and if the manager doesnt help you, go higher, im poud to work for mac because of how we treat our clients. I've had so many people come in with zero makeup who have bought hundreds of dollars of stuff. Ive also had people come in with no or minimal makeup because they wanted help to chose new things so they were smart enough not to show up with makeup.

I would not stand for that lack of service, we ALWAYS ask who is first and i always ask how people are before i ask what they need.

Keep in mind, part of the goal (at least here) is to EDUCATE the client, so that you don't need us everytime you do your makeup. We dont work on comminsion, but if youre lingering or looking there are times we ask if we can just quickly pass a client who knows what they want (like misscuppycakes)

Seriously, people should be happy to help you and you dont need a ton of makeup either. Have confidence and dont be intimidated this is with eveything in life

also, we tend to tell you about "limited items" because they are the new collections usually and we want you to know about the products that have just come out, for your knowledge, dont take it badly

and like colorlicious said, feel free to fly up and see me in montreal LOL ill take care of you

Do you work at the MAC store in the International Plaza?

Thanks -Liz- I always love hearing from the MA. I updated this thread, I've befriended a few of the MA at my local store and if they need to help someone else they always ask me. I of course tell them to take their time in assisting the other customer(s). Maybe it's hormonal, there are five MA's that are pregnant in this store.

Back