Why Be a HO?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a thread to follow up on the Allure Magazine thread. Why do actresses and singers have to be ho's? If you have a pretty face is that not enough to get attention? Why do you have to show all your stuff unless you can't get attention any other way. I have a friend who has fake boobs and she always has them hanging out. In fact, the last party we had, we caught her on camera with her nipple actually hanging out because she wont cover herself up. I personally was well endowed by God in that particular manner and I do not go around hanging out. Who do you think of when you think about this type of person?

[*]Brittany Spears

[*]Tara Reid

[*]Jessica Simpson

[*]Mariah Carey

[*]Courtney Love (i can see why she shows hers, look at her face)

[*]Christina Aguilera

[*]Fergie (Black eyed peas)

[*]Angelina Jolie

[*]Lil' Kim (gross)

i guess the whole "sex sells" thing. that attracts the guys.

and then there's the whole attention part. any advertisement (being in rag-mags and all of that) is good advertisement. people are going to learn their names if they're always in the news.

I second whats said above, for example, i really like some of Christina Aguilera's music, its quite inspiring, but i hate the way she goes on about how she's sexually empowered woman not a ho etc etc, but i think getting it all out for a magazine is just false empowerment. Its one thing when men degrade you, (men are just like that) but its a whole new level of low when you voluntarily degrade yourself.

I really like Angela Jolie though, she's sexy sure, but in a natural way, she doesn't cover herself in make up and fake tan and parade around in her underwear to get attention, she comes across as a sexually empowered, confident woman not some little girl trying to justify her desperation for male attention.

I think some of these women are just proud of their bodies and they work in an industry where flashing flesh is normal. I think Angelina and Christina are a little different to the others though. In particular Christina, she has never pretended to be holier than thou (like Britney and Jessica) and comes across as an empowered woman who accepts who she is. I'd much rather people were able to dress in the way they wanted to (within the law of course) than go back to the days of having to wear floor length hobble skirts, or have to cover up like some muslim women choose to. I respect all peoples choice to dress in the way they wish, just so long as they have the choice. These performers have a choice and that's the way they choose to dress, if it offends you just ignore it.

The bad part about all that is there are young girls who emulate these people and try to dress like them. Look how many young girls and some not-so-young are showing their midriff (and much more) and didn't this happen right after Britney Spears became all the rage? Ok, so now, you'll have some young men who will treat these young girls like sex objects. If girls complain, then they'll say girls wouldn't dress this way if they didn't want the attention. Which leads into a whole other topic. Round and round it goes. Its always going to happen. Its sad because it just sets women back 100 years.

Ok, enough feminism from me.
icon_lol.gif

I think the problem is the way in which some of these stars are marketed in the first place. Initially most of the pop stars listed above targeted the teen and tween market and as they got succesful the push to sell more units comes in so they have to alter their image to get more of the market. To get more of the market you seem to have to take your clothes off. So if you want the money and the fame the clothes have to come off along with you integrity.

Unfortunately it seems that we still live in world where women's talent is overlooked in favour of other assets.

Apparently you are not trying to raise a child during this time when you we are trying to teach them that it is not normal for everyday people to dress and act like there "role models". Is it ok for our kids to think that rape and gun violence is everyday/ normal/ ok? That is what t.v. and magazines portraying these people are selling? I am only 32 and it wasn't that long ago that I thought this crap was cool also but I have a 16 yo who is growing up in a society that thinks it is ok to be a whore, no thanks!

Originally Posted by Lealabell I think some of these women are just proud of their bodies and they work in an industry where flashing flesh is normal. I think Angelina and Christina are a little different to the others though. In particular Christina, she has never pretended to be holier than thou (like Britney and Jessica) and comes across as an empowered woman who accepts who she is. I'd much rather people were able to dress in the way they wanted to (within the law of course) than go back to the days of having to wear floor length hobble skirts, or have to cover up like some muslim women choose to. I respect all peoples choice to dress in the way they wish, just so long as they have the choice. These performers have a choice and that's the way they choose to dress, if it offends you just ignore it.

Originally Posted by LuckyMe Apparently you are not trying to raise a child during this time when you we are trying to teach them that it is not normal for everyday people to dress and act like there "role models". Is it ok for our kids to think that rape and gun violence is everyday/ normal/ ok? That is what t.v. and magazines portraying these people are selling? I am only 32 and it wasn't that long ago that I thought this crap was cool also but I have a 16 yo who is growing up in a society that thinks it is ok to be a whore, no thanks! While I can understand where you are coming from, since I am still a teen, and the media is not always sending positive messages to young people, I think that it is ultimately the parent's responsibility to teach their children values and what's appropriate, not celebrities or television. My parents taught me that celebrities and all of that hubbub is just a created culture that shouldn't be a main part of your life. Sure, it's fun to read magazines and watch TV, and pay attention to pop culture, but that isn't all you should be exposed to. I have never had a celebrity role model; mine was always my older sister and real people, not fabricated images that the media spotlights on. Since I don't know you, I can't say whether your daughter has any positive, real life role models, but I can definitely say that idolizing someone that you have probably never met and probably know very little about personally isn't a role model at all. JMO

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good, if the person has loose morals; then; that's their problem!! Here's to women who are confident to show it off, You go Girl!!

I think alot of it is vulgar. I don't see how Angelina Jolie compares to Lil Kim. Courtney Love was a stripper when she met Kurt Cobain but most of the time I think she's vulgar cuz she's high.

I don't think dancing around a car in your bikini while washing it is empowering to women, it's just a way to make sure that men watch your videos and listen to your music. Singers like Christina, Jessica and Britney send mixed messages and it just confuses young women.

I agree that it would be hard to raise a young girl with these singers always being pushed on them but they need to realise that those girls are in their 20's and that it's just fantasy and has no bearing on reality.

I guess the saddest part is that their parents manage their careers, therefore support this sort of behaviour. How can we expect these women to think that it's not ok if their parents say it is?

Edit: I just had to add that I'm not sure why Mariah Carey isn't on this list.

It doesn't bother me, some people do go over board though; maybe I'm just an impressionable teen and have become somewhat 'immune' to these images. I think Britney and Tara come across as trashy, Jessica Simpson reminds me of Beyonce in a sense of creating a good christian image then doing sexy things, but I still love B! I think Mariah is actually quite classy despite those loverboy shorts and the rest of her small pieces of clothing, and Christinas' raunchy look is her trade mark. With Lil Kim, what she wears is just oturageously different but some of her actions could be consider hoe-ish, but I love her though she's kinda my idol even though I don't have one.

They have no respect whatsoever for themselves and is just wrong that the media applauds them and make their names even bigger. They should have dress code for artist, there are kids learning and wanting to be like them.

I know Paris Hilton was caught on the camera way too many times by showing her private parts, she doesn't wear underwear under a miniskirt, now thats really nasty!!!

It seems to be very challenging to them to keep themselves covered up even a little. I really have never found it to be difficult to wear a bra and not have my boobs literally falling out of my clothes constantly. I guess for some people, keeping nipples inside clothes is a feat that cant be done.
icon_lol.gif

Latest posts

Back