Why do women wear make up: beauty within fashion.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all,

I am a woman, I also wear make-up on a day to day basis.

As part of my uni work I am doing some research about beauty within fashion magazines.

I ended up focusing on three words 1.Cosmetic surgery 2. Make-up 3. Weight and will each research into all of those issues. 

so this is part of my 'make-up' re-search..

1. Do magazine images such as cosmetic adverts, celebs and more make you you feel the need/want to buy certain products or make you wish you looked a certain way.

2. what are you views on Air brushed images in magazines?

3. what is your overall view on make-up use-age, why do you use it?

I hope this doesn't come across rude or anything like that, id be grateful if I could get some feed back.

thanks for all your help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here are my answers - hope this helps!

1. Do magazine images such as cosmetic adverts, celebs and more make you you feel the need/want to buy certain products or make you wish you looked a certain way.  Sometimes I will admire a product that is featured in a magazine ad, and I may purchase it if I really like the color/price/etc. As far as models and celebrities in advertisements, no, they don't make me wish that I looked a certain way. I play to my strengths with my own looks when applying makeup :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

2. what are you views on Air brushed images in magazines? I take them for what they are - an attractive visual, but not indicative of the way that the models look in reality.

3. what is your overall view on make-up use-age, why do you use it?  I love to wear makeup! It gives me confidence, and I love to experiment with different eye/lip colors. My overall view is that everyone should wear as much or as little makeup as he/she is comfortable with.

If you're doing research, I don't think collecting data from an online forum would constitute any sort of validity. but here I go:

1. makeup that looks wearable and put-together gives me inspiration for my own looks. I don't buy products based on some photoshopped advert, I buy them based on user reviews.

2. 99.999% of the time the photoshop is horrendous--lots of artificially smoothed faces, erased wrinkles, etc. the worst is when you can totally tell they took two images and sliced them together. it's distasteful but it exists--doesn't really phase me either way. like TeresaDouglas said, it's just to display the ideal and optimized. if the advert was for mascara and the model had very visible sunspots, it would just sidetrack from the message.

3. your face and body are blank tablets; you wear clothes to express yourself through first impressions--whether that means conveying your unique style or showing how professional/appropriate you are. I feel that makeup acts in the same way; I mean, why do you not wear XXXL sweats all the time? you want to look like you make some sort of effort on your appearance, or that you care--especially at work or on a night out.

found this image and thought it was kind of funny:

Back