Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wondering what is so great about MAC myself. I've tried their stick concealer, which was okay, kinda dry through. It looked really good when the SA applied it. I have one MAC pigment, it is a bronze color and I've actually never wore it. I think I might have to do that tomorrow.

i dont nor have ever had any MAC
frown.gif
i've only started leaving the drugstore for department store makeup about 10 years ago, and i've stuck with the brands i was always familiar with: estee lauder, lancome, clinique, and elizabeth arden ... i pretty much stick to classics/neutrals but i think if i were younger and more playful with color i would want the MAC.....after reading so much here about it i am ready to try the shimpagne MSF
smile.gif

i only own one item from mac, hehe
smile.gif
it's moisture cover concealer. and I was sad to discover that it is only average, at best. I will try other products though so i can see myself if it's really worth all this hype.

Originally Posted by keaLoha /img/forum/go_quote.gif i often wonder the same thing. personally, i don't find them appealing @ all, but think their success is driven by both price point & a VAST variety of shades--for eyes, lips & skin. Cosign. I also think that the fact that they are an Estee Lauder Company opens them to great advertising budgets which enables them to have stronger promotions to readily reach the public. I am a big fan of the Mattesse NYC cosmetics Line.
brsh.gif

I think it because it appeals to every generation. It has every color you can possibly need and the colors are so vibrant. Usually shadows in even department store brands dont get the color payoff MAC gives. Their displays and counters are always eye catching too. They have the right promos, the right products and the right overall look. They also have high quality products for the most part and always have you coming back for more!

Peace on u guys

Ok i know some stuff abt MAC, i wanted to see which is better 4 indian skin. I heard many indian actresses use MAC. Later i read up, says MAC is suitable 4 fotography and studio? N its true its nt suitabe 4 everyday as it causes breakouts. Bobbi brown is much better, and u can use it everyday, but the MAC eyeshades are very good. So when it comes to MAC, i use their kohl liners and eyeshadows. Lipsticks are pretty too!!

I love MAC products mostly because I can find any color that I can imagine and they look good on my lips and eyes(I don't use any foundation at all).I really dislike the fact that the girls who work there are not any helpful at all.The last time that I bought a MAC product I asked the assistant what colors she thinks would look good at me and she was looking at me like I was an alien and she said that it is my choice what colors I want to wear....!!!!That's why I prefer to ask advice from this forum before I go there!

Originally Posted by marianna /img/forum/go_quote.gif The last time that I bought a MAC product I asked the assistant what colors she thinks would look good at me and she was looking at me like I was an alien and she said that it is my choice what colors I want to wear....!!!!That's why I prefer to ask advice from this forum before I go there! That is absurd. Luckily, anytime I've ever been into a MAC store, the SAs have nicely asked me if I needed help with anything. I don't own anything from MAC (yet), but I'll have to admit that there's an edge to the brand, the packaging, and the colors that attracts me to it.

I never used MAC i think the colors are vibrante and great but i think its too much.....theres too much shimmer and the colors are just like wow.....its great for taking picsbut i wouldnt go out with it cause its just too much i like makeup that looks natural and not over the top....but there are some colors that ive seen that look good the lighter ones though

I have a few MAC eyeshadows and they work well for me. The store clerks have been sweet to me when I've shopped at the MAC counter, and I've gotten lots of help when I've explained that I am a beginner and don't know what colours to buy etc.

However, their stuff is quite expensive here, just as in England. So if I could find a cheaper brand with as many choices regarding eyeshadow colours etc, I'd be thrilled.

Originally Posted by marianna /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love MAC products mostly because I can find any color that I can imagine and they look good on my lips and eyes(I don't use any foundation at all).I really dislike the fact that the girls who work there are not any helpful at all.The last time that I bought a MAC product I asked the assistant what colors she thinks would look good at me and she was looking at me like I was an alien and she said that it is my choice what colors I want to wear....!!!!That's why I prefer to ask advice from this forum before I go there! that's too bad... in my mall, MAC SA's are not too helpful either... they never smile at me and glare like i am intruding their space when I browse through their cosmetics :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just made my first purchase from MAC a few weeks ago. I like the eye shadows and love the fluidlines. I also purchased some foundation, but I'm still on the fence about that.

I used to be a total d/s girl, aside from a few clinique and EL things that my mom bought for me, but I am pretty much a high end convert for the most part!

I love MAC because...

*They make fdtn shades light enough for me, and the undertones aren't bright pink or orange. Pale shades are really hard to find in the d/s

*The e/s have great, unique colors, and while I agree that some may be a bit too much for most people, they have really interesting shades that look good with the lighter colors they make. I plan on buying more of their more neutral/matter shades in the future. D/s matte shades are almost always too chalky and come off when you try to blend them.

*I like the one on one advice I get from the MA's. There is one girl I really like at my counter, and last time I went, I told her what I wanted (a sheer pink lipstick w/ no shimmer) and she was very happy to help me, and sanitize the lipsticks and tell me what she thought. Some that were not right she came out and said it, and wasn't pushy at all. I could tell she was being objective and wanted to sell me something that was just right.

I LOVE Mac, but have just started loving them the last year. My Macy's has the nicest and coolest MA's so that helps too.

I have to agree about the service. The MAC girls in my local Nordstroms do look down their noses at their customers. Its funny because it seems that they hire more edgy looking people... more so than the other cosmetic counters. Additionally the attendants seem to wear really bright make-up colors while i'm more muted and natural in color choice. But i'm a firm believer that if color is applied and blended well, it can look soft and natural- even with the greens and purples. I have 6 MAC ES colors now and I love them, and the last time I went, the lady who helped me was really sweet- although this is NOT the norm.

Now the MAC website on the other hand has busted my chops with their poor customer service. First they send me a confirmation on an item that has sold out, wait days to contact me so that geting the item elsewhere is near impossible and now the one other item that I ordered came today damaged. Since they sold out of everything they cannot replace my item. I'm about to contact the Better Business Bureau and my friend who works for the media, because I've truly had enough of this RIDICULOUSNESS!

So there's the dilemma, how much to put up with because you like the make-up???

Take care,

Anna M.
pedro.gif

I know back when I wasn't thrilled with Mac, it was mainly because of poor service too - not because of the makeup. Thankfully, they hired some nice, helpful people now...unfortunately, looks like they have poor service in a lot of other areas.

I love MAC!! I have never been unhappy with any of their products!!

I love their foundations through to their lipglosses. I could do a whole face of MAC very easy. I dont think it looks fake or too made up.

Oh but the sales assistants can be a different story. I find many of them arrogant. I purchase most of my MAC online before even seeing it in person.

I've often pondered this question about MAC as well, I think the colors are simply amazing and the quality is great, but I also feel that MAC can sometimes be overrated. There are many other quality products for far more reasonable prices that can offer the same look. I love MAC, but honestly there are tons of products I love more...so I guess I'm torn...LOL

I have been using store brand eyeshadows for years and was never happy with any of the colors that I found, I finaly just would stick to one color and that was it. I wanted to expierment more. But the department store colors faded to quickly or looked completely different than they did in the package.

We don't leave near a Mac, but when we got to one, I started browsing the shades and the girl was really helpful and made alot of suggestions. I pondered it for awhile and then I realized how much I spent wasting money of department store brands.

So I bought a few Mac's and I have been hooked ever since.

I love the color choices, and the combinations that you can come up with.

For me eyeshadow last a really long time since I don't wear it every day, so it is worth it to me to spend a little more.

Well, if you typically buy drugstore makeup, then MAC is much more expensive. But I almost always buy things on the premise that I'd rather have quality than quantity. MAC's e/s is very pigmented so that gives me the option of applying it lightly, and having a light color, or applying it darker for a more intense look. It has never creased for me, even after working out!!
smile.gif
I just don't like most of the drugstore e/s colors all that much and they look so washed out and pale because there's hardly any pigment in the makeup. I'm not a fan of MAC's mascara, but I always use a little concealer for undereye area. And even though their lipgloss / lipglass / lustreglass is sticky, it's sexy, shiny and stays on forever!! I love it!

Latest posts

Back