why is my hair splitting?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I only use heat on my hair once a week and I use a heat protector (L'oreal hot straight". Why would my hair be getting split ends? Any help? I am trying to grow my hair long but at least once a week I'd like to make my hair look nice!

Even if you are trying to grow your hair, you must have regular trims.

Each month your hair grows about 1/2 inch.

So grow your hair 3 months - 1 1/2 inches.

Then get 1/2 inch trimmed.

I know this sounds like too much hair cutting. But if I do my math right, in a year your hair should be about 4 inches longer and free of split ends.

how hot is your straightener? The melting point of hair is like 460 degrees, so you should never really go above 340 if you have super curly hair, and 300 if you have straighter hair, otherwise your hair will split!

Do you use a heat protector? I use TRESemme and got2be (I like to switch back and forth), and they both work well.

I have split ends too (got my hair dyed one too many times), and recently started using the TRESemme leave in spray conditioner...I've already noticed a difference. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been using that Moroccan oil, Macadamia oil (smells great), and Aura Glow from Heritage on my hair a lot and my hair has less fallout and feels thicker. I should have done this long ago on my straw hair! The Aura glow is really oily so I only use it at home to treat my hair then wash out.

The only way to get rid of split ends is by cutting your hair.  Even though you avoid heat styling, water is damaging to your hair, and it is going to naturally split with age regardless of how well you take care of it.

maybe your hair shampoo is too oil, i had ever used the L'oreal  product, but i think it is suitable for my hair. why not change for another brand

Originally Posted by lindsaykeke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only way to get rid of split ends is by cutting your hair.  Even though you avoid heat styling, water is damaging to your hair, and it is going to naturally split with age regardless of how well you take care of it.
I agree - if your hair is splitting on the ends, get it trimmed :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. You don't have to take too much length off, just enough so that your hair looks healthy. I don't do any heat styling these days, yet I still get split ends from time to time.

I think even if you use a heat protectant and don't apply heat to your hair often, you're still going to eventually get some split ends.  Even if you didn't you'd eventually get a few split ends with time.

Latest posts

Back