Wiccan, Pagan, Santería... anyone?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nox

Reaction score
I would like to know if there are any Wicca/Pagan/Santería enthusiasts on the board.

1. Was this life philosophy handed down to you, or did you decide later in life to take it up?

2. What is the biggest misconception you think the general public has about your personal practice?

3. What are some trademark festivities that are usually associated with your religion/practice?

4. What is it about your practice that you really appreciate?

What an interesting thread. I would be interested in knowing too. I don't know much about it.
smile.gif

For any one who is opposed, please refrain from making any negative comments in this thread. It would be greatly appreciated and respectful. (I am only asking this because some one told me they always get a negative reaction when they tell)

I thought I'd add, it's okay to have your own opinion just say it nicely
handkuss.gif

I'm Pagan/ Wiccan

1. Was this life philosophy handed down to you, or did you decide later in life to take it up? I found it when I was a teenager

2. What is the biggest misconception you think the general public has about your personal practice? I'm evil.

3. What are some trademark festivities that are usually associated with your religion/practice?

* February 2 - Imbolc

* March 21 - Ostara (Spring Equinox)

* May 1 - Beltane

* June 22 - Midsummer (Summer Solstice)

* August 2 - Lughnasadh

* September 21 - Mabon (Autumn Equinox)

* November 1 - Samhain

* December 21 - Yule (Winter Solstice)

4. What is it about your practice that you really appreciate? I have a deeper bond with the earth. I feel more at home with these particular beliefs than I did in any Christian faith.

BTW, I have a BS Degree in Religion from the University of Florida.
smile.gif

well I have a passing interest.. I've cast a spell before
blush.gif
aaand, I read tarot. I find them interesting and I have respect for them but I'm not a practising wiccan or anything else. It's definately interesting to me, but not something I'm overly obsessed with, LOL

and, another thing - i think it's awful that people would be rude about ANY religious choice! I go by the philosophy if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm Pagan/ Wiccan
1. Was this life philosophy handed down to you, or did you decide later in life to take it up? I found it when I was a teenager

2. What is the biggest misconception you think the general public has about your personal practice? I'm evil.

* February 2 - Imbolc

* March 21 - Ostara (Spring Equinox)

* May 1 - Beltane

* June 22 - Midsummer (Summer Solstice)

* August 2 - Lughnasadh

* September 21 - Mabon (Autumn Equinox)

* November 1 - Samhain

* December 21 - Yule (Winter Solstice)

4. What is it about your practice that you really appreciate? I have a deeper bond with the earth. I feel more at home with these particular beliefs than I did in any Christian faith.

BTW, I have a BS Degree in Religion from the University of Florida.
smile.gif

I have a facsination with Pagan rites. I have been to a couple Beltain gatherings at night, I have to say it's quite interesting.
I also noticed how all the important holidays in the Christan calendar fall around the same dates as Pagan holidays. I don't think the Vatican did that on accident...

But anyhow, I find it interesting to learn about different "non mainstream" (depending on who you ask) practices. I know that voodoo is not really a religion, but from the stuff I've seen, I really believe that sh!t is for real!!! I definitely do not wanna piss off a voodoo priestess, that's for sure.

Anyway, I just like learning about all the different "old-world" religions, it's all really very intruiging.

My Dad's mom believes in Santeria and all that jazz... voodoo practice ain't my thing.

I remember when I was younger she would put me in a metal tub full of frijoles and rub a live chicken around me. I think it was to bring good fortune or something like that?

I dunno - but the chicken freaked me out.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have a facsination with Pagan rites. I have been to a couple Beltain gatherings at night, I have to say it's quite interesting.
I also noticed how all the important holidays in the Christan calendar fall around the same dates as Pagan holidays. I don't think the Vatican did that on accident...

But anyhow, I find it interesting to learn about different "non mainstream" (depending on who you ask) practices. I know that voodoo is not really a religion, but from the stuff I've seen, I really believe that sh!t is for real!!! I definitely do not wanna piss off a voodoo priestess, that's for sure.

Anyway, I just like learning about all the different "old-world" religions, it's all really very intruiging.

My area of expertise is Pre-Christian religions of the Ancient Classical World. Basically religions from Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire. I think those are as "old world" as you can get. LOL.
It is NOT an accident that many Christian holidays are based on or around the dates of Pagan holidays. The Pagans try to celebrate the ancient holidays from the Pre-Christian religious movements and cults. You can trace most if not all major Religious holidays celebrated today back to their roots, which are based in ancient traditions.

Actually, my own definition of Paganism is probably different from what other people may define it. To me, "Pagan" is an umbrella term, which includes the religions that worship more than one god, in other words, polytheistic religions.

However, I do not personally add any of the World Religions in my personal definition, such as Hinduism.

**Sorry if this is too much information. I hope I didn't piss off anyone. If you don't believe me about the holidays, look them up.
smile.gif

Can you tell I've studied this for a long time now?
rotfl.gif

Latest posts

Back