Winter protection for hair & skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
fab_ideas.gif

from Real Simple

Look Beautiful This Fall & Winter

Yes, bundling up is smart -- but it isn't the only way to protect your hair, eyes and skin from the elements. Here's how to look your best as the temperatures drop.

1.Flyaway Hair

How to prevent: Cold temperatures, wind and excessive combing can create a buildup of negative ions on the hair shafts, which causes individual strands to repel one another, explains Roberta J. Hawk, a dermatologist in Billings, Mont. In a word: static. "Use a mild shampoo for dry hair, and always use conditioner, which gets rid of negative ions," she says. Our pick: Redken Smooth Down Shampoo ($8.50, inStore) and Conditioner ($10, inStore). How to treat: River Lloyd, a hairstylist at the Peter Coppola Salon in New York City, suggests spraying Static Guard ($3.50 at drugstores) onto a hairbrush and brushing it through hair. "It always works," he says.

2. Flaky Face

How to prevent: To keep skin from flaking, avoid products that contain alcohol, which is drying. Instead, use a gentle cleanser and switch to a richer moisturizer, such as Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisturizing Cream ($10, inStore). "I especially use it after skiing," says Lenora Felderman, a New York City dermatologist. How to treat: Continue to wash with a mild cleanser, such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser ($4, inStore). Moisturize several times a day. At night apply a heavy-duty lotion, such as Lac-Hydrin Five Moisturizing Lotion ($7, inStore). Then use a hydrating mask weekly. Our pick: Zia Natural Skincare Oat Milk Detoxifying Mask ($23, inStore)

3. Chapped Lips

How to prevent: There's no such thing as too much lip balm. It's your first line of defense against chapped lips, says Jayne Fortson, a dermatologist in Anchorage, Alaska. Try ChapStick or Carmex ($2 each at drugstores), which contain a moisturizing ingredient such as lanolin or petrolatum. Wear a lip balm with SPF if you plan on spending more than 30 minutes outside. Our pick: Dermatone Moisturizing Lip Balm SPF 23 ($2, www.dermatone.com). Unlike many balms, it won't crystallize in cold weather. Says Jeanie Leddon, a dermatologist in Lafayette, Colo.: "Also, avoid licking your lips. That dries them out even more." How to treat: Coat lips a couple of times a day with a heavy-duty emollient, such as Aquaphor Healing Ointment ($2, inStore), which seals moisture into skin. "That should rehydrate lips within a day or two," Felderman says.

4. Dry Hands

How to prevent: The thin skin covering the hands is particularly susceptible to dehydration during the winter. Protect it by wearing gloves outdoors and using rubber gloves when doing dishes. And each time you wash your hands, moisturize afterward. "Keep a jar of cream by every sink in the house," says Leddon. Our pick: TheraSeal Hand Protection ($12, inStore). How to treat: For an extra moisture boost, apply a thick layer of hand cream before bed, and sleep wearing white cotton gloves (available at drugstores). The gloves allow better absorption of the cream.

5. Rough Elbows

How to prevent: "Elbows have a thicker top layer of skin, which is easily disrupted by the loss of moisture," Hawk says. To keep them smooth, exfoliate with a scrub twice a week and apply a thick cream every day. Our pick: The Healing Garden Exfoliating Body Scrub ($6, inStore). How to treat: Twice a day, slather elbows with a hydrating cream, such as Lac-Hydrin Five Moisturizing Lotion ($7; at inStore). To soften extra-rough elbows, apply a layer of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly ($3 at drugstores) before bed to seal in moisture, Felderman says. Then, if you're really motivated, cover them with terry-cloth wristbands to keep your sheets clean and let the moisturizer work during the night.

Great Post Harleymom & for anyone that suffers from ALL of these you can buy just one product to solve the lot.. Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream!! I bought it a few months backed & only used it once or twice & didn't think much of it. Took it out at the weekend though & i'm hooked!!

Originally Posted by laura127 Great Post Harleymom & for anyone that suffers from ALL of these you can buy just one product to solve the lot.. Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream!! I bought it a few months backed & only used it once or twice & didn't think much of it. Took it out at the weekend though & i'm hooked!! Thanks for the info. Laura! I'll have to look into that, my skin gets soooooo dry in the winter months.

Back