Wisdom teeth

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I'm excited for the ice cream part! I have 3 days off work for it, plus the weekend so plenty of recovery time. I went shopping yesterday for soft foods...mashed potatoes, soup, yogurt, pudding, and of course ice cream! Plus some protein powder because I'm a dork and actually concerned about the fact that I won't be eating enough protein!

I bet I will have the biggest chipmunk cheeks ever! I already have round cheeks!

I have to get all four of mine out, but I'm such a wuss. For some strange reason, as soon as I sit in the chair I start tearing up. I say it's all those years I spent getting braces that traumatized me.
frown.gif
The sight of the needle, the sound of the drill, I hate it all. I hope they put me out. I don't want to see, hear or feel anything. After reading all these stories, I may actually make that appointment. I can almost feel the tears starting just thinking about it. I'm hopeless. Good luck to you.

I went in for a routine cleaning & left one tooth less than what I walked in with. Luckily, my oral surgeon is a colleague & removed it w/in 2 minutes flat. It was fully impacted & require no IV sed or nitrous.

Make sure you have some tofu, oatmeal & jello around b/c you probably won't be able to eat well for a few days. Scrambled eggs & yogurt are also good, but by the end of the week, you should be fine.

The ONE thing you need to do is follow your post-op instructions b/c you don't want to risk dry sockets. Don't smoke, spit or drink through a straw b/c those are puckering/sucking motions that will lead to dry sockets. You'll want to spit, but stand over your sink & let any saliva drool out of your mouth. Sounds weird, but in the long run, you'll be glad you did it.

Good luck!
smile.gif

I don't know what day this week you are having it done but I'm sending good thoughts your way.

I had a couple of mine surgically removed a long time ago. I did get a dry socket afterwards with one. That sh*t is painful. I had to go back to the dentist daily for treatments. Normally, that doesn't happen though. Follow all directions.

Good luck!
icon_smile.gif

Hey girls,

Well I got it done this morning! It went so much better than I expected! I went in around 10 and was out by 11. I've been eating, talking on the phone, etc with no problems. I'm really in no pain, other than some nausea, seriously this is nothing to be afraid of! Thanks for the good thoughts, I guess they worked!

For those who are nervous like I was, read on for my experience so far:

They gave me nitrous oxide (laughing gas) first and that just relaxed me and made me feel good...then they stated the IV which included a sedative. I was concious (they say), but I don't remember anything. When I got done, I felt nautious, probably a combo of the sedative/not having eaten in over 14 hours, and I was drooling and stuff, but it was fine. I slept for a while. The only thing I remember is crying because I wanted to throw up, but wasn't allowed to!

I really felt no pain at all! I took an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory around 3:00 just to prevent infection, but I went to the store with my friend, ate some food, etc...no problem. Around 7:00 my lower jaw started throbbing so I finally took the vicodin which made me feel good, but I was so nauseous that I threw up which is bad I think, I'm still nauseous so I think I'm gonna deal with the pain instead of taking it again. Other than that, everything is great!

I was terrified about this for ever and always get anxious about medical stuff, but this was soooo easy! I feel like I could go to work tomorrow and be fine!

Glad that everything went well. Isnt laughing gas the best? They gave it to me when I had my root canal.

Thanks girls!

Marisol - yes laughing gas is my favorite thing ever! I've had it a few times in the past, I love the relaxed feeling!

Hi bonbon412, glad everything worked out fine and you are ok!

Does anyone know the average age that wisdom teeth come through? I was told by my dentist that mine are coming through (seen on xray) but i am 36 and still waiting for them to appear! Do wisdom teeth only grow on the upper jaw?

Originally Posted by bonbon412

Thanks girls!Marisol - yes laughing gas is my favorite thing ever! I've had it a few times in the past, I love the relaxed feeling!

Welcome back! I had mine out years ago right before my braces were installed
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine Oh I can imagine feeling that in your mouth! I had them in my head and I can still feel where they tied the "knot". Ahhh! I had surgery in 2002. I had something called a hematoma in my cheek. They knocked me out and cut the inside my cheek so I wouldnt have a scar. When I woke up my mouth had dried blood all over. I was really groggy from the surgery. They wheeled me out to the car in a wheel chair and I tried to get up to walk and my legs were so weak. My mom had to help me walk. But they put those dissolving stiches in my cheek. It was so gross, Feeling them in my mouth, It felt like I had a big gap in my cheek.
eek.gif

But anyway, I had two wisdom teeth out and they just numbed me. I bled qiute a bit. But just keep changing you gauge and eat really soft food. If you smoke you cant smoke for like three days either.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Do you smoke or something??? .....UHHH I did smoke for ten years. I quite smoking though last summer. ............ I was just trying to be nice..........sorry
icon_question.gif

im having mine removed soon and im pretty scared, i heard that if the nerves get damaged you could end up with a numb tongue and lower lip forever! but i guess its not very likely from what u all have said. i feel a bit better having read your posts, it doesnt seem too bad. im gonna be asleep when they do it too. im just worried that they will take too long with booking me in for surgery, and my teeth will get crooked. thats like my worst nightmare, and theyve already started crowding and getting bent a bit, i can barely get floss in between them now
frown.gif
if they get bad, especially my upper ones im gonna get braces. does anyone know how much braces cost in the UK?

My husband is having his out next week. Of course at 41 and fully in, they are not abcessed so we do not have a choice. But a word of warning for those who have to take vicodin or anything with codein afterwords, it WILL make you vary constipated if you are not careful. I know that is alot of info but you will thank me down the road!

Well, I admit I haven't read this whole thread...but here's what my wisdom tooth experience was like(a year ago)-

I am really really sensitive to anesthesia so I throw up all day afterwards. I told the surgeon that and he said they'd give me something that nobody he's ever had has gotten sick off of...but I did anyway. And it's gross when you throw up, because it's all blood. Scary! Anyway...I was on Valium(because I FREAK out about these things)...and they had me waiting so long it wore off too early. So I was sitting in the waiting room crying when the anesthesiologist(right word?) came over and grabbed me, gave me nitrous oxide(laughing gas). Then he insisted on talking to me...which is not a good idea when I'm unhappy/feeling gross. And then I felt like I had to barf, so I said that, he told me to sit up, and I threw up on him. Yikes. The second I did that the Surgeon FINALLY came in(50 minutes since I had arrived) to do the surgery. Afterwards, apparently I barfed on that guy again! haha he had to change into different scrubs twice. Anyway...it wasn't pleasant, but because I took 3 advils(with the smallest amount of water possible) and kept my face on ice, I didn't swell or bruise at all. It was a little sore, but I didn't use the prescription stuff(percocet), I just used advil and that was enough. Anyway...that's my story. haha it isn't very pleasant, but looking back, it probably could've been a ton worse.

Okay well apparently I am the odd ball because my wisdom tooth experience sucked! It was horrible. I got all four taken out, I was put under but while I was sitting in the chair waiting for the surgeon, I started crying because I was so scared! Then he had to keep giving me shots to make me go to sleep. And it didn't help that the doctor started uncovering the "tools" he was going to use before I was out!!! Nobody wants to see that! When I was done, my husband carried me out to the car and apparently I was in and out of consciousness (sp?) because he said I kept telling him I didn't want to go swimming and asking him is he was going to swim!! I guess I was a little loopy! But they gave me Lortab (?) but I couldn't take it because it made me sick. And the Advil wasn't coming close to taking care of the pain. I had an exposed nerve and couldn't drink anything hot or cold, and couldn't eat because the pain was so bad. So the good news was I lost 10 pounds over the course of a week and a half but I was MISERABLE!!! Don't want to be the one with the "bad" story but that was just my experience.

I have been told I may have to remove my wisdom teeth next year when I'm done with my braces. This thread has been helpful in anticipating what is involved, thanks everyone! I have just one more question - what is the gum area where the teeth were removed like now? Is it just a hole or does new tissue grow there? Is the socket hard or "gummy"? Did anyone's nerves become desensitised by the procedure (during or after)?

OK that was more than one Q lol
icon_lol.gif

Latest posts

Back