Wisdom teeth

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ley I have been told I may have to remove my wisdom teeth next year when I'm done with my braces. This thread has been helpful in anticipating what is involved, thanks everyone! I have just one more question - what is the gum area where the teeth were removed like now? Is it just a hole or does new tissue grow there? Is the socket hard or "gummy"? Did anyone's nerves become desensitised by the procedure (during or after)?
OK that was more than one Q lol
icon_lol.gif

well for me i can still feel a pretty big dent where my bottom teeth were. my upper ones hadnt grown out yet so there it feels normal, but the bottom ones were half out and it feels a bit weird there still, a few months after the surgery. the tissue can be gummy in the beginning but now its normal. and half my face was numb for a few days after the procedure, but it wore off gradually.

Originally Posted by cottoncandy well for me i can still feel a pretty big dent where my bottom teeth were. my upper ones hadnt grown out yet so there it feels normal, but the bottom ones were half out and it feels a bit weird there still, a few months after the surgery. the tissue can be gummy in the beginning but now its normal. and half my face was numb for a few days after the procedure, but it wore off gradually. It's the dent that worries me - wisdom teeth are so deep rooted that I can't imagine the hole completely filling with new tissue growth. doesn't that mean food and stuff will get lodged in there? I have a funny visual image in my head now...
icon_wink.gif
smile.gif

I had all four wisdom teeth pulled July '05. It wasn't that bad. They give you a syringe to "irrigate" the pits until they are healed. You are not allowed to eat solid foods for 3 days after the procedure (drink lots of soups). Then you can start moving "soft" foods (think yogurt, etc)...stuff that doesn't need to be chewed much. Then, you start eating the harder foods.

The most painful part of my wisdom pull was the dry socket. Sometimes the blood clot in the socket dislodges (for any reason) and you get these shooting pains in your mouth. Owwwwwie!! But, it's easily reversible, so once I got it packed, I was fine.

All I can say is that I dealt with my wisdom teeth for 6 years before I had them pulled. And, after all of the pain went away and I was feeling "normal" (about a week later) I realized that it was the first time in 6 years that I didn't have that slight "headache"...where it's not a headache...but this dull, achy feeling in my head. Since I've had my wisdoms out, my teeth have shifted slightly back into place (it got to where I couldn't floss my teeth...they were so smashed together) and I'm completely head-pain free (no headaches, no jaw aches, nothing). It's a good thing.

Oh, I'll answer your questions...heh. It's been about 8 months since I've had my procedure and there's a small indent...but nothing major...I had no bruising, no desensitization, no problems (except for the dry socket). Over time, the socket will fill with new tissue (just like every other part of your body). As for gummy...I dunno what you mean, it feels like tissue and it's not gelatinous goo that is there...but you know, it feels like the gum tissue above your teeth do. Of course, every one has a different experience, but for the most part, science and surgery has advanced so much that, unless something is really, really bad...most people do not have horribly negative side-effects.

It's ok to be scared...but the end results...you'll kick yourself for waiting for so long.
wink.gif

wow, im gettin mines done this tues 3/7...

my question is do i want to be put to sleep? its 300 extra!

Originally Posted by Ley It's the dent that worries me - wisdom teeth are so deep rooted that I can't imagine the hole completely filling with new tissue growth. doesn't that mean food and stuff will get lodged in there? I have a funny visual image in my head now...
icon_wink.gif
smile.gif
it will take a few months for the holes to fill up, but its not that bad actually, i didnt really have problems with food getting stuck there, and if you do you can always get it out with your tongue or when u brush your teeth.

Originally Posted by sweetface18 wow, im gettin mines done this tues 3/7...my question is do i want to be put to sleep? its 300 extra!

i was and im glad! but it depends how many they are taking out, for me it was all 4! if ure just having one done then id say its not necessary, but it also depends on wether you are willing to sit through all the drilling and pulling and blood, which i know i wasnt!

Originally Posted by cottoncandy i was and im glad! but it depends how many they are taking out, for me it was all 4! if ure just having one done then id say its not necessary, but it also depends on wether you are willing to sit through all the drilling and pulling and blood, which i know i wasnt! i'm gettin four out too! 2 of em are impacted and those are the ones that i'm worried about!

Originally Posted by sweetface18 i'm gettin four out too! 2 of em are impacted and those are the ones that i'm worried about! Good luck for your operation! From what everyone says it's not as scary as it sounds and you'll feel much better with them out than in
smile.gif

i cant wait to get mine out. i have all four coming in and all they do is cause me pain. not good times

Getting your top teeth out is no big deal.... but the bottom teeth tend to cause a bit more pain.I had 6 teeth out at once, 4 wisdom teeth and 2 premolars all for ortho reasons. I did not have a good experience b/c I ended up with nerve damage. My lower lip, chin & lower teeth were numb for 4 months post op. I did not have a lot of pain but I was bruised and swollen. It usually only takes 2-3 days to get back to normal no matter how difficult the surgery was.

Good luck and I hope all these stories have not scared you..... it's not always bad.

I actually felt good when the dentist removed my left top about 3 weeks ago. He was good that it took only 15 seconds to pull it out!!

The injection was stinging a bit but that was only pain I had.

It's been difficut to brush it so I am glad that I made it.
laughno.gif

If they're impacted, you may want to get the anesthesia. I went under and I am glad I did. One minute I was sitting in the chair, the next minute I was sitting in recovery. I liked it better that way. All 4 of mine were impacted, but it turned out that one root was longer and caused more "problems" than they anticipated (it didn't look to be a "problem" on the x-rays).

I vote yes.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Welcome back! I had mine out years ago right before my braces were installed
wink.gif
Installed? LOL
laughing.gif

Please do not let me ever have to have my wisdom teeth out.
wacko.gif

Forgot to mention how much it cost.

I got injection - the one from syringe, got removed wisdom tooth out, then given a few painkillers for later. was about 5,000 yen = around 43 dallars.

If it was under the gum, price would be a lil different.

I wanna get the last one to be removed which is left bottom, maybe in next month after my left top gum healed. then all done!

no more biting inner cheek
scared.gif

Back