Wisdom teeth

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out this week. I have a lot of anxiety about this stuff...the IV sedation, reactions to the pain killers, etc. Have any of you had them out and what was your experience like? Also any bad reactions to the pain killers? I think I'm getting vicodin...I hate taking medicines!

Originally Posted by bonbon412 Hi,I'm getting my wisdom teeth out this week. I have a lot of anxiety about this stuff...the IV sedation, reactions to the pain killers, etc. Have any of you had them out and what was your experience like? Also any bad reactions to the pain killers? I think I'm getting vicodin...I hate taking medicines!

I had to have one pulled - top right. They only gave me novacaine shots... no sedation. (even if they did all 4 - they still don't sedate) Honestly, the shot of novacaine right into the side of the tooth *it had cracked & got infected* that KILLED. But the actual pulling - didn't feel a thing. It was out in 2 secs. and I honestly thought it was easier than when I had to get a tooth pulled on the left side (right behind the canine) I have still yet to get that bridged (I look like a Hilbilly
icon_redface.gif
) Luckily it's not that noticable! Just waiting till I have the $ for it. (The tooth was really infected from the inside out - so root canal became an extraction
frown.gif
) Anyhoooo, the wisdom's are easy. There's some swelling and bleeding, but I didn't really have any unbearable pain. I filled the perscription for Vicodins, but never actually took any. I'm not one for pills. And the dentist told me not to take them If I didn't have to. So I took a Tylenol and I was fine. It was sore, but nothing horrible. I think the anticipation and the stories from people are more than what it really is.
icon_rolleyes.gif
You'll be fine!
wink.gif
It'll take 10 min.
tongue.gif

i had all 4 (i think it was 4?) taken out at the same time. i had braces, so don't want to be messing up my teeth again if they stayed in. (pushing and crowding my teeth).

anyways, they put me under. didn't feel a thing thank god. i hate being awake at the dentist and having to keep my mouth open and stuff. i was groggy when i woke up though. didn't want to wake up. lol. i did throw up a few times though. it didn't really hurt afterwards. like the pain medication though! lol. j/k

it was just weird knowing the fact that there were holes in your mouth and the skin of your gums are kind of flapping around. hehe. sorry to turn you off. it's really not so bad. they give you meds! hehe

I hope mine is like yours Janelle! Yuck I don't want flappy gums! My two top ones are half way out so I don't think it'll be too bad, but the bottom two are impacted and grew in sideways under the gums. They told me to get them out 5 years ago, I freaked out and stopped going to the dentist since I was in college so now they are kinda bad and messed up my dental work (pushed my teeth together) so I have to have braces again!

hehe. it's not really flappy gums. it's just like holes, but they have to do something with the gums. so they put like 1 or 2 stcieches to hold them together and then you have to flush them out after you eat. or at least that's how it was for me.

i had a root canal also. it wasn't as bad as what people say/think. i just don't like having to hold my mouth open for such a long time. and i don't like the shril whirring from the tools. that was the only things that bothered me.

i had only been put under once for getting my teeth pulled

i was getting my braces i had 7 teeth done at one time i had laughing gas that stuff is a trip i must say lol

(i had 10 teeth pulled all together)

my brother just had his wisdom teeth pulled. you will have to make sure to rinse with salt water often, make sure you clean out the sockets very well get all the food and gunk out (my brother actually asked me to get food out of his holes which grossed me out and i told him to have mom do it)

your mouth heals very quickly so it shouldn't hurt too bad after a day or two. no drinking out of straws for awhile get some good soups for the first day or two and then whip up some milk shakes too.

and make sure to get plenty of vicodin!!! (good stuff especially after a shot)

hmmm... my dentist doesn't do sedation or stiches! LOL I feel gypped! lol Actually it healed up VERY fast (both teeth) and no socket pockets - lol So I guess they have a good trick there
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Anya1976 i had only been put under once for getting my teeth pulledi was getting my braces i had 7 teeth done at one time i had laughing gas that stuff is a trip i must say lol

(i had 10 teeth pulled all together)

my brother just had his wisdom teeth pulled. you will have to make sure to rinse with salt water often, make sure you clean out the sockets very well get all the food and gunk out (my brother actually asked me to get food out of his holes which grossed me out and i told him to have mom do it)

your mouth heals very quickly so it shouldn't hurt too bad after a day or two. no drinking out of straws for awhile get some good soups for the first day or two and then whip up some milk shakes too.

and make sure to get plenty of vicodin!!! (good stuff especially after a shot)

hahahahaha.

10 teeth!
icon_eek.gif
whoa

Originally Posted by bonbon412 Hi,I'm getting my wisdom teeth out this week. I have a lot of anxiety about this stuff...the IV sedation, reactions to the pain killers, etc. Have any of you had them out and what was your experience like? Also any bad reactions to the pain killers? I think I'm getting vicodin...I hate taking medicines!

My experience was yucky, just cuz they had to remove all 4 because they are all impacted. Bleh! I also have a small jaw, so it was kinda tricky. But they knocked me the hell out! The actual surgery isn't painful, it's just the recovery process. Make sure that you have someone to drive you home afterwards and don't expect to do much of anything for the next day. I think I went through a Costco sized ice cream tub (are those things like 3 gallons?) in 2 days -- yikes!
wink.gif

But hey, better to get them out now! From what my doctor told me, the process is only tougher the older you get. Younger people spring back faster.

Best wishes my dear!

Originally Posted by Liz hahahahaha.

10 teeth!
icon_eek.gif
whoa

yea i had too many teeth for my mouth... hard to believe since i do have such a big mouth huh

I had my wisdom teeth removed and its really not as bad as some people say. Of course if you have a good surgeon, it goes even smoother. I didn't feel any pain during the extraction and afterwards. I had several shots of novacaine, which does pinch but just for a moment. Once your numb, you don't feel anything. Believe it or not, the whole part that really bothers ME the most is keepin my jaw open for an hour during the process.
icon_frown.gif

I had a prescription for Vicodin, but I didn't take it. Don't take it unless you really need to, because that's a strong drug and a narcotic. My dentist told me to eat ice cream afterwards and let the ice cream melt in the area of my incision. I did just that and I had no swelling afterwards, no pain, etc. It was worth the extra calories!
tongue.gif

I had all 4 wisdom teeth cut out at once. (They weren't showing above the gum yet; they were coming in so crooked that if we didn't cut them out when we did, they would have pushed on my other teeth and I would have had to have braces again!) They put me all the way under, and the only side effect from the anesthesia was double vision for about 10 minutes after I woke up.

I don't know what kind of pain killer they gave me, but I had to take an anti-nasea pill 10 minutes before taking the pain killer! The only side effect I had was drowsiness, I slept a lot for the 5 days I took the pills! (Fortunately I was out of school for the summer!)

Since my teeth were cut out, my cheeks swelled up so I looked like a bulldog! (Meanwhile, my brother had his teeth pulled after they had started breaking through the gums, so he didn't swell much or experience as much pain!). I couldn't eat solid food for about 5 days because it hurt .... I lived off of instant mashed potatoes, soup, and chocolate pudding! (One day my mom made me warm chocolate pudding for breakfast, yummy!) I couldn't eat ice cream though because my teeth were also cold sensitive for a while! I also couldn't drink out of a straw because the suction pulled on the stitches.

The stiches they gave me were the kind that starts dissolving after about 10 days ... so for a few days I would suddenly have a piece of stiches come loose and start floating around in my mouth, yuck!
tongue.gif
But that means I didn't have to go in for a second appointment to get the stitches out.

Oh, it wasn't that bad ... I just sat around in front of the TV for 5 days and ate chocolate pudding!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek Oh, it wasn't that bad ... I just sat around in front of the TV for 5 days and ate chocolate pudding!
biggrin.gif
well that's a good thing lol pudding and tv mmm lol

i have a round face, so it wasn't too much of a difference with the swelling. lol.

i had the disolving stitches too. blech.

eek! i've never had stitches or surgery other than my wisdom teeth.

Oh wisdom teeth are not fun! I had four of mine(all impacted) removed at the same time. I went in and they gave me an IV and a sedative and was fully under during the procedure. I don't remember much, obviously but the dental surgeon said I was talking to the paintings and singing in his recovery room. There was some bleeding and they stuck rolls of gauze in my mouth. Must have looked really attractive drooling and bleeding with cotton in my choppers lol.

He gave me some demerol and ibuprofen and a little syringe to rinse out the back of my mouth to prevent the dreaded dry sockets. I never got the dry sockets and had a little facial swelling. The pain was tolerable and could not eat/drink anything but liquid. The saver for me was ice packs on my cheeks and the ibuprofen. I have a high pain tolerance and the demerol did jack squat for my pain. My face was a little bruised.Slight chipmunk cheeks.

I managed to go back to work in 2 days being the workaholic I was at the time. I kept my mouth clean and used the little syringe faithfully. A few days later, I went back and had the sutures removed. I had a good experience, but have heard the gamut of stories from friends good and bad. Everything will be fine.Good luck!
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by Liz i have a round face, so it wasn't too much of a difference with the swelling. lol.
i had the disolving stitches too. blech.

What? You don't have a round face! I think my face is wider than yours and it's not even that round! (Actually my face is a little more square than round anyway
wink.gif
) I would say you have a nice oval face since it is definitely longer than it is wide!

When I woke up, I was yelling at the dentist for "scraping around in my mouth." You won't be uncomfortable until after, when you're hungry but you can't eat. I didn't have much bruising or pain. I liked the codeine though...if you're nervous about taking it, have someone hide it and give it to you only when you ask for it. Then throw the extras away after a week or so, when you'll no longer be in pain from the surgery.

Originally Posted by girl_geek What? You don't have a round face! I think my face is wider than yours and it's not even that round! (Actually my face is a little more square than round anyway
wink.gif
) I would say you have a nice oval face since it is definitely longer than it is wide! lol. mine is definitely round. my hair is just covering the sides of my face in my avatar pic. lol.

Latest posts

Back