Word of the Day

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Word of the Day for April 2 is: amenable • uh-MEE-nuh-bul • adjective

1 : liable to be brought to account : answerable

2 a : capable of submission (as to judgment or test) : suited b : readily brought to yield, submit, or cooperate *c : inclined or favorably disposed in mind : willing

Example sentence:

Allisong and TinyDancer were amenable to the idea of receiving 2 million dollars.

Example sentence:

Violet and Henrietta were amenable dancers; they would dance with anyone who asked, even Gilbert!

Now you can say you've been edumacated
icon_lol.gif
. Are you amenable to that?

Ya learn something new everyday! That was very elucidative.

Originally Posted by Californian

The Word of the Day for April 2 is: amenable • uh-MEE-nuh-bul • adjective

1 : liable to be brought to account : answerable

2 a : capable of submission (as to judgment or test) : suited b : readily brought to yield, submit, or cooperate *c : inclined or favorably disposed in mind : willing

Example sentence:

Allisong and TinyDancer were amenable to the idea of receiving 2 million dollars.

Example sentence:

Violet and Henrietta were amenable dancers; they would dance with anyone who asked, even Gilbert!

Now you can say you've been edumacated
icon_lol.gif
. Are you amenable to that?

Cal - this is cool - I've finally learned to talk in one-syllable words after all these years...to find out it's not completely obsolete.

I've always liked words. Is that odd? I like the big ones because it's neat to find out that you can use one big word to explain something rather than 10 little ones. I usually try to look up the words that I don't know and forget a lot of them. I hate that! Heh heh

trymut.jpg

Living in lots of places other than NYC showed me how few people actually read...no offense - I grew up w/readers, to the point where a book was more an escape than an adventure...took me a while to realize there are ring-side readers of life & those who participate in it & make it happen so others can read about it. I like going thru the dictionary, Websters, Bible dicts, you name it...words are powerful seeds. Other languages use words to define degrees our English can mimic in ability to refine an idea...most folks where I live now don't go off on tangents...so I've learned the art of the short version...

That's kind of sad. I like tangents. Tangents tell a lot about a person. I grew up with readers too. I read so much in school that I am, quite honestly, sick of it. Now I pick up nonfiction because I want what I read to be based more on reality. I also like to read extremely slowly and leisurely... a result of having to choke down novelists like Thomas Hardy and Dostoevsky in a week's time. Too crowded and too much!!
icon_eek.gif

Some people hide behind big words, some people use them because they feel like it, some have no idea what they mean and don't ask. What I like best is when people are just themselves. When I can't be who I am, I feel like a grape that's turning into a prune. If big words are a part of you, I say USE em! Words are fun. Like makeup they color you in different ways. Course I've always liked art too, that's a whole other tangent.

mutbubbles.gif

With a wide circle of acquaintances & a narrow circle of true friends, I've learned to adapt, kind of like Paul the Apostle in the NT who said for Greeks I become as a Greek, etc...so, as Zig Ziglar the salesman extraordinaire explains, to sell to folks who don't realize they have a need we can fill, we've got to relate our product(s) &/or service(s) to their reality - ask questions about how they live, listen to the words they use to describe their reality & then tailor your offering to their specific (unspoken) criteria. I sometimes feel like I've "dumbed down" a bit in the use of language, but, the truth has become, it doesn't really matter. If someone can't understand what I say, that's my responsibility to clarify, not expect them to know without exposure. So, to uplift, edify, encourage & communicate, I've become more versatile instead of less. Of course I still indulge in 3-syllable conversations, but I now do them mostly in the shower...

I am more than amenable to receiving the best - what a great affirmation. My sweetheart is one of the few complex men who speaks in minimal words & manages to enlist others' participation without a lot of brou-ha-ha. I'd write him letters with a long & a short version. One day I realized he could edit it simply by putting it down & reading the rest later...ultimately, the long & short of any version without all the story (reasons, justifications, excuses, explanations, complaints, etc.) is I love you. The rest doesn't matter.

LOL GR8. The shower is where everyone thinks existentially. Good thing you can think and sing and wash simultaneously. I'd say you are talented! I've noticed that a lot of folks in here are very intelligent. It's great! If we ever have Jessica Simpson as a guest, we'll have to dumb it down a bit. Until then, que sera sera!

Also you sound very much in love! Congrats! Tell him it's ok to read the tangents before he gets to the love part of the letter ... just as flirting makes kisses sweeter!

horsehappy.jpg

Latest posts

Back