Words you've only ever read (random!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ap-plik-ka-bull
How about Juxtapose?

I know how pose is pronounced but every time I come across this word is becomes something that justifies I have a dirty mind.

Juck-sta-pose.
Ooh I have a good one - FURORE. Is it "few-roar" or "few-roar-ee"?

yoghurt or yo-gurt?

toe-mate-toe or toh-mat-toe

btw its yoghurt and toh-mat-toe
wink.gif

Oh and don't get me started on you crazy Americans and your spelling.

IT'S COLOUR
banghead.gif

lol @ Claire

what annoys me is when people (australians actually) call austsralia osh-tray-a. It's Aust-rayl-ya! there is NO SH!

wtf.

and, aluminium pronounced al-oo-min-um. It's like you can't just remove letters and not say them! there is an extra i in aluminium, LOL

What does juxtapose mean?

I don't know how to pronounce amicable. And I don't know what that means, either, LOL!

juxtapose is wen you stick one thing next to another, in order to compare them.

like you'd say... 'the juxtaposition of black on white is just one example of how this makeup artist created a dramatic look' haha

and amicable is just being friendly. Usually amicable means "not being horrible" though, like in a divorce, you're never going to be best buddies during proceedings, but you might be amicable.

LOL

I've known people who for the life of them could not say personification or personality, they would just give up!

I say tomato and toe-may-toe. I'm pretty good with words, it's names I can't say that well.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol @ Claire
what annoys me is when people (australians actually) call austsralia osh-tray-a. It's Aust-rayl-ya! there is NO SH!

wtf.

and, aluminium pronounced al-oo-min-um. It's like you can't just remove letters and not say them! there is an extra i in aluminium, LOL

arggg al-oo-min-um is like nails on a chalk board to me.
Say it right!
moa.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Like Shu- Uemura - how do you say that?? I have no clue!

Depending on a person's accent, it sounds like:
"Shoe-ooo-moo-rah" or "Shoe-ooo-more-a"
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Claire_CD /img/forum/go_quote.gif yoghurt or yo-gurt?toe-mate-toe or toh-mat-toe

btw its yoghurt and toh-mat-toe
wink.gif

Oh and don't get me started on you crazy Americans and your spelling.

IT'S COLOUR
banghead.gif

We Canadians have it rough, its a constant balance between the Brits an the Americans spelling. It can be very confusing.

Shu Uemura is in japanese, so it sounds like that : Shoo - Oo-eh-moo-rah . In Portuguese it's much easier to say that because we say the A letter like the 'a' on 'American', the E is the sound of the 'e' on 'end', the I sounds like the letter 'e', the O like the 'o' on monster and the U sounds like 'oo'.

So in Portuguese i read how it's written - Shu Uemura... Haha

And how do you say strawberry? Where's the tonic syllabe, on the beggining or on the end?

stroo-ah-bear-ry

And tut on whoever said our spelling is crazy.

Color, color, color, color, behavior, behavior, behavior. The U is silent, therefor not needed, and thus our spelling isn't crazy.
biggrin.gif

Btw, I find therefor and thus to be awesome words.

Spaghetti

I've heard es-pah-get-tie used - I know that's how my family say it in Spanish.

I saw straw-berry. haha, straw beary. Ya fewl celly!

and ou form a different sound when they're together! just like au! so in actual fact, it isn't silent, LOL.

I guess in American, you say col-OR whereas in australia we say 'cull-a'

LOL

ahah at spooghetti...i have nothign to contribute but there are so many harry potter words that i pronounce a certain way it my head and they dont sound anythign like they should when i say them aloud.

ah, neither...is it knee-ther or ni-ther

there i con-tri-buted

I was sounding it out, Miss Rosie. Doey.

Cull-a? Ew. Haha. Well, if the U does make a difference in how it sounds - then obviously we don't need it. But then again, I've heard people from Louisiana stress the words to make a U sound.

My cousin is from Melbourne and when I heard her speak, it completely put me off. Haha. It was just like, "what are you saying?". What was worst was that she was speaking it in Spanish at times. Instead of Pah-pee (Papi = dad) she would say Puh-Pay... I remember thinking she was making up words because her accent was so strong. Omph. Haha.

Haha, Liz. Now you got me thinking... I always read "Prefect" as Perfect.

Back