working at the makeup counter? good bad ulgy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what is it really like to work for Macy's makeup or mac. the good bad and ugly

i think starting pay at macy's counters are like $7 or so
frown.gif
it's not minimum wage, but it's definitely not a lot. and i know they push sales goals a lot. i had 3 friends that worked at benefit and clinique.

When I worked at a makeup counter at Dillards, they pushed sales REALLY hard. Our counter manager was a PSYCHO!!!! Actually she is the reason I quit because she would literally push you out of the way and manipulate things so that she would get more sales than you. And the store managers wouldn't do anything about her because she brought in so much damn money!

Hi! I worked for macy's in the cosmetics department for 2 years. RUN don't walk away from that job. Macy's SUCKS!!! Here is a brief list of the things I hated.....

Forcing people to apply for credit cards. You would get written up if you didn't open 2 a week. Sometimes I felt so bad, people were telling me they were bankrupt and I was encouraging them to open a credit card with sky-high APR.

Having to work at counters that weren't mine. Talking about how great Biotherm is when I worked for benefit!

Having to work extended hours during the Holidays. I guess retail employees don't have families too???????

Micro-management. I had 2 managers from Benefit. 1 cosmetics department manager. 1 store manager. All of these managers and no one knew what the others were doing???? Very confusing.

2 years, Highest producing counter, 4 customer service awards, greatest increase over previous years......No RAISE!!!!

My Macy's career ended unexpectedly and thank goodness it did. I now work for Benefit Corporate and can't imagine how I put up with that crap.

If you must work in a Macy's, pick MAC. They are independent and are leased employees to Macy's. No credit cards, no crap. They just sell MAC and go home.

wow! makeup sales can be a contact sport.
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by tashbash When I worked at a makeup counter at Dillards, they pushed sales REALLY hard. Our counter manager was a PSYCHO!!!! Actually she is the reason I quit because she would literally push you out of the way and manipulate things so that she would get more sales than you. And the store managers wouldn't do anything about her because she brought in so much damn money!

I LOVED working for MAC, the pay is great, I think I made about $20 an hour, and I also made tips when I gave personal make-overs. Doing make-up for MAC also got me into freelancing so through my own connection I also started doing make-up on movie sets and photoshoots.

Now the Ugly, sometimes the other girls can get kady and competitive. Luckily I was a freelancer for MAC meaning I set my own hours and was not put on a schedule. However when I used to come into to work certain girls would literally stand on top of me so they could ring up my sales and get credit without doing any work. Also some stores are more strict than others in there proceedures and as with most jobs a lot rides on how much the manager likes you.

Oh and another GREAT insentive!! When you are a regular scheduled employee ( non freelance) you get $300 a year in free MAC make-up. That would be enough for me lol.

Originally Posted by MARIAN what is it really like to work for Macy's makeup or mac. the good bad and ugly

freelance seems the way to go. it's great you can do movies too.

Originally Posted by essentialskin I LOVED working for MAC, the pay is great, I think I made about $20 an hour, and I also made tips when I gave personal make-overs. Doing make-up for MAC also got me into freelancing so through my own connection I also started doing make-up on movie sets and photoshoots.
Now the Ugly, sometimes the other girls can get kady and competitive. Luckily I was a freelancer for MAC meaning I set my own hours and was not put on a schedule. However when I used to come into to work certain girls would literally stand on top of me so they could ring up my sales and get credit without doing any work. Also some stores are more strict than others in there proceedures and as with most jobs a lot rides on how much the manager likes you.

Oh and another GREAT insentive!! When you are a regular scheduled employee ( non freelance) you get $300 a year in free MAC make-up. That would be enough for me lol.

Back