Working for MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the process for getting a job at MAC... requirements, interviews, etc? And is it really necessary or helpful to work there for an aspiring makeup artist?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by leeshalynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif What is the process for getting a job at MAC... requirements, interviews, etc? And is it really necessary or helpful to work there for an aspiring makeup artist?
Thanks!

Well, you need to have some skills. As from what I was told by another MuTer who worked for MAC, you need to have enough skill that they know YOU know what you're doing, but not so much you can't be "trained" to do it their way.
The interview process seems to depend. My MAC is at a Macy's, and I had to do a MU interview BEFORE my verbal interview (okay, supposed to have since I ended up with another job before I even interviewed). Some MACs seem to do a single/group interview before even doing the MU part.

I can see how working for MAC can definitely help an aspiring makeup artist, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. You could start at Clinique to build basics, and then move around. Or, you could even just go work for a completely different company. I think it's all a matter of preference in the end.

I'm not sure if that helped much, but based on what I've learned and know from personal experience, that's about how it is/can be.

ok soo...comming from someone who just started with them, and who taught herself makeup, i think i may be able to help

firstly, the requirements are what Aquilah said, you can't go there on just personality but personality is HUGE. They look for potential and if you know mac then you know customer service is a big part of the company. I initially thought that you had to be a seasoned ma to work there. But i taught myself everything i know (with alot of help from mut) and i was myself in the interviews and i got it.

For us in Montreal, you need to go through a group interview with about 8-10 others, (mac interviews everyone who hands in a CV/application, so your gurenteed an interview) secondly, if they like your personality, and they like what they see on your resume, they call you back for a makeup test. This is where the skill comes in, you need to know what youre doing, but you dont have to be perfect. Then if you make it, they will send your application to the store or counter that needs people and then you do the last interview with the manager there, if you fit for their team, you get the job
biggrin.gif

I would definitly NOT say its necessary to work there, but it Is super helpful, ive learnt soooo much in the past little while! But back to Aquilah, you don't have to go with MAC there are other wonderful companies ect...

SO apply, you have nothing to lose, but all i know is its a long process so if your mac's do it the way ours does, they wait untill they have alot of interviewees before starting, so don't get discouraged!!!!

HTH pm me if you have any questions!

another great place to work to gain experiance is sephora.

while you do not nessesarily apply make up as much as mac they have so many training oportunitys for the employees

It'll be good for experience but they don't let you keep your tear sheets so you'll never get real credit for doing shows on their work time.

I was wondering the same thing! I would LOOOOVE to work at MAC because I have developed my new love for makeup for a few months now. But I have 0 experience working with makeup. I know a fair bit from self learning and the most I've applied to other people is for my girlfriends on our girls' nights out. I just never bothered to apply there since I have no experience at all and I figured they would at least want some.

Also a bit intimidated to go to the MAC counter to apply because the MAC girls always look so pretty and their faces done up perfectly. I'm scared if I go, they'd look at my face and notice flaws and think, "wow, you think you can work for us?" lol

Back