Would you pay 90$ for (really good) prom hair and makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For example, the makeup in my avatar was done by him, and it was amazing! I let him have a free hand with my makeup, as in "So how do you want your makeup?" "I dunno"/"Do you want black or brown eyeliner?" "I usually wear black, but do anything you want"/"Do you want your eyeliner winged or not?" "I dunno". All I actually requested was not doing my brows and using some silver to match my dress.

I wouldn't go into debt over it, but if you have the money to spend, go for it! $90 isn't so bad for prom hair and makeup combined. It's a special occasion, and the makeup in your avatar looks fantastic.

In my opinion $90 isn't bad for hair and make up together.  Just as long as the make up isn't something that you could easily do yourself.

Yes. I would.
smilehappyyes.gif

It's a special occasion, go for it! If you are familiar with their work, then that's really good. The price really isn't that bad for prom hair and makeup.

I think it's worth it! I wish I had had someone do my makeup and hair for prom, because I don't really like how I did it myself, and the photos you get are the ones you will have forever! It sounds like it would be a really fun way to get ready too.

I personally would not, I think I spent 45 on my hair and I haven't seen a picture from prom since I went. Of course, this was before the time of facebook. 

I wouldn't either. I'd want to look back at pictures and see my own skills, and how I've improved. Plus I'm a cheapskate.

You can do that with any picture on any day... Prom is special - if you're comfy with your skills, I see no problem paying for someone who does.

I guess it also depends on your view of Prom day... is it just any other party for you or is it one of those special once in a lifetime memories.

I took it as both and paid to get my hair done... and all I notice now in the pictures is the gawd aweful black casio watch that I wore to EVERYTHING... even prom. 

Prom dress + Casio watch =
wtf.gif

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't either. I'd want to look back at pictures and see my own skills, and how I've improved. Plus I'm a cheapskate.

That doesn't sound bad at all to me, I'm going to prom this year as well and my hair alone would be $120, I say go for it! Your make up in that avi is amazing btw. Looks like you would be in good hands :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

$90 seems like an awful lot to me. Of course my prom was 12 years ago, but I only paid $25 for my hair but it was at a really well known and reputable salon in my old neighborhood in Chicago. I did my makeup myself and love looking back at my pics to see how far I've come with my own makeup. To each their own though and if it will make you happy DO IT!

I may be biased as good salons here in NYC are over $70... However, I'd still say go for it, especially if it's like you say "really good." Take lots of pictures and make it worth it!

Personally I think it's worth it for hair and makeup, and if you have the money to spare I'd say go for it!  These days that isn't a lot of money for special event hair and makeup.  Even if you can do them both yourself, it just adds to the special feelings of the day.  Jr prom I did them myself and think I looked pretty great, but Sr prom I had them both done and was so happy that I did. 

If you've used him before and you really liked it, then it's worth it.  What you might do, is ask if you can get a referral credit, to see if you bring him a few of your friends if you can get a discount. It'll get him more clients and you might be able to save yourself some money on your hair/makeup.

That how much it would've cost for me if I did go to a professional make up artist but I decided to just go mostly natural with a hint of eye shadow/mascara & lip gloss and I honestly felt that I made the right decision. My hair I think cost me $55 thanks to a discount my friend got me. 

If you're happy with the way it came out then you have nothing to be worried about, whether it's the cost of looking wonderful for a great event or just a change from your usual look. 

I feel like $90 is a steal for both. In the wedding business, you'll easily see prices for just hair being $200+. Go for it especially if you already know you liked the outcome! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think that's reasonable, and if you have the money, go for it.

On the other hand, do you know of someone who does a great job on your hair or makeup and will do it for free or super cheap (a close friend or relative)? If you have someone like that, enlist them to help out or at least do your hair for example. I had my future sister in law do my hair for my wedding because she was a hair dresser, had great ideas on what to do, and was willing to do it for free as a gift! I also had a friend in college who was fabulous at doing different types of braids with my hair and had her do my hair before a special occasion...also for free! And no matter what the occasion I always did my own makeup, because I thought I was pretty good at it, and the photos look great even now (although I did need more powder on my shiny face by the end of the night!)

So it depends on how confident you are in your skills or that of friends or family willing to do it...how important those pics will be to you in the future, if it's pretty much just a dance, then no, if it's a night to remember, then more likely yes.

Latest posts

Back