Yaz birth control pill?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey ladies!

so, i keep seeing commercials about howYaz birth control pills and how it can help with PMS symptoms, i get really bad PMS and i was thinking of asking my doctor about it. i wanted to get some testimonials too though. have any of you tried it and does it help with PMS at all? your input would be much appreciated, also if you all have other "remedies throw em' my way! thanks~ deb

interesting! thanks chococat...do you think its worth looking into then? is there a particular reason you got off it? i would get on it to basically see if it helps with pms , im already on an IUD which has worked great for me, so i dunno if its worth the risk to get on it for solely for pms purposes

wow, that would kinda suck...well i'll definitely do some homework on it, thank you for the input

Just be aware that Yaz can increase your serum potassium levels... I actually had a patient referred to me for increased potassium (incidental finding), and turned out that it was caused by the pill. The electrolytes normalized after switching to a different pill... Just FYI.

Ah, the high potassium leads to cardiac instability and can lead to death. (I was studying that earlier - gosh i hate nephrology)

I've never been on any pill, but if I had to chose, I'd go with Yazmin. I went with my friend to her DR. appt. and the doctor lady said it also helps with facial hair... along with acne. I don't have thick facial hair, but I'm so light skinned and I have thin light brown hairs on my face, that I bleach. I'm tired of bleaching and I want to get rid of them!!!

So if I ever get on a pill, it's Yazmin.

I took Yaz & Yasmin -- Yasmin is way better for me. Controlled my periods, helped tremendously with PMS and breakouts. Yasmin has Spironolactone which makes it awesome for a lot of women. Plus, it's an anti-androgen.

so yasmin is another pill that can help with PMS? good to know...thank you ladies so much for your input! wow, we have beautiful and smart women in this place
smile.gif
what a fabulous combination and a great resource.aloha~ debbie

Originally Posted by La_Mari /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've never been on any pill, but if I had to chose, I'd go with Yazmin. I went with my friend to her DR. appt. and the doctor lady said it also helps with facial hair... along with acne. I don't have thick facial hair, but I'm so light skinned and I have thin light brown hairs on my face, that I bleach. I'm tired of bleaching and I want to get rid of them!!!

I would have to look it up to confirm but I think Yaz and Yasmin are the same pill with different names...
Yup I just looked it up, same pill, different comercial names...

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I took Yaz & Yasmin -- Yasmin is way better for me. Controlled my periods, helped tremendously with PMS and breakouts. Yasmin has Spironolactone which makes it awesome for a lot of women. Plus, it's an anti-androgen. Nope.... Spironolactone is a diuretic....Drospirenone is the progestin component in BOTH Yaz and Yasmin.... And it does have some anti-androgen effects, yes.

Take a peek:

YASMIN®

http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/ht...www.berlex.com

See, same hormones on both pills.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by La_Mari /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've never been on any pill, but if I had to chose, I'd go with Yazmin. I went with my friend to her DR. appt. and the doctor lady said it also helps with facial hair... along with acne. I don't have thick facial hair, but I'm so light skinned and I have thin light brown hairs on my face, that I bleach. I'm tired of bleaching and I want to get rid of them!!!

Hmmmm I dont think that the pill would get rid of those thin hairs... It does help if the person has hirsutism which is abnormal hair growth, but the tiny hairs you describe don't sound like hirsutism...

I was thinking about going on the pill i just don't want to go on one that would ruin my skin, I hear quite a few do that. Has anyone heard a lot of good things about yaz helping minimize acne? and does anyone know if it's covered by insurance at all?

I've just switched to Alesse which is similar to Yaz. I find it has gotten rid of the breakouts arounf my chin and forehead around period time =)

Spironolactone is a diuretic, true, but it works really well for women who have PCOS, or who suffer from hirsutism or acne (if the acne is hormonal). It's potent and can effect your potassium levels, so you have to be monitored, but for a lot of women (over 20, and into 50's, etc) it is the step they take before they go on accutane. It is especially good for those who develop acne in their 30's or 40's. I take Spironolactone, since I have hormonal, but persistent acne, and though it is mild, the doctor, well, two of them said I could basically stay on oral antibiotics like Doxycycline for a long long while, or I could try Spironolactone or Accutane. If I wasn't approaching 21, and have had this issue since I got my period, I wouldn't be put on Spiro. Anyway, along with my birth control which has 25mg of Spiro, and the actual drug which is 100mg, it's been all good for me. I do have to go to the doc and get some blood work done, and if my potassium is all out of whack, I have to be really careful.

Anyway, from experience, low dose of anything really screws with my body, especially Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo, which was the worst. Yasmin has been the only BC which is actually not a total pain in the ass to be using...no weight gain in my case, because of the spiro in the drug, and no other negative side effects to speak of. Yaz was just...eh. If I had to say anything, it was the best low dose BC I've taken since I didn't turn into a complete raging, moody, *****y person.

I take Yaz right now with no problems... My PMS has definitely improved and I stopped breaking out on my back and chest
smile.gif
(My face is a different story though.. i'm on accutane for my facial acne.)

I might switch to yasmin though because I have no insurance and I think yasmin might be a little cheaper. It has a little bit of a higher amount of estrogen in Yasmin than is Yaz also.

im in the process of going back on birth control. i was on ortho tri cyclin low and it did its job but my periods are so heavy and my endo is so bad that i needed to try something else. they mentioned i believe yasmin to me but it may have been yaz.

i do break out pretty bad around my period and sometimes just for the hell of it. lol. and i really want something that i dont have to worry too much about weight gain. plus shorter periods are a plus.

any recommendations for a birth control?

I was on birth control pills for 7 years in my first marriage- Triphasil 28. If I had it to do all over again, I would never put synthetic hormones into my body, ever, ever again.

Isn't Yaz that one where they brag about having fewer periods? I would venture to wager that in a few years to come, they will talk about the dangers of preventing periods. I just don't think it wise to stop a natural function of the body. The build-up of the lining of the uterus can cause a lot of problems and some studies have shown it can lead to uterine and other female cancers.

This is just my two cents!

Warmly,

beaglette

You only have extreme build-up if you use a estrogen-only pill and don't take breaks.

It happens as well on conditions like PCOS. And there is no proof that fewer periods are harmful - remember, in the past, women became married at 15 , had 10-15 kids, one after the other (while breastfeeding), and died at 45 - because of that, many of them had less than 100 periods (that's a random number) their entire life.

Later i'll write something about birth control pills - my MIL is a gyno, and she gave me useful info about it
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back