Your samples and your regular beauty routine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I  was just looking for a little advice/opinion on how you mix your samples in with your regular routine- especially in regard to cleansers and creams and serums. Makeup, of course, is easy! I am getting so much good stuff, but I have a full, unopened three-month supply of my usual philosophy just waiting for me! But I scored the Vichy Birchbox, the Algenist from Birchbox, huge samples from Beauty Army, the Sample Society box, not to mention my QVC test tube and some killer super deluxe samples from Sephora (I order my Sephora online in $50 increments to score all the weekly and points samples possible, along with maximizing my Discover cash back). I feel like I should use it all up before I open up my regular, but that seems weird too! How do you guys mix it up?

I usually use things on and off, for at least two weeks. It is good to switch up my skin care anyways so my face doesn't get too used to it. It also lets me have a good idea about how the product is really working out for me. 

The dates on the products are pretty generous so I don't worry about them expiring or anything! I tend to want to use up the small products first, though. 

I don't really have a usual supply at this point.  I go off the samples.  I do have a few drugstore products as back up if I run out of samples, but that almost never happens :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by cjeanette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't really have a usual supply at this point.  I go off the samples.  I do have a few drugstore products as back up if I run out of samples, but that almost never happens :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Same! I always have purity made simple for my face wash but my creams, serums, exfoliators, etc are all just whatever sample I have laying around. Probably not the best plan but my skin isn't too sensitive, and it actually looks pretty nice. 

I usually switch out one product at a time and evaluate it against my usual products. If I like it more or less, I note it. I usually try to use each product for one-two weeks or until the sample runs out -- whichever comes first. When it's empty (or if it's giant, when I have given it a good 1-2 week test period), I review it on my blog. Sometimes it will bump the "baseline" product (i.e. what I had been using) out of my beauty routine; sometimes not. Right now, the Vichy products are just about ready to boot out all competition, which takes some doing, but we'll see how it lasts after a week.

So the Vichy is really that good? I am out of the country and the Vichy box arrived the day before I left!

I haven't had to use anything but samples since January!

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So the Vichy is really that good? I am out of the country and the Vichy box arrived the day before I left!

I think so.  Their night cream is amazing.

I've been breaking out a little because I've been a lot more fastidious about exfoliating (it's fairly normal to get a little bit of a breakout in that situation, because your skin is basically choking out a lot of toxins, sebum, and since it's close to the surface it can get infected = breakout), but even that seems to be evening out since I went over to my Vichy box. Both the day and night creams are nice, but it's one of those where you're better off if you actually use less. There is a very fine line for me between it being perfect and me having to wipe off a ton of product...

I have so many samples that I like doing 'cocktails' with my creams.. My skin is improving so it must be fine... Lol I only introduce one at a time to make sure it doesn't break me out though.

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have fallen in love with Vichy!  It's great!  To answer the original question, I stopped buying my "usual" when I signed up for too many sample subs.  I just use whatever I receive, which is usually more high end than I want to pay for in a full size product.  And I just love trying new stuff lol.  (and I haven't had to buy any new full size products for almost a year!)

I tend to take my sample creams to work and use them when I'm sitting there between calls. 

Generally, my skincare samples take the place of my regulars while I have them.  My regulars are usually just basic Cetaphil, so no big loss, lol.  I generally try to use one product of each type at a time, until it's gone.  Right now, I'm still using the Vichy cleanser and creams, when they're gone, I'll move on to the Weleda creams and one of my other cleanser samples.  Works out well, and saves me money, too.

Latest posts

Back