Zellweger, Chesney: Over

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A week ago, Renee Zellweger was "happily married" to Kenny Chesney. But in the whirlwind romantic life of the Oscar-winning actress, a lot can happen in seven days.

Wednesday in Los Angeles, Zellweger checked the paperwork box marked "fraud," and filed for an annulment from her country star husband of four months.

"The reports are true," Zellweger rep Nanci Ryder confirmed. "There are no further details."

Zellweger, 36, and Chesney, 37, wed May 9 on a beach in the Virgin Islands. The bride wore a strapless Carolina Herrera; the groom, a black Stetson.

The ceremony, held in front of friends and family, came about five months after the couple met at a tsunami relief benefit in January.

"I am incredibly happy," Chesney said at the time. "I may well be the luckiest man alive. To be so in love with someone who is so perfect for me. It's just hard to imagine that I'm not going to wake up."

Three days later, Chesney resumed his Somewhere in the Sun tour.

By late July, E! Online columnist Ted Casablanca was reporting on buzz that had the newlyweds splitting up. At the time, Ryder told Casablanca, "I just saw her [Zellweger], and I'm sure it's not true."

Last week, Britain's Daily Mail estimated that Zellweger and Chesney had spent 15 days together since their wedding. Caught by the newspaper on the red carpet for the London premiere of Cinderella Man, Zellweger, who attended the event solo, batted away rumors of a marriage in swift decline.

"I'm happily married," Zellweger said, per the paper, "but I don't talk about it because I want to keep my precious things precious."

Word of their pending annulment was first reported Thursday afternoon by People magazine. Later, Los Angeles' City News Service dug up the filing, and the "fraud" declaration.

The marriage was the first for both. Zellweger, the titular singleton of the Bridget Jones movies, previously had been linked, but legally unattached, to the likes of White Stripes rocker Jack White, Jim Carrey and George Clooney.

Chesney, meanwhile, seems ready to keep rolling right along.

The Country Music Association and Academy of Country Music Association's reigning Entertainer of the Year, the singer is set to appear at the 20th anniversary Farm Aid concert on Sunday in Illinois. On Oct. 1 in Houston, he'll be part of a Country Music Television benefit concert for victims of Hurricane Katrina. Then there's the new album, The Road & the Radio--it's due out Nov. 8.

No word on where the annulment fits into the schedule.

In the pantheon of short-lived Hollywood marriages, Zellweger and Chesney's four-month-long union lasted an eternity compared to those of Zsa Zsa Gabor (one day, in 1982) and Britney Spears (55 hours, in 2004).

Just heard tonight that they where no longer going to be married. What was it 5 or 6 months? Yay Kenny is now single again and fresh for my pickings :0)

I think we posted these threads at the same time so I merged them.

I wonder what really happened?

When I first heard she was marrying this guy, I was thinking, gee, I didn't even know they were dating (and I read a few of those celebrity rag magazines) - I must have missed this one..
confused.gif
confused.gif

Now I hear they are getting annulled / divorced - something about fraud....

I think they DID rush into this too fast ---- like I said - who knew they were even dating. Where did this guy pop out of??
confused.gif
confused.gif

Not really surprising but still kinda sad...what happened to the "til death do us part"?

When are these people going to learn to try living together first? When it comes to marriage most celebrities disgust me.

With all the discussion in this country about marriage, this is a perfect example of why "straight" people just don't hold higher ground anymore.

Whew Hooo, I love Kenny too, he is a little short for me, but I think he's such a cutey pie. I used to love Renee when she did the movie Jerry McGuire, but I think she is really full of herself now. But I usually do like her movies.

Latest posts

Back