When do you apply your foundation/concealer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen some put it on after they do their eyes, and  others before. Some even apply before their eyes, but don't set it until after their done!

How do you ladies go about this? I usually do it after, in case I have some bad fallout.

I usually do it before so that when I put my foundation on top of it, it all evens out. I don't set it at all. I have fine lines under my eyes that powder emphasizes. Although the rest of my skin is pretty oily, under my eyes isn't, so everything stays put on it's own anyway.

I start with my concealer, then foundation. I do my upperlid eyeshadow, then powder my face, then finish with lowerlash line color, eyeliner, eyebrows, mascara, and blush. I do it the same way every time.

I noticed I would be less shiny if I waited to powder my face and let my foundation set. Not like it really matters since I get shiny so incredibly quickly. I really need to find a solution.

I mix it up but generally I do primer, concealer, foundation, eyes, setting powder, lips.  I like to let my foundation set a bit as well and then check that it's even (I usually go to another mirror---bathroom, or by the window--somewhere where the light is a little different).

It depends on the look you're going for. If it's simple or if it's a look i do a lot, i apply my foundation first. If it involves glitters or dark pigments, i will apply all the makeup from lash to brow, then foundation+concealer, and finish by applying makeup on the lower lid.

I do my eye concealer before foundation, and skin concealer after foundation.

I remember reading that drag queens do what's called "cooking" their makeup. They let each step sit on the skin a while before they do the next. Like the foundation would sit for a bit, then they over powder and contour and let that sit, then brush/buff off the excess. I like how flawless their skin looks after.

I always start with a clean  face then moisturizer.after at least 15 to 20 Min's of letting my moisturizer soak in I then start on my eyes-eye primer shadow so forth,I then use a face primer and then I apply my foundation,contouring or bronzer,blush.Ending with setting my makeup:)

Thank you for all the tips ladies!

Is there any reason behind your different orders or is just how you've always done things?

I usually do my makeup in this order:

moisturizer

primer (optional, I have two different foundations, I find Colorstay doesn't really need primer under it on my skin because it sets, covers and stays so well on its own, but my Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse can look a bit too dewy without primer and powder)

concealer

powder

bronzer

So that's the face... then I do brows, then eyes, then I do cheeks last. I don't tend to wear lip products a lot, 99% of the time it's just Carmex. I occasionally do lipgloss or very natural looking lipstick for when I'm going out AND I know I won't be eating or drinking much, or at all.

I honestly want to do the whole "do your eyes first if it's a dark eye look" thing - I've tried it before for nights out and it's worked very well. But I am such a creature of habit with my makeup routine, especially the order of steps, that I usually forget to.
icon_lol.gif

Moisturizer, concealer, foundation. Then eyeshadow, liner and mascara. Then lips. Finishing powder, then blush. 

I did my eyes before concealer and foundation once, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Moisturizer

Foundation (if I'm using)

Undereye concealer

Face Concealer

Powder

Eyebrows

Eyeshadow

Liner

Mascara

Contour and Blush

Lips

That's my order and always has been....even when I use dark shadow or glitter I do it this way.  Never had a problem with fall out.  If there is...I have a really tiny fan brush that gets rid of that.

I put on my foundation, then concealer. then I put a heavy dusting of powder underneath my eyes to help with fallout. after I do my eyes and brows, I will wipe the loose powder/fallout away, maybe brighten up the under eye area more, and then set my whole face with good powder. 

Moisturizer. Primer(s). Foundation. Spot concealer. Undereye concealer. Set powder. Then, eye makeup. No real rhyme or reason.

I usually put concealer on first, apply some loose powder under my eyes to catch fallout, do my eyeshadow, then apply foundation.

Moisturizer

Tinted Moisturizer

Primer

Concealer

Eye primer

Foundation

Then eyes......

Moisturize me, moisturize me!

I use moisturizer regardless if I wear any other makeup that day and it's always after I either wash my face or take a shower. After I'm dressed, which gives the moisturizer time to be absorbed into my skin I'll prime my face and allow it to be absorbed, I follow that with foundation or Glamoflauge (if I'm not using foundation). Eyeshadow, eyeliner then mascara with lipgloss/lipstick last. I don't like wearing blush though since it makes my cheeks itch and sometimes even burn. Last I powder.

I generally don't use concealer unless I did something bad to my skin the day before (like chemical peel or over exfoliate)

Mine goes:

moisturizer

primer

mineral foundation

brow pencil/powder

eye liner

mascara

mascara

blush

lip colour

Back