Unflattering Brown Eyeshadows?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most brown eyeshadows make me look tired! Golds and bronze is fine, but the whole neutral look on me just doesn't look flattering. Instead I use plums, greens, charcoal, etc...I'm very fair, have hazel eyes, and asian shaped eyes. Just curious if anyone else also has the same dilemma? 

Does this happen with warm and cool browns, or just one over the other? I notice that sometimes cool browns look unflattering on me, so I have to make sure they are not the main color I use.

I agree. I love taupe, but cool toned browns look weird on me, so I have to make sure I wear a warmer brown in the crease.

Warm browns look weird on me, almost like a dark bruise. It does that to me with too warm eyeshadows, so i assume it's because i am cool toned. Bronze is fine, cool toned browns are fine too, but i always make sure i blend them with other colors. The only brown i can truly say is flattering on me is Bourbon from UD (it's a pencil eyeliner).

Yeah, I can't wear warm-based brown shadows very well unless they are a very small element to my overall look. I have one copper shadow from LORAC that I liked at first, then I saw a photo of me with it on, and I hated it! I still haven't quite figured out what to do with it, and it's been 2 years since I bought the palette it came with.

BeautyChatter:

I have the same problem, I have really fair skin with hazel eyes, i just dont like the way browns look on me whether its make-up or clothing.  When i went to school for make-up i was taught what colors compliment your skin and eyes. You should try purples.

Warm brown eyeshadows on me make the whites of my eyes look red.  I don't know what it is, but warm reds kind of make me look either like I'm bruised or have pink eye.  I have to stay far, far away from them.  I'm cool toned, so that is probably why.  I will only buy browns from a store where I can swatch them.  Sometimes a brown will look neutral in the pan and then show up with red/warm undertones once on my skin.  It's a shame because coppery shadows do wonders for blue eyes, but I just can't wear them.

I haven't found any brown shades to by unflattering.

Try the Maybelline 40 Chocolate Quad, The 'corner' brown is stunnnnnnnning!!!

I also have very fair skin and greenish-hazel eyes.  Darker browns don't look good on me, but light to medium browns work really well especially if they have a shimmery (not glittery) finish.  I agree that purples are a good match (again, not too dark though).

Darker eye colors in general make me look like I've been punched in the eyes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@nicole86: I agree, purples look the most flattering. I don't wear browns very well either- in fact, I just realized I don't own any brown clothing! 

I thought it was just cool tones that was totally not working for me, but seems like both warms/cool. Sooo bummed because i went and bought the UD Naked palette and just a few shades in there look nice on me... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I can use some browns if its just to blend the colors, just a minimal part of my eye look but can't get away with a whole brown neutral look. So jealous! lol

Originally Posted by beautychatter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most brown eyeshadows make me look tired! Golds and bronze is fine, but the whole neutral look on me just doesn't look flattering. Instead I use plums, greens, charcoal, etc...I'm very fair, have hazel eyes, and asian shaped eyes. Just curious if anyone else also has the same dilemma? 

Thanks for sharing information................

I only can wear browns on the outer v of my eyes. If i wear them on the entire eyelid area (I'm asian and i don't have crease :X), it makes me look really tired and like i just got punched in the face. So browns are my least favourite e/s colors ....

I tend to wear browns on my outer v if the colors are dark. I cannot wear browns with red, pink or plum undertones. When I'm tired or have allergies these undertones make my eyes more red or irritated. I find ones with goldish or slight orange, peach tones work best on me.

Back