Do you use heat protection or is it just another waste of money ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my hair is down to my belly button so rather long & only since its gone past my shoulders ive noticed when i straighten it i can see the split ends my mum is a professional hair dresser so i have my hair cut regular but should i be using heat protection spray when straighten it ? my mum said i should but i dont see much difference in my hair - what do you lot say i should do ?

I don't think it's a waste, you definitely prevent a bunch of split ends and dryness by using heat protection spray.

I think what helps is silicon, whether it is in a spray or serum.

Before I use a flat iron:

I apply a drop of got2b silicon serum to my palms.

Then I smoosh my hands together and coat my fingers with the serum.

I run my fingers through my hair, try to coat as many surface hairs as I can. These ones seem to take the most heat abuse.

Yes, you should use a heat protectant anytime you use a hair dryer, flat iron or curling iron/rollers.  

Of course it won't prevent all split ends or damaged hair, but it will help a bit. 

If you are straightening your hair a lot invest in a good brand protectant and use it every time.

thanks - my mum has loads of hair supplys so i use all of hers i will deffo keep using it then

I use one too, it does help protecting your hair from heat and prevent split ends.

I use the CHI Silk Infusion stuff. Whenever I find it at Winners, I stock up on the large 6oz & 12oz bottles. I'm too cheap otherwise.

I don't know if it really does that much, though. I love the smell (very manly, cologne-esque), and my hair doesn't seem as dry as it once was, despite blow-drying it nearly everyday during the week. But I don't know if it's the CHI, or the other stuff I'm now using.

Generally when I flat iron or curl, I do not.

I have Got2Be Hottie, heat mender and have used it a few times.

A good thermal protector can be your best friend. I personally use Paul Mitchell's Heat Seal. I have lightened hair so I have to be very careful about the health of my hair. I started using Heat Seal a few years ago and I can tell a huge difference from before (when I never used a thermal protector). My hair is much healthier and shinier. Heat Seal doesn't leave your hair feeling like it's got tons of product in it either which is a huge plus. (And it's not that expensive)

I always used Tresemme Heat Defense spray.  I have seen what direct heat can do to unprotected hair.  Not pretty. LOL.  It's pretty cheap as well.

I use the CHI 44 iron guard, I got it at Target and they were 2 for the price of one which was a pretty sweet deal. I've seen them at TJ Maxx and Ross at half price as well.

Originally Posted by laurenproartist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A good thermal protector can be your best friend. I personally use Paul Mitchell's Heat Seal. I have lightened hair so I have to be very careful about the health of my hair. I started using Heat Seal a few years ago and I can tell a huge difference from before (when I never used a thermal protector). My hair is much healthier and shinier. Heat Seal doesn't leave your hair feeling like it's got tons of product in it either which is a huge plus. (And it's not that expensive)

I am a huge fan of Paul Mitchell's Heat Seal, too! It's not that expensive, but it can be a little pricey for those who are on a budget. However, I definitely think it's worth the money. My hair looks so much better when I use this before blow drying/flat ironing, etc. Even if you don't use this particular product, I definitely recommend using some type of thermal protector before you use any heat styling tools. Your hair will thank you!!

I shower at night; while the hair is wet I put in Avon's Lotus Shield; sleep and in the morning I use Nexxus Heat Protexx and iron away!  Works great and no noticeable damage after maybe 6 months ironing every 2 to 3 days(and I haven't had any trims).

I don't use a heat protector other than leave in conditioner and I it's really starting to affect my hair. I need to get a heat protector. I used to use one but haven't in a very long time. 

Oh yes, most definitely. I straighten my hair quite often and it really makes a difference when you're using high heat. Personally, my favorite is DermOrganic Leave-In Treatment. It's made with certified Argan oil and helps to repair, protect and shine. Another favorite of mine is Biolage Thermal-Active Repair Gloss. Its not as expensive as the Derm-Organic and leaves my hair really, really soft. I've noticed its a bit heavier though, so you only need a small amount.

I do think it helps to use a thermal protection when blow-drying, or using any hot tools. It can also help cut down on dry time and protects hair from breakage and damage.I just tried a new one I absolutely love from Kenra called Blow-Dry Spray, it's a spray in a silver bottle and I think it even styles my hair better and smoother. Just spray on towel-dried hair and style, it doesn't weigh your hair down or feel to heavy either.

I've been using Beyond the Zones flat iron protection spray, but it makes my hair super slick...its kinda weird. I think I'll try a different one before I give up. 

I never use to use one, then i did i got the tresseme one, noticed no different and though it was a waste of money.

But then my hair got really badly damaged and i bought the VO5 and omg! It was amazing! Not only did it mean i didn't have split ends for alot longer than if i hadn't used it, it smoothed out my hair, and added shine! The one time i forgot to use it, you could definetley see the difference!

Hmm very interesting thread I always thought it was hype as well, I only get the Chi infuser if its at winners too Maris so we may encounter each other at the store one day haha!

Back