Blow dryer questions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To start, my hair is very damaged and fried from bleaching it blonde so many times. I have stopped bleaching my whole head and now just do highlights on the top layers. I use a cheap-o walgreens brand hair dryer right now. So my first question is, will a better quality blow dryer help my hair any? Like the ion ones? And secondly, will air drying instead of blow dryer help it from getting so dry and damaged and poofy?

Every website I checked pretty much followed these rules:  No one said a different dryer would help prevent damage. 

1. Make sure you apply a good heat protection hairspray or leave in hair conditioner when your hair is still damp before you dry your hair.

2. 2
    Turn your dryer to low heat instead of high heat as higher heat damages hair faster.  
  3. 3
    Dry your hair to about 90% dry instead of completely dry.  
  4. 4
    Make sure you do not keep heat on one spot for too long. Always make sure that you are drying in a downwards motion and holding the hairdryer by shaking down your wrist instead of straight down.  
  5. 5
    Use good hair shampoos and conditioners to make up for the moisture loss during hair drying.  
  6. 6
    Use a good hair mask once a week.  
  7. 7
    Avoid blow drying your hair and letting it dry naturally 2-3 times a week.

Air drying is always less damaging than blowdrying it. Towel dry your hair, detangle it, and when it's still slightly humid then use your blowdryer to quicken the process, but never blowdry your hair straight out of the shower.

I would also recommend the use of a heat protectant, it will prevent further damage.

The ions are indeed useful to have, they help during winter against static. What i have and really like is a cool air option, it helps giving a smooth appearance to your hair and i've noticed these past months the combination of warm air, then cool air helped reducing the static hairs.

Back