Buying skincare or makeup made in China

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will go miles out of my way NOT to purchase skincare or makeup made in China

My skin and health means more to me than saving a few dollars.

I get really fed up with sales clerks who don't know where their product comes from and or make up an answer to my questions.

Some products from China contain too much lead problem is about 90% of products are made in China or with products coming from China.

I feel like a lot of people are all 'zOMG, commies! I refuse to buy from CHINA!' but would be hard-pressed to actually explain why they would not buy from China. Jumping on the bandwagon against something, is as dumb as going along with the status quo. You're taking a risk anytime you put something on your face - alarmism shouldn't just be reserved for products that are stamped Made in China. Like anything I'm not sure about, patch test. Honestly, I don't know it anything I own was made in China, but I'm clearly not that worried about it if I haven't gone through my stash.

I've bought quite a few makeup items from China.  I have no complaints.    FYI if you own an 88, 120 or 180 palette it's from China

Bad products come from all over the world. China happens to be the LARGEST exporter of almost everything people use on this planet now so the chances of getting a bad egg is higher.  I personally don't look too closely at where they come from.  

If you really are concerned, there is a large difference between Made In and Imported From and Assembled In.  Even if the products are made in the US or Japan or Paris, where did they get the ingredients from?  

^ I own the 120 palette, the pigmentation and staying power is great!

I don't think you should generalise products based on where they are made. there's a fail in every brand.. some are from china, france, japan, US... etc etc.

Because products from china are stigmatised there's a strict protocol in their make up. I know for a fact that products from china, and now japan (because of the radiation) are being carefully scrutinised before our customs allow the products onto our shores... let alone our dept stores.

every time you put on red lipstick you eat some led, doesn't matter if it's a product of woop woop. every time you use your mobile you apparantly increase your chances of brain cancer. every time you eat fish you may be starting a nice little compilation of mercury inside you. every time you eat a banana you get a minimum dosage of radiation.

precautions are great, but we can't win.

Originally Posted by ls820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

every time you put on red lipstick you eat some led

and crushed beetles from what I hear or beetle shells, something like that

Many red lipsticks have some Carmine in it.  Its the crushed skeletons of female beetles. It really doesn't have to be red...pink and coral too.   The cereals you eat have acceptable portions of bug parts, eggs and feces as well as rodent hairs.  

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mmmm rodent hairs.  My favorite
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

gotta love the natural order!

I work for a cosmetics company.  We manufacture a ton of stuff in China, and the processes are regulated as tightly there as here(not by the govt but rather our company).  It's the same people who ran facilities in the US going over there to run plants.  The chemicals are purchased from the same suppliers, just manufactured over there.  It is manufactured there because the overall cost of doing business (the cost to do it right!) over there is cheaper.  As long as it is a reputable brand, the nation of origin is not really an issue.

Also, I didn't know sales clerks had to have knowledge of the production facilities of the brands they sell.  They don't eat, live, breathe the logistics of the products.

Back