Fading Make-up, Help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im starting my senior year in high school and i have a serious makeup problem. No matter what i try, all nighter spray, primers of every sort, and all different forms of makeup, by the end of the day my foundation is completely worn of, my eyeshadow color is dull, and my eyeliner is smeared and smudged in all the wrong ways. some girls manage to look morning fresh all day which means that their foundation is smooth, eye color is fresh, and liner is defined and beautiful. foundation is my biggest concern so what foundations works best to get the desired results. and i dont want to go to the bathroom during the day to do touchups. i want to put my makeup on in the morning and know it's going to be there when i get home in the afternoon and look in the mirror. Please Help!!! -fiona

Oh girlie.... I remember those days oh too well.

I guess the first thing we have to figure out is what type of skin do you have? Dry...oily....combo?  Do you have acne and/or use prescription products for it if you do?

Since your foundation is your major concern, that's info that would help all of us give you some suggestions.

Oh,... and what have you used in the past for foundation?

And what do you use to wash your face in the morning?

No problem!

Skin type: sometimes i get a bit oily but i havent ever noticed dry. i dont have acne that requires a perscription. i have some hard oils around my forehead and chin and slight redness and black head around my nose and on it there are small blackheads. if my skin gets clogged i do break out but that has to do with me being regular about removing my make up. i do get the period breakouts which usually consists of one or two pimples that begin very red and take forever to get a whitehead and leave terrible spots. 

i have some darkness under  my eyes.

up until now i have been using physicians formula powder foundation. and i have tried bare minerals but i was just too sheer for my tastes, then again i dont want anything heavy that will weigh me down, thats why i try to stay away from liquid foundations. i have also tried tinted moisturizers but that wasnt enough cover either

thank you so much

-fiona

Okay.  You already went the mineral foundation route and got no where so it seems like you would do better with a "wet" foundation, but not one that will be heavy on your face or you'll find it "sliding" off before the end of the school day.

I would suggest a good face primer. Everyone has a different opinion about the brand. It is all about how much you are willing to spend. Your skin type is very similar to mine and I use L'Oreal Paris Magic Perfecting Base and it works great for me. You don't need a lot, it gives your face an all over matte feel and look and preps your skin to hold onto the foundation as long as possible. There are other brands out there that people like, so browse around the site for primer threads if you want to get ideas of other kinds.

Because I like the L'Oreal Paris brand for my primer, I also use their new Magic Smooth Souffle for a foundation. I like it because it is really light on my face, doesn't slide off, and makes my face look even. There are others who don't like it at all, especially if they have dry skin or spots. Other great drug store brands of foundation that I've used and had good results with are Almay's TLC (Truly Lasting Color) liquid makeup and L'Oreal True Match foundation. Although the True Match foundation comes in more shades, Almay's has a REALLY long stay time.

I also suggest, if you go with a liquid foundation, that you apply it with a good foundation brush. You don't have to pay a ton for a good one. Drug stores have decent brands at reasonable prices. Make sure it is soft, flat, and has a rounded bristle top. If you go with a mousse foundation, using your fingertips is best.

Don't forget, no matter what kind of foundation you use, you'll want to set it with a powder. That's the key to not having to touch up during the day. If you have mineral foundations left, you can lightly dust one over your foundation with a brush. Or you may want to go with a white, transparent powder which is what I use. I love Make Up For Ever's HD Microfinish Powder, but many people say it is steep in price. An online mineral company called LA Minerals makes something similar (untinted veil) for half the price.

If you go to LorealParisUSA 's website, they have printable coupons for many of their products right now. LA Minerals always has a buy 5 get 5 free sample offer so you could try blushes and eyeshadows too.

Don't want to bog you down with tons of info to process, but hope this helps. Try to buy whatever you decide on at a store that will take it back if you don't like it. Walmart and CVS is pretty good about returns. I've heard Rite Aid is too. If you decide to try more high end items, like ones you'd get at Macy's, they almost always take them back if you don't like them.

Good luck, feel free to ask anything else!!!

Okay Thank you so much!!! School starts in a week so once I start again I will certainly let you know how it works out! I'm open to any other suggestions! -Fiona

I have the same problem! I have oily skin, so I use an oil free cleanser before makeup. It takes off all the oil so the makeup would stay on better.

I find for me personally that face primer fills pores and makes my foundation glide on, then causes it to wear off faster. (Smashbox primer) I would suggest revlon colorstay as it will give great coverage that LASTS but you have to get a good color match, apply with a light hand, and thoroughly remove every night with a two step process (first wash with oil or cream to dissolve the foundation, then second wash your face). If you don't remove well every night it will totally clog pores. I know you said you wanted something light, but often the lighter sheerer formulas don't last as long. I tried powder foundations and they were gone midday on me. Good luck! Oh, and Ulta will take back anything with a receipt, they are really good about it!

I would recommend lucy minerals...the foundation stays on quite a while...and make sure to use with the finishing powder.  You may want to check their website, the samples are not that expensive too.   These are a few I wld also rec...cos i use them alternately.

Joppa minerals ( foundation/cum bronzer) - my best one. Their setting spray orange and tea tree toner is also good...i find that it contains my oil secretion.

LA minerals - oil control is good.  nice foundation too.  stays on a while on my face.

Lucy minerals

Lauress minerals

Hope this helps dear.

I use Revlon Colorstay Liquid foundation...not heavy at all, and medium coverage. I personally love it. If you put on a liquid foundation like that one and then set it with a powder, it should last all day. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey girl sorry to hear about your makeup problems! Believe me there are many women here (including myself) who can empathize with your situation. I was put on Acutane for my severe acne, and although it had crazy side effects, it worked. (but i'm still oily!)

Before trying anything with your makeup, would it be possible for you to discuss your problem with your current dermatologist? Human skin is organic, and no matter what uber-strong makeup we put on it, our bodies will react with it in their own ways. If you are hyper-oily in your t-zone areas, foundation will never look the same as it did at the beginning of the day. You mentioned breakouts revolving around hormone levels--again, no makeup can over-ride your body's natural process. (It gets better believe me!). In a way, people who are naturally oily have an advantage (I had a dermatologist tell me this). The more oily/hydrated your skin is, the better the prevention of wrinkles. I know you're not thinking about this now, but when you're my age you'll LOVE it!

So...my first suggestion is talk with your doctor.

My own personal way of dealing with the makeup fade issue is to be gentle on your skin; use a primer (I like Lorac's), and use a mattifying foundation. (I loooovee Makeup Forever Professional's Matte Velvet; however, it's very pricey.) I use a stipple brush (being very very quick as there's not much play time) to apply it.

Also, as far as the makeup problems-- are you experiencing color problem issues (like redness around the nose showing throughout the day?) If so instead of concealing try color correcting first to help the problem (green cancels out red).

One last thing: When applying powder to set, don't over-do it. Use a fan brush or a stipple brush to gently and lightly put the powder only where needed, and only in thin, light layer(s). Don't use the sponge thing to cake it on as it will only make matters worse.

Hope this helps and keep us updated!

Back