Rachel Zoe: Fashion Week Beauty Secrets

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.rachelzoe.com/ask-rachel-fashion-week-beauty-secrets

Ask Rachel: Fashion Week Beauty Secrets 12 En Route Essentials

pola_lg_AR_beauty.jpg

Hi RZ!
I have a few business trips planned this month and don’t have a ton of space to pack my entire beauty cabinet. What are your essential beauty products when on-the-go? - Lily, via Submit A Question

Lily,

Your question comes at the prime time because I have just finished prepping for my fall fashion week tour (kicking off with New York, then London and Paris soon after!), which, as you can imagine, requires a very special round-up of carefully-selected products.

To give you an insider’s peek at said beauty finds, I have included a list below of each and every crucial cosmetic that I will be heavily relying on during the next few weeks of traveling. Incorporating indispensible skin, hair and makeup items, like Murad’s Perfecting Day Cream, Elnett’s Travel-Sized Strong Hold Hair Spray and Bobbi Brown’s Cheek Tint Stick, it is a fabulous resource for looking and feeling fresh wherever, whenever. Pack them in your beauty bag and you’ll be set—jet-set—to get gorgeous at a moment’s notice. xoRZ

Skin Savers:
Makeup Remover Wipes ($19) by MAC
Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels ($30) by Skyn Iceland
Fabulous Skin-reviving Mask 6 Pack ($38) by Bliss
Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer ($7) by Jurlique
Blotting Papers ($12) by Tatcha
Perfecting Day Cream ($47) by Murad

Hair & Makeup Must-haves:
Lip Crème in Cranberry ($29) by Exude
Travel-Sized Strong Hold Hair Spray ($7) by Elnett
So Cute Nail Lacquer ($16) by Sheswai
Travel Size Supercurl Mascara ($9) by Urban Decay
Cheek Tint Stick ($22) by Bobbi Brown
Larger Than Life Long-wear Eyeliner ($23) by Nars
So here's my take on her recommendations.

MAC's Makeup Remover Wipes, at $19 you're only getting 45 wipes. WAY too pricey when there are so many good drugstore brands for $5 or less. Skip the makeup remover wipes from MAC and head to your local drugstore and pick up a 100 pack for under $5.

I LOVE Tatcha blotting papers. I was given a few samples from liking Tatcha's Facebook account but while I loved the samples you're only getting 30 blotting papers for $12, again save your money. At Sally's Beauty Supply (US) there is Palladio Rice Paper Blotting Tissues Natural (45 for $3.99 retail). Same thing, more for less.

I have no opinion on Skyn Iceland, Bliss, Jurlique or Murad since I've never used and/or heard of those products. Well except Murad, I've heard of their company and have used some of their products (samples from Sephora) but didn't care for the products I used. Not bad but not worth the price.

As for hair and makeup must haves she recommended. $29 for lip cream? There are so many other companies - even at department stores - that cost less.

Elnett by L'Oreal, the big can is under $15 at Walgreen so a small travel size for $7 is absolutely ridiculous. Again, save your cash because most likely you can pick up a travel size hair spray at your destination or if you're just going to want a travel size hair spray you can find other high quality travel size sprays for far less.

I love Urban Decay but not their travel size mascara. You can get small travel size mascaras as freebies on most cosmetic companies Facebook pages just look for their promos and giveaways.

LOVE Bobbi Brown, even at $22 it's still a good price for a higher end product still if you're on a budget there are other comparable items on the market.

No opinion on NARS but frankly eyeliner and mascara are two of the things I'm not going to drop over $10 on simply because the shelf life of those items is typically around 6 months depending on if it's liquid, gel, cream or cake.

I love nail polish but considering I know most pro prices on salon brands I wouldn't drop $16 on a bottle of polish. I refuse to buy Dior nail polish or Butter or anything else unless I can get it at pro price. Nail polish may last a long time but with so many good quality drugstore brands on the market I rather stockpile that then drop $16 (or even $45) on a single bottle of polish.

Thoughts on Rachel's recommendations?

I can't speak for a majority of her recommendations--but this is for sure: NIX the wipes!! ( totally agree zad!!) CVS brand does the same job as MAC, if not better--and is offered at a much more affordable price. And, they are texturized.

A mask? While you're traveling? Is she kidding? Who has time to do a mask treatment when they're traveling, regardless if it's for work or pleasure?

I wouldn't buy any of that stuff, but maybe it's just me...

Back