Eyeliner before or after?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen and heard of eyeliner being used before the application of eyeshadow but I prefer it after. What are the benefits of doing it before? I really like the bold liner look and I find that its the most popular look.

The only benefit I can think of is if I'm going to smudge it out with my eyeshadow.  Beats me, I always do it after.

I do it before  and wait for it to dry before applying eyeshadow. My reason for doing it before is that this way, if I smudge the eyeliner, I can easily fix it without ruining the shadow as well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have always done it after, so the eyeshadow doesnt run over the eyeliner. especially if its black eyeliner it would look really dull.

It will be better to apply the eyeliner after applying eyeshadow. Otherwise there is a chance that the eyeliner will smudge. I am applying eyeshadow first and then applying eyeliner. It is more convenient for me.

Definitely after.  You don't wanna drag eyeliner across your eye inadvertently as you apply eyeshadow over top of it...disastrous. 

I do it before because if I happen to do any mistake in applying eye liner, I can easily hide it with a sweep of eye shadow.

I always do it after, I was just wondering how many ppl do it before. I went to a make up party before and the woman doing my make up put it on before and I was like :s

I do it before as well, for the same reason as Sharon. In case I make a mistake, the eyeshadow is always a good way to cover it up.

However, sometimes the shadow gets on the liner, and I just do a little touch-up. No biggie. 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Diorable29 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do it before as well, for the same reason as Sharon. In case I make a mistake, the eyeshadow is always a good way to cover it up.

However, sometimes the shadow gets on the liner, and I just do a little touch-up. No biggie. 
wink.gif
I third this!

I don't know if this is what you mean at all, but if you put eyeshadow on over eyeliner, it will set the liner and hopefully keep it from smudging.  However, this is only if you do your regular eyeshadow, then liner, and the run directly over the liner with a similar colored shadow.  As everyone has already said, you don't want to swipe shadow all over and drag the liner around.  Hope that helps.  

Especially if I'm using shadows that aren't dark, there's really no point in putting eyeliner on before.. unless you purposely want the shadows to stick better. After I apply eyeliner, I go over it with a black eyeshadow to smoke it out a little bit. Other than that, all my shadows go on before.

I normally put eyeliner on after eyeshadow, however; there are certain benefits to putting it on first and it depends on the look you are going for. Yes you can smudge it or you can set it with shadow but another reason is to achieve a smokier look. When I do it I will line my waterlines first and then set the eyeliner with the shadow. Then after applying all your eyeshadow you can take a gel or cream liner, or even a pencil liner and darken your lash lines even more, and you can do it without dragging your shadow off. It takes practice but it gives a very dramatic look! If anyone wants to try it let me know! I will try to do this look and post it up for everyone to see what I mean. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sometimes before, sometimes after. I can achieve the same look either way. 

Back