Skin care in winter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right now, the weather is becoming colder and colder, that means winter is going to coming.

But we all know the weather in the winter is usually drier than the other season,and this cold and dry weather of winter brings about drying of skin making it scaly. Lack of sufficient humidity out doors leads to cracked skin. Indoor heating further removes the traces of moisture and aggravates dryness of skin. Cracked, chapped and dry skin leads to various skin infections.

So how to take care of our skin in winter?

Come winter time in Canada, it gets cold, snowy, windy and very dry.

I switch to a heavier moisturier during the cooler months. Chapstick is a must! Another good tip for dry feet is to use vaseline on them! It does wonders!

It is also recommended to not have long hot showers, as they cause yoru skin to dry out much quicker, although that can be hard in the cold weather!

Here in Finland, the winters are also dry and cold. For me it's enough to just follow regular skin care rules.

Avoid hot water. I know long, hot showers are tempting but if your skin is too dry and can't take it you should avoid them. Also avoid washing your face with hot water, lukewarm is always better.

Switch to milder soap/face wash.

Moisturize often, switch to more powerful moisturizer.

Lip balm is a must for me. Start using it before your lips actually break :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Drink enough water to keep you hydrated.

I supposed the basics should be enough for most people. Hope this helps.

Welcome to MakeupTalk! from a fellow Finn. I remember how cruel the cold weather can be for the skin. It's different for me now since I live in California with more even temperatures. 

I usually use a lotion that will help in maintaining a good moisture for my skin. During winter, I eat a lot of good fruits and stay warm as much as possible.

I think it is very important that we hydrate our skin during these months. 

I read this article and it provided me some really good advice...Rejuvenate Your Skin

Thanks for your advice too!!!

Yes I think a winter-suitable moisturizer is important. The summer or generic moisturizers may not be enough. I am always tempted by mildy-hot showers. Thanks for reminding me about chapstick!

Moisturize the skin is always the most impotant things to care skin and in winter prevent skin from hurting by cold wind is necessary.

I always change my moisturiser in the winter, I have quite sensitive skin and I find my skin dries out much more in the winter months. For a real treat I use Skinceuticals Emollience which is fantastic for colder weather - has anyone else used this? If i'm on a budget (especially just before Christmas when I'm buying presents galore) I use Cetaphil Moisturising Cream which is a bargain.

Originally Posted by Faceskin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here in Finland, the winters are also dry and cold. For me it's enough to just follow regular skin care rules.

Avoid hot water. I know long, hot showers are tempting but if your skin is too dry and can't take it you should avoid them. Also avoid washing your face with hot water, lukewarm is always better.

Switch to milder soap/face wash.

Moisturize often, switch to more powerful moisturizer.

Lip balm is a must for me. Start using it before your lips actually break :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Drink enough water to keep you hydrated.

I supposed the basics should be enough for most people. Hope this helps.
Nice ways

Usually facial skin become dry in the winter season. So you should drink plenty of water in day time to keep yourself as well your skin hydrated. Besides, use coconut
oil to moisturize your skin. It is excellent to use on very dry skin, making your skin soft and smooth. 

Winter skin care has become somewhat of an obsession with me since my skin gets so dry it can get so chapped it will actually hurt. Here are some products that really help sooth chapped skin and prevent it from getting that dry in the first place.

1. Lancome Cleansing Milk-Once winter hurts I try to wash my face without using water as much as possible. Cleansing milk uses so little water and provides so much moisture. You put in on your dry skin, moisten your hands and rub it in and then wipe off any excess with a towel. It feels amazing on a cold day.

2. Cetaphil Body Cream-This is a lifesaver that I use all year round. It comes in a giant tub and is one of the thickest lotions I've ever used. It's not greasy at all but provides constant moisture without having to reapply.

3. Aquafor-Chapped lips are a horrendous side effect to cold weather and this is an amazing fix.

4. Kiehl's Hand Salve-It's thick and creamy and I never leave home without a tube in my bag.

In winter, you can apply moisturisng cream twice a day. After take a shower, you can apply it on your body. You can also apply a raw milk with cotton on your face.

Deleted per violating TOS

Back