Tarte Holiday Collection 2011

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Starlet Palette: $52

24x eyeshadows

1x bronzer, 2x blushes, 1x highlighter

1x lash primer, 1x mascara

Lip Service LipSurgence Collection: $29

3x lip luster, 2x lip tint

SmolderEYES Waterproof Liner Collection: $39

6x waterproof amazonian clay liners

Rising Star Palette: $29

12x eyeshadows 2x  applicators

1x bronzer 2x blushes 1x highlighter

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone have these?

Didn't want to add this to the title post, but I just got the Starlet palette a few days ago, and I have some reallly mixed feelings.. I don't know whether I should return it or not--honestly, the only thing stopping me are the blushes and mascaras!

The eyeshadows realllly vary in quality, and most are poorly pigmented with too much chunky glitter. I've heard once you get past the "top layer", it gets better.. Does anyone with this palette feel like that was the case?   The case itself looks cheap; it's all-plastic (even the "mirrors") and feels like it too. The drawers don't come out, so I don't know how you'd remove the trays inside without damaging them..   The blushes/bronzer/highlighter, on the other hand, are beauuutiful! The full sizes of the bronzer and highlighter are $30 each, but it's kind of ridiculous to keep this kit just for a few teeny tiny blush samples! I've heard the colors in the Rising Star palette are just as bad (chunky glitter, not well-pigmented) but at least it's $29 for the blushes/bronzer/highlighter :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The Starlet palette looks cool and it's an awesome deal for all the stuff you get, but I think it would be a PITA to store. I get that it's supposed to sit out and be pretty, but my vanity doesn't have a lot of desk space, if you know what I mean. Plus, I wouldn't ever want to travel with something like that. 

But for people that are really interested in it, Emily Noel did an in-depth review on her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83#p/u/16/DOmlsBslW0Q (not affiliated). 

even in her videos, you can tell that half the colors are just pale and not pigmented--but even then, there's a difference between the way you swatch on your arm and the way you apply eyeshadow on your eyes, you know? like, the darker colors show nicely pigmented when you rub it on your arms, but when I apply shadows on my eyes it's much more gentle and blended out, so the pigmentation just isn't as nice. even with a primer, the eyeshadows just didn't do it for me :/

I definitely wouldn't recommend Tarte eyeshadows, just based on this palette. I heard the Holiday 2010 box was muuuch better though.

Originally Posted by YoursEvermore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But for people that are really interested in it, Emily Noel did an in-depth review on her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83#p/u/16/DOmlsBslW0Q (not affiliated). 

I agree. I wasn't blown away by the swatches I saw. But come to think of it, I haven't been impressed with any of the Tarte eyeshadows, really. Even the True Blood palette had some serious misses in it. 

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

even in her videos, you can tell that half the colors are just pale and not pigmented--but even then, there's a difference between the way you swatch on your arm and the way you apply eyeshadow on your eyes, you know? like, the darker colors show nicely pigmented when you rub it on your arms, but when I apply shadows on my eyes it's much more gentle and blended out, so the pigmentation just isn't as nice. even with a primer, the eyeshadows just didn't do it for me :/

Totally agree, I almost bought this but I am so glad I didn't. Alot of the colors are colors I already own (different brands) in my collection...The only thing I liked about it was the packaging b/c it matches all the furniture in my room.

Back