Open pores lately..

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies, need your advices pls...

I have average skin but lately I noticed that my pores are opening up.  I do have good skin care regime which i faithfully do every night.  I have not had such an issue at all  but have been noticing it lately.  Is it due to age cos I am in my late 30s reaching forties in a year.  Anything I shld take note or do or just leave it and just go on with my skin care regime.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

emma

I definetly think its just your age and not your skin care routine. The older we get the larger and more visible our pores become. Its a combination of your age and changing hormones.

As long as your skin is still clear and nice looking then your skin care regime is working and there isn't much more you can do about pore size.

There are a few "pore minimizing" primers you can try underneath your makeup, but the results are minimal and very temporary.

Whilst it is possible you are in the peri-menopause, your skin changing is more likely to be turnover slowing down and getting drier due to the natural ageing process (accelerated by sun exposure, smoking etc.) than your hormones!!
icon_eek.gif
There is plenty you can do to minimise the appearance of your pores with lifestyle and skincare rather than cosmetics. I am pushing forty too but look a decade younger, my skin looks many years younger than my (junior) sibling. When my skin is fully hydrated in the following way even my nose pores are virtually invisible, it makes sense because pores are actually 'holes' so the more you plump up the surrounding skin the less visible they will be.

Firstly be sure to eat healthily - seven to nine portions of fruit and veg each day, at least two litres of water, oily fish three times a week OR a daily EPA & DHA supplement, plenty of other healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds). Limit sugar, refined/ white carbs, caffeine, alcohol, soda and salt which are all dehydrating. Get plenty of sleep and take regular exercise because these boost circulation feeding the skin with nutrients and water. Some girls report more hydrated and plumped skin from low molecular weight hyaluronic acid supplements, but you should run this past your doctor beforehand as it's not part of the regular healthy living recommendations.

Do not use foaming cleansers - especially sulphate surfactants - or exfoliating scrubs, choose natural oil-based cleansing lotions or the Oil Cleansing Method instead. You might consider a weekly light home lactic acid peel to exfoliate, encourage skin turnover and clear any clogged pores. Then consider adding proven humectants to your skincare routine - urea and lactic acid gently exfoliate and hydrate simultaneously, hyaluronic acid hydrates and all three are naturally found in the skin. Proven emollients to look for in your day and night creams include olive squalane, rosehip seed oil or lanolin, all three absorb really well.

You can try use OLAY anti aging cream - probably will help you out on your problem. Aging the most common problem that we will all encounter. What we can do is to reduce signs of aging ..

Originally Posted by katana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definetly think its just your age and not your skin care routine. The older we get the larger and more visible our pores become. Its a combination of your age and changing hormones.

As long as your skin is still clear and nice looking then your skin care regime is working and there isn't much more you can do about pore size.

There are a few "pore minimizing" primers you can try underneath your makeup, but the results are minimal and very temporary.

Hi kat,

thanks for your reply...woww age also makes lots of diff...im kinda sad but thats okay i will stick to my skin care regime...wldnt ask for more...

Hey fire,

thanks for such an advice...im not having much fruits in my diet...no reason for that.  I try to drink more water now and cut down on my sodas...im a coke freak...and im trying to stop as much as i can.  Some of the oils you mentioned I dun think i can find it in Singapore as far as i know...i shld buy them online.  I will try to add your advices into my life..

thanks babe appreciate this.

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whilst it is possible you are in the peri-menopause, your skin changing is more likely to be turnover slowing down and getting drier due to the natural ageing process (accelerated by sun exposure, smoking etc.) than your hormones!!
icon_eek.gif
There is plenty you can do to minimise the appearance of your pores with lifestyle and skincare rather than cosmetics. I am pushing forty too but look a decade younger, my skin looks many years younger than my (junior) sibling. When my skin is fully hydrated in the following way even my nose pores are virtually invisible, it makes sense because pores are actually 'holes' so the more you plump up the surrounding skin the less visible they will be.

Firstly be sure to eat healthily - seven to nine portions of fruit and veg each day, at least two litres of water, oily fish three times a week OR a daily EPA & DHA supplement, plenty of other healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds). Limit sugar, refined/ white carbs, caffeine, alcohol, soda and salt which are all dehydrating. Get plenty of sleep and take regular exercise because these boost circulation feeding the skin with nutrients and water. Some girls report more hydrated and plumped skin from low molecular weight hyaluronic acid supplements, but you should run this past your doctor beforehand as it's not part of the regular healthy living recommendations.

Do not use foaming cleansers - especially sulphate surfactants - or exfoliating scrubs, choose natural oil-based cleansing lotions or the Oil Cleansing Method instead. You might consider a weekly light home lactic acid peel to exfoliate, encourage skin turnover and clear any clogged pores. Then consider adding proven humectants to your skincare routine - urea and lactic acid gently exfoliate and hydrate simultaneously, hyaluronic acid hydrates and all three are naturally found in the skin. Proven emollients to look for in your day and night creams include olive squalane, rosehip seed oil or lanolin, all three absorb really well.

hey pandy,

thanks for replying..i find that olay products does not suit my skin..either i get too oily or breakouts.  I will just have to stick to my skin care and some tips given up above...

Originally Posted by pandy1021 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can try use OLAY anti aging cream - probably will help you out on your problem. Aging the most common problem that we will all encounter. What we can do is to reduce signs of aging ..

I purchased my last batch of oils on eBay. TBH tho it might be best to focus on your lifestyle since the sugar, caffeine and acidity of cola is highly inflammatory and thus ageing as well as contributing to dehydration. The easiest way to quit a habit is not to put temptation in your path by knowing your personal triggers for a craving - sounds nuts but this really works for smokers and alcoholics because a large proportion of any addiction is the ingrained habits and rituals not the physical cravings. Go grocery shopping once a week on a full stomach and with a list, don't purchase soda so it is not in the refrigerator every time you open it, keep your hands and mouth occupied (bowl of chopped fresh or frozen fruit!) when you get a craving, avoid places that are high risk (vending machine/ corner shop), don't carry spare cash when you cannot avoid triggers, walk or drive a different route to avoid high risk places, sit in a different chair at mealtimes or while watching TV.

Originally Posted by emmy2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey fire,

thanks for such an advice...im not having much fruits in my diet...no reason for that.  I try to drink more water now and cut down on my sodas...im a coke freak...and im trying to stop as much as i can.  Some of the oils you mentioned I dun think i can find it in Singapore as far as i know...i shld buy them online.  I will try to add your advices into my life..

thanks babe appreciate this.

Hi fire,

yea i m getting there on my sodas...refrained from drinking and have added water in my life...I just need to incorporate exercise in my life which i have been postponing..haiz...need to get my butt out of the house.  I do work on shift duties..and am always tired..i need my nap cos I sleep late at night on the days when i don work..so i m just giving excuses of not doing it but it has been at the back of mind...I have a running test coming by next mth..and have not even trained myself..huh!!! I just need to get started one day and guess it will follow...Now the raining season has started in Singapore so it adds on...

I just need motivation...

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I purchased my last batch of oils on eBay. TBH tho it might be best to focus on your lifestyle since the sugar, caffeine and acidity of cola is highly inflammatory and thus ageing as well as contributing to dehydration. The easiest way to quit a habit is not to put temptation in your path by knowing your personal triggers for a craving - sounds nuts but this really works for smokers and alcoholics because a large proportion of any addiction is the ingrained habits and rituals not the physical cravings. Go grocery shopping once a week on a full stomach and with a list, don't purchase soda so it is not in the refrigerator every time you open it, keep your hands and mouth occupied (bowl of chopped fresh or frozen fruit!) when you get a craving, avoid places that are high risk (vending machine/ corner shop), don't carry spare cash when you cannot avoid triggers, walk or drive a different route to avoid high risk places, sit in a different chair at mealtimes or while watching TV.

Back