Where are all the "normal" clothes???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know about y'all, but I have a terrible time finding clothes that fit me (size 18) that are just normal classic clothes.  Everything is either very trendy, and obviously geared to a younger crowd (I'm 43), or, pardon the expression, granny-ish.  I work in a school bus garage (admin) so I can, and do, wear jeans everyday, and I have had the hardest time finding jeans.  Not skinny jeans and not "mom" jeans.  It seems like a lot of plus size clothing stores just take the trend and make it bigger.  No shaping or consideration for a waist line or anything.  Just because my butt is big, doesn't mean my shoulders are.  I just want nice tops that aren't off the shoulder or a tube top.  I want a nice sweater that is a normal length, not a tunic (although I do like tunic length stuff in some things), and not huge and boxy. 

So, where are you ladies who aren't a size 2 finding good classic clothes?

Hm...tough question (to answer for me, the size 0 high school student). I have larger cousins and they have a similar problem, so when we go shopping, they always get frustrated because nothing looks good. What we do is we look at clothes they like and take note of them. Then we go online to the store's website and check to see if it has extended sizes. Many stores do that. It's worked okay so far!

I don't know about stores in Tennessee, but here in Canada we have Penningtons, Laura Plus (which carries really nice clothing, formal stuff too) Addition Elle. Voluptuous (also nice clothing, some trendy styles) and Reitmans.

As for online clothing you can try Lane Bryant, they ship internationally and have some really nice things.

I know not being able to try things on in store kinda sucks, but they have a how to measure guide online that you can use before placing orders.

Honestly, I just alter my clothes to whatever style I want. Sometimes I go to the Good Will and buy things but change them when I get home. I'm a bit of a hippie/ 60's rocker (among other things). Have you tried Burlington Coat Factory? I just bought some really chic sweaters and dress pants. They were about $10 each.

I'm from BC, size 14-16, age 43 and I truly can't I've had a tough time at getting clothing.  Walmart, Winners, Sears, The Bay even liquidation stores and Costco carry styles that I wear.  I've even bought cloths on eBay.  My clothing choices have been casual, office wear and formals (cocktail and gowns).    

If i like the apparel, i will buy it and alter according to my body shape. It will be better option.

I'm 37 and was in the same boat. I like to wear clean classic items that can pull double duty with slacks or jeans and I have been having some good luck in JCPenny's recently in the misses section. Having just lost a bunch of weight, I had to relearn where to shop since Avenue and Lane Bryant no longer really fit me. Maybe start there?

you might need them tailored.  

all clothes are created according to one of two specifications.  first is a woman who is 5'8 and a size 8.  second is a woman who is 5'8 and a size 14.  these are standard fit models and they are the ones who try on clothes before it goes into production.  after the clothes is created according to the body proportions of this particular woman, then they are simply made bigger or smaller based on what size they will put on the label.  so pretty much every woman will need to have the clothes tailored if they are to look good. for the best fit look for plus sizes in higher end department stores (neiman marcus, lord and tailor, etc).  this means you won't be able to buy as many pieces but you should be able to get high quality pieces you use many times over, especially if you have a classic style.  alternatively you might even want to work with a tailor who can create things to your specs.

I had a really bad problem with this when living overseas, although I'm supposedly the 'proper' weight for my height and build. NOTHING fit me. All the shirts were too short and narrow in the shoulders, the bras too small and tight and the pants often too short as well. Fortunately it was very cheap to have clothes custom made or altered there and there were some extremely talented tailors. I even drew up a design for my wedding outfits and had them custom made. Unless I wanted to spend a stupid amount on clothing in the designer brand stores, that was my only option at the time, other than the 'granny clothes' that you mentioned. Flowered mumus were bloody plentiful everywhere :) Good luck finding stores which will provide you with the proper sized clothing. I know how frustrating that is.

Back