How often do you exfoliate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually do it once a month, but I recently bought a new Garnier Exfoliator and i love it. Plus in the winter, i want to make sure I get off the dead skin off!

Can you exfoliate too much?

Any other favorite exfoliators?

Hi! My name is Maddie and I recently graduated esthetics school. You can over-exfoliate and it's almost even worse using an exfoliator during winter because it will dry out your skin and make it more oily. If you're going to exfoliate, do it once every two or three days/a week and use a very mild, gentle exfoliator. I use the neutrogena gentle exfoliator in cucumber and even though my skin is very oily, I noticed that it dries out my skin when I use it every night. Make sure you moisturize every night and in the morning if you need it. It's usually the best to exfoliate every week to slough off dead skin cells.

As Jesse says you definitely can over-exfoliate - the result can be dryness, sensitivity to any products you apply thereafter and even breakouts. Your skin needs the protective surface layer just as much in winter as in summer as it helps hold water in and protects from the elements. I have sensitive skin so use either a muslin cloth with my regular cleansing lotion OR a very dilute lactic acid peel (naturally found in the skin and hydrates whilst exfoliating!). Alongside my regular moisturiser this leaves my skin silkier than any commercial product I ever tried without any tightness or irritation. I don't have a fixed schedule, just exfoliate when I think my skin needs it.

I have an microdermabration (Boots No7 - http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Total-Renewal-Micro-Dermabrasion-Exfoliator-75ml_21951/) exfoliator that I use about once or twice a week, then the rest of the week I use dermalogica's microfoliant (http://www.dermalogica.com/uk/html/products/daily-microfoliant-11.html) which is more like a soap, or Bliss's fabulous foaming facewash (a brilliant sample from a beautybox a while back.)

I've used the boots stuff for years as the tiny beads are really tiny but have a fantastic effect! love it!

In the winter I do not exfoliate because I have cannot stand having dry skin, but in the summer I exfoliate once a week.

Twice a day. It doesn't make my skin more sensitive or any more oily than it is. I use either my manual exfoliation doo dad - like a buff puff - or my glycolic acid cleanser, which also exfoliates. The buff puff is better for winter as it doesn't leave my skin dry at all and removes all the dead skin. Glycolic acid cleansers work better for me in the summer. Dont believe everything you hear. Get to know your own skin and do what's right for it.

Maybe once or twice a week, sometimes less. I exfoliate when my skin feels like it needs it. As satojoko said, get to know your skin and do what's best for you not what someone recommended :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Once a month, I'll use the Dermalogica Cream Exfoliant, then maintain once/week for the rest of the month with Juice Beauty Sensitive Green Apple Peel. Both are gentle enough, but the Dermalogica is a lot more heavy-duty.

I exfoliate once a week now although I used to do it more, found that I actually got more pimples when I did it. I use the Olay pro-x. Olay pro x review they say in this one that it turns your cheeks pink too, but that never happened to me. I also use it on my lips for exfoliation before I put on my moisturizer or plumper.

I don't use anything but my exfoliating gloves and a body wash every time I shower. When I don't do it, my skin gets a very dull, lifeless look to it.

I've had zero success using product so I've stuck with my gloves. The only real issue is the gloves being sold now are mostly a cotton thread type which is not as coarse as I prefer so it is becoming a real challenge. Whenever I do find them though, I stock up! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use an Olay exfoliating facewash on my face every other day.  To be honest I haven't exfoliated my body in months- I guess part of the reason is that I don't want to exfoliate away the fading tan I still have left over from the summer. But I just got a couple of body scrubs so I'm gonna start doing that maybe once every couple of weeks.  Is exfoliating really necessary at all?  I mean, is there any health reason to do so? 

I exfo with glycolic acid cream 2 nights per week. Once per week, I use my Clarisonic for a good light scrubbing and deeper cleaning.

I exfoliate twice a week to get rid of the layer of dead skin cells and to remove extra oil from my face as I have little oily skin. I use a mixture of sugar and lemon to exfoliate my skin.

once or twice a week, depends how my skin is feeling. Sometimes I forget too.

I exfolliate every single day !  Dry brushing ! Not a dot of cellulite ! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Helps circulation and to regenerate collagen

I exfoliate every 2/3 days depending on how my skin feels.  If I exfoliate too much my skin gets extremely dry and more sensitive. 

I exfoliate twice a week with Murad's AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser.  It has a grainy texture, but it does not feel rough at all.  My skin always feels so soft after using this stuff.

Back