Is Spray Tanning safe?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New investigations are showing that DHA may not be as safe as we once thought, at least not for completing coating yourself inside a booth with. 

Here is a story from ABC: 

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/safety-popular-spray-tans-question-protected/story?id=16542918#.T-SFpBdfHkU

"The active chemical used in spray tans, dihydroxyacetone (DHA), has the potential to cause genetic alterations and DNA damage, according to a panel of medical experts who reviewed 10 of the most-current publicly available scientific studies on DHA for ABC News, including a federal report ABC News obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

Six medical experts in areas ranging across the fields of dermatology, toxicology and pulmonary medicine said they "have concerns" after reviewing the literature and reports about DHA, the main chemical in the popular "spray-on" tan, which has conventionally been referred to as the "safe" alternative to tanning under ultraviolet lights.

None of the reviewed studies tested on actual human subjects, but some found DHA altered genes of multiple types of cells and organisms when tested in different labs by different scientists after the chemical was approved for use in the consumer market."

I heard that story the other day as well. It is actually what got me to try tan towels instead. I'm not gonna lie I still have 4 spray tan sessions left but the more I thought about it I really have no idea what is in spray tan products. I know many things are considered unsafe but this just made me think about not putting unknown spray on my body. But I will be going for my last 4 tans haha !! They are pricey where I live.

It's dangerous if you inhale or ingest the spray. You can protect yourself by wearing goggles, a nose clip, and keeping your mouth closed. But if you don't think you can stop all of it from getting in, then you may want to try something like a lotion instead.

I do like a spray tan a lot better than the traditional method of tanning, but I have never thought it to be completely ‘safe’. Until they slap the same warnings on it as with traditional tanning, I am going to continue with it. Primarily because I think the at-home sprays always end up uneven.

Its usually not good for you to inhale, but unless you're gonna spray it and then run outside before taking a breath, I don't think there's anyway to avoid it. Even with lotions, they most likely will still have the same chemicals in it which is soaking into your skin and could still not be good for you.

I agree with @@Esthylove, although I can't exactly say (as I've never tried it before) but, just the thought of having chemicals and ingredients that we don't ENTIERLY know about penetrate our skin doesn't real,y sound that clever/good.

Just a thought. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I say use it until they come out with concrete evidence (if they do). Sure we aren't ever 100% safe from everything, but the way I see it, it's better than laying in the sun or going tanning. I would rather just be careful and put a fan on to circulate the air and do it anyways. But they that's just me!

I mean, I'm sure I did more harm just now cleaning the shower with cleaner than I'd get from tanner!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back