What Makeup Application Sponge(s) Do You Use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those who use a sponge to apply makeup, which brand & shape do you use? 

For me, there's only certain brands of wedges I'll use, like I'll purposely for out of my way to seek out the Rucci brand & a few certain other brands & I'll get a 100 qty pack.  Most others have this smooth, waxy-type surface that I don't like. 

I was at Walmart the other day & I've found my new favorite brand/shape:  Swisspers Professional crescent-shaped wedges:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swisspers-Professional-Make-Up-Application-Wedges-12ct/19856867?srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=33-73767600-2&adid=1500000000000036337730&veh=cse

I like Quo's makeup wedges (it's a Shoppers Drug Mart brand so it's only in Canada). I like wedges that are more dense and springy feeling, some wedges feel very porous and almost scratchy. These ones are smooth and rubbery feeling almost.

For me sponges give a more flawless and buildable coverage, without looking like I am wearing too much makeup.  At the moment I'm using regular cosmo wedge sponges I got from Boots.

I plan on buying this beauty blender sponge, I haven't come across anyone that has anything bad to say about it.  Is there anyone here who has tried this?

I like using latex wedges for f/x based make-ups because they are firm and not porous like the non-latex ones. I do keep a small bag (20 wedges) of non-latex ones for allergy/sensitivity actors.

I also use sea sponges for body make-up applications, abeit it is old-school and is tricky to achieve an airbrushed look with one. However, airbrushing is the way to go, but when you don't have access to one, this old-school method is time tested.

If your sponges have a smooth waxy texture then you need to get them wet before you use them they will be super soft.

I always use my sponges that I get from Motion Picture FX they are thicker and hold up.

I love my egg sponge however I hate the red dye, get the beige ones. If you can't afford one just bevel the edges of you regular sponge.

I

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your sponges have a smooth waxy texture then you need to get them wet before you use them they will be super soft.

I always use my sponges that I get from Motion Picture FX they are thicker and hold up.

I love my egg sponge however I hate the red dye, get the beige ones. If you can't afford one just bevel the edges of you regular sponge.

I
Yeah, I've noticed that the red tends to fade after repeated washings. (I know that the colour doesn't transfer via make-up apps). I've also noticed that the egg sponges are better for home personal use rather than for professional use (film / tv) as the constant cleaning does eventually break it down prematurally. Is that your experience with that as well studiomakeup?

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I've noticed that the red tends to fade after repeated washings. (I know that the colour doesn't transfer via make-up apps). I've also noticed that the egg sponges are better for home personal use rather than for professional use (film / tv) as the constant cleaning does eventually break it down prematurally. Is that your experience with that as well studiomakeup?
I hate having to clean a pile of sponges, so much easier to toss in the trash.

I always worry about working on people with red dye allergies, would never take the chance. They do start to break down, but all sponges will.

Back