Foundation Advice? Or Does this Happen to Everyone?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey allll!

So I recently have been running into a foundation issue. I will tell you my application process then the problem so you have an idea:

1. Wash face & dry

2. Moisturize

3. Prime (this may/may not happen during summer0

4. apply liquid foundation using a brush/stippling method.

5. let set. apply finishing powder.

now the problem i'm facing is that when I itch my face, my foundation flakes up under my finger nails. I don't scratch too hard or anything. But when I'm finished & look at my nails, there's foundation caked under my nails. i don't wear a lot of it to begin with so my face doesn't look too different but it's just the point that that definitely makes it wear faster.... any suggestions?

hmmm... maybe try applying it with a sponge (like the Beauty Blender or something similar). Do you mist your face with a setting spray or something like  MAC Fix+?

It sounds like you're applying too much? And it isn't setting properly. Try a setting spray and using less liquid foundation.

All I can say is quit scratching your face. IMO using less foundation won't matter. Do you normally scratch your face without foundation? Do you think you might be reacting to one of the products on your face?

Since you are applying a liquid then a powder, it will more cakey.  Foundations sit on top of your skin. The only thing that should absorb is your moisturizer and sunscreen.  You don't want foundation to absorb into your skin, that would be bad.  When I scratch, there will be some under my nail.  As long as I don't leave a giant streak of bare skin after,  I'm ok.    Take Leti's advice, and don't scratch your face. If you are itchy, you may be allergic to one of those products you have applied.

@beautiiijunkii: No, I don't like using sponges because they don't work as well as my brush =/ I occasionally use one of UD's setting sprays, but that's not a part of my regular daily routine.

@dbgenevieve: No, I can assure you that I am using quite a minimal amount of foundation, lol.

@internetchick: ohh, no! It's not like I'm super duper scratching like as if I had a reaction. I just usually have to itch the side of my nose or my cheek quickly once I'm done. Kind of like how I sneeze everytime I have JUST applied my mascara and it's still wet. It's just one of those things that's me. I was just wondering if there was anyway to not have it rake up under my fingernails.

@divadoll: so it happens to you, too? I don't expect it to absorb into my skin but I wouldn't expect it to all cake up under my nails when I just drag my nail down my nose, lol.

thank you ladies for your advice!!

I have exactly the same problem whether using mineral powder or liquid i just try not to itch with my nails. Im intrigued by the suggestion of using setting spray without stating the obvious what is it?

I don't use liquid foundation anymore. This happens when I've used bb cream with MMU which I also don't do anymore. I have been using MMU for 4 yrs now and no caking and I just use bb cream on its own. Maybe you can allow it to die better before applying power.

So does it actually flake off into flakes or does it just kind of gather under your nail? I would try patting as opposed to scratching. Does it happen with every foundation you use? Have you tried different foundations? Try the process of elimination: don't use the powder and see if it still happens, then one day use the powder but not the foundation and see if it happens then. That should give you some type of info about what's happening.

i think you'll have some makeup come up when you scratch. You're going to have some wear with makeup no matter what. I get that too when I scratch or something, but then kind of rub it to blend it again in case I have scratched too hard and took off too much makeup. I've used pro long wear foundations, powders, with/without primers, and it can still happen a lil bit.

DON'T SCRATCH!!!!!!!

Any rubbing, scratching, swimming in salt water nothing will last even with setting spray.

The only products that don't rub off are alcohol based and you don't use those around the eye area.

Back