Eyeliner not showing up, any tips on layering?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought Elf's cream eyeliner in "Punk Purple" and it's just not showing up for me. I'm super pale so I thought it'd be too dark, but actually it barely shows up. I'm using an angled brush from Coastal Scents to apply and the more I try to apply it appears darker on the edges but completely clear in the center. Am I doing anything wrong? Any tips on how to keep this from happening?

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried applying it wet?
Actually no, I wasn't sure if the consistency would hold up since it's very creamy. I'll have to try this tomorrow morning and report my findings! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just to be sure, you mean wetting the brush then dipping it into the product and applying it?

Are your eyelids oily at all? If so, just make sure to wash the oil off of them and sometimes that helps liner adhere better.

Maybe try a primer. I've got a black cream liner from ELF and hardly use it because I didn't think it was pigmented enough.

It could be oily lids, it happens to me with liners too. You can also layer the liner with a similar powder shadow to show up more. Kind of defeats the purpose or the ease of using it, but at least it's getting some use :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This may sound crazy but in the "old days" we used to heat up eyeliner that wouldnt work with a lighter. Just hold it over the flame for a sec just to soften it. Usually had to do that with cheaper products but at least they get use. Or if you dont want to do that, hold it between your fingers to warm it up and soften it. Might work

Try an eye-primer first.

With cream liners, I find it SO much easier if you scoop up some of the product and

apply it to the back of your hand. With the brush swirl it around, the warmth of your hand

makes the product become easier to apply (it becomes more creamer). It does go on so much better!

GL!

I don't have oily lids, or at least I don't think so. I tried it with a wet brush and it didn't work. I need to go pick up a primer to test if that will help. I understand it is supposed to be a dark purple, but it shows up as this very thin see through plum colour, and no matter how I layer it it won't darken up. It might be used on those days where I want a more subtle line because it barely shows up.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

It is probably the liner, not you. If you need an inexpensive cream liner Wet N Wild in Eggplant is really good.

Back