Best Mascara and Eyeshadows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!  I have been on the search for a great mascara for a while now and I've found some good ones, but nothing great.  I have somewhat long lashes, but they are completely straight and thin (I do curl them).  I like dramatic lashes, but usually end up with spider lashes if I try for drama.  I've tried most mascara's by Maybelline and Covergirl and both brands are just okay for me.  I have tried high end ones like Clinique and Tarte which seem to be too heavy for my lashes and they won't hold a curl.  I didn't care for Per-fekt lash and I've tried Blinc and Jane Iredale and they were about the worst mascara's I've used recently.  I tend to have a hard time spending a lot of money on Mascara since it's got such a short shelf life once it's opened and used.  So, what is your favorite mascara and why? 

I also have recently gotten into eyeshadows again (for years, I've been a shadow pencil girl).  I've tried a Clinique one, ELF, and Palladio and I haven't been impressed.  I want a matte shadow palette in neutral colors or browns.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Rumor has it that urban decay will be coming out with an all matte neutral palette. That sounds like it'd be right up your alley, if you are willing to wait and see if that happens.

My favorite mascara is fairy drops. It is pricier at $24 at sephora, but I LOVE it. I've also been testing out they're real by benefit, and while I like it I don't love it.

My favorite mascara is MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash. It's about $15. I like it because the formula is really good, it coats my lashes well, it's volumizing and I get great lashes after just one coat.

Oooh, a UD matte neutral palette would be just my thing!  I'll wait and see if the rumors are true.  I've never heard of Fairy Drops, but we don't have a Sephora here and I do far more shopping at Ulta.com than Sephora.  I'll have to look into it!  I will also try the MAC Zoom!  Thank you for the suggestions!

There are photos up about the matte UD palette on another thread. Looks like a combo of mattes from the Nakeds. For mascara, I used to love Maybelline but am finding the formulas go clumpy and bad fast compared to others, leaving me with about a month of good use?. I've had good luck with L'Oreal mascara, the stiletto and voluminous ones? You might not like Tarte, but I love their lights, camera, lashes one. It gives great length and some volume, while holding my curl all day/night....but I'd try L'Oreal for budget friendly! You can buy it at any drugstore and big box stores, plus most have decent return policies on cosmetics now.

Oh Yeah- the loreal one that is beauty tube style...I believe its called double extend and it comes in a red tube, that is a great mascara for about 10 dollars!

I haven't tried L'Oreal in years...it sounds like I'll have to give them a try.  Ulta just opened a store in my area last week (woohoo!) and they sent out coupons so I'll head in there tomorrow and see what I can find.  BTW, does anybody know if Ulta also accepts manufacturers coupons?  Thanks!

Urban Decay's Supercurl mascara is one of my favourites.

I prefer sparkly dark eyeshadows though (also generally from UD) so I'm no help in suggesting neutral matte shades haha.

I was very tempted to buy theBalm's 'Meet Matt(e)' palette after reading positive reviews, still might next time it's on sale. 9x matte shadows, mainly neutrals, but with 3 bluish/purplish (not brights though). Might not be bad for you! If you have some patience it will probably show up on again on Hautelook for $19 or so which isn't a bad deal imho. 

I haven't found any mascara I'm in love with, and I've tried a bunch. I have VERY stubborn straight lashes, so anything that claims it holds a curl, won't on me unless it's waterproof (which means waterproof formulas must be like cement if they can hold my lashes up lol)

I really liked Benefit's 'flawless definition volumizing mascara' because it wasn't chunky/clumpy but gave great length; though. it doesn't hold a curl well.

Fairy Drops has amazing reviews--it gave me the same smooth, non-clumpy effect as the Blinc mascara, but it didn't do much for me.

L'oreal's waterproof lashblast will hold any curl for days, but it's clumpy and makes your lashes brittle.

UD's curling mascara works well, it's probably your best bet if your lashes don't hold curl well and you don't want chunky spider lashes.

Shiseido's perfect mascara is another one that holds a curl pretty well.

The Too Faced 'better-than-false' is worth a try, you'll get some crazy results. But for it to stay curled, I guess you'd have to use a waterproof base mascara.

If I can find theBalm matte palette for $19, I would totally buy it.  I guess I should start peeking at Hautelook everyday.  I usually forget about it until somebody mentions it. 

I have never found a waterproof mascara that I like, but it's been years since I've purchased one (the last time was for my wedding 7 years ago, lol).  I guess I'm off to Ulta to see what I can find.  Thank you all so much for the suggestions and help!

I used to see them occasionally at TJ Maxx, but that was about a year ago. They used to have these great kits for $10, I got the full-sized Mary Lou Manizer with a lip gloss. I guess TheBalm was just clearing excess inventory or something

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I can find theBalm matte palette for $19, I would totally buy it.  I guess I should start peeking at Hautelook everyday.  I usually forget about it until somebody mentions it. 

Try Almay Get up and Grow in the white tube. I saw it on emilynoel's channel, tried it, and loved it.

I recently got a L'Oreal mascara I love...it's one of the Double Extend ones, but it's not the red one mentioned above, it's in a blue tube. It has a primer with serum on one side you apply before the mascara and I am really liking the results, my lashes do appear longer and fuller and feel softer.

As for shadows, I have heard great things about theBalm's Meet Matte palette, though I haven't tried it (I'm more into brights and shimmers).

Thank you all so much for your help!  I still haven't bought an eyeshadow, but I did buy the L'Oreal double extend in the red tube and Revlon 3D Volume yesterday (I had a coupon for the Revlon, lol).  I have been using the Lashem from Beauty Army but I haven't noticed a difference yet, but it's only been about 10 days.

Revlon 16-hour Colorstay Eyeshadow quads are FANTASTIC!  I got Adventurous - light pink, light taupe, mink brown, and dark brown.  Beautiful!  I've been having to force myself if I want to wear something else in the day ever since I got it.  And they've got several nice neutrals in the line.  They're around $8 each.

Edit to admit I lied.  I got Attitude.  Adventurous looks like very similar colors, but I believe has a slight shimmer in a few of the shades.

for mascara, i can never find just one that works well all by itself. so i use falsies flared first for volume, and then i use lash stiletto on the ends for length. thats the only combo that i have been able to get to work for me. i use both of them in the waterproof formulas. also, you can only put the falsies on once...dont try to touch it up later in the day. it wont work lol youll just have clumps for days. i touch up with the lash stiletto.

as far as eye shadows, i know that i have read tons and tons of rave reviews about the sonia kashuk palette. heres a link from target...

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-instructional-eye-palette/-/A-13348177

Back