Sign in to follow this  
lovelywhim

Ipsy/MyGlam: November 2012

Just an FYI, I don't really feel like JustFab's shoes are worth it. The quality is kind of dubious and the one I ordered was so uncomfortable that I returned it after just putting it on. Their return policy is also weird and really distressing -- you don't get your money back, you get credit from their store. JS.

Their bags are really cute and totally worth it though!

Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

Just an FYI, I don't really feel like JustFab's shoes are worth it. The quality is kind of dubious and the one I ordered was so uncomfortable that I returned it after just putting it on. Their return policy is also weird and really distressing -- you don't get your money back, you get credit from their store. JS.

Their bags are really cute and totally worth it though!

I agree with their shoes. I purchased a pair of flats at half off and didn't like them in person. They were cute, but not at all comfortable. The pain in the ass-ness of having to return them just wasn't worth it. I didn't want to spend more money with them, I didn't want to pay to return something, so I just considered it a $20 wash. I have to admit that I dislike that they constantly send out promos for 1/2 price shoes.... for only new members.

Originally Posted by bbbrandnewww View Post

I agree with their shoes. I purchased a pair of flats at half off and didn't like them in person. They were cute, but not at all comfortable. The pain in the ass-ness of having to return them just wasn't worth it. I didn't want to spend more money with them, I didn't want to pay to return something, so I just considered it a $20 wash. I have to admit that I dislike that they constantly send out promos for 1/2 price shoes.... for only new members.

Did you cancel your membership right away?

Oh yeah that's the other thing, as soon as you make a purchase at JF, it puts you on their subscription, and you have to call to cancel. Rude. You can skip just like Julep, but it's one more thing to think about every month.

I got some store credit back from my shoes so I can at least pick out another bag, which I did like... but I think the promo they sent out for the 1/2 off is for shoes only right?

What is the "or" item? Is it the mascara & brow gel? And are only new subscribers getting the mascara, or will it be mixed?

Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

I go by zero-impulse-control pricing, which is honestly how I shop:  If I saw this product at full price in a store (and that store would be Sephora or Nordstrom -- not TJ Maxx -- because those are the stores I shop at, and those seem to be the most common places for people to buy makeup, at least in my city) and bought it, how much would it cost?  I ignore sales (because zero impulse control = you don't wait for sales) and group/set pricing (like a lip gloss set) unless a product is not available as a stand-alone item, like that eye shadow, and I'll base the price on whatever fraction of the whole set that portion represents.

As far as I can tell, the shadow is only available in that set, which brings up something else (now block o' text for ease of reading):  Before I quit my job and had a drastic reduction in income after I (finally) got a new one, I used to go ahead and buy MAC eyeshadow palettes because I wanted *one* shade that was only available in that palette.  I won't go hunting down a dupe.  I'll just spend $40 on the palette.  The shade of shadow being sent out?  Was the shade I was considering buying the palette for.  So to me, getting that shadow alone is kind of worth $34.50 because I'm not spending that much on one shadow I covet plus eight I'll just sigh at for being too boring.  And I'm not going to go hunting down a deal at some random store or website I don't usually frequent, so TJ Maxx or Hautelook deals are completely off my radar.  The mascara?  Worthless because I don't use mascara.  But *someone* uses it, and they pay full price for it at Sephora for it, so that's what I based my calculations on.  

And my wording choices:  I say "value" instead of "price" because the latter to me implies that you can order that *exact* item (that color and that size), and that is not the case for most of these thing.  $85-value gift-with-purchase sets or the tarte Carried Away set selling for $54 with a value of $512 (or, really, pick anything from Sephora's Value Sets page)?  As far as I can tell, they calculate their values the same way I did when I figured out the value of this bag, which is why I think it's the right way for me to do it:  I'm following an established formula. This is something that has *decades* of precedent, and it's the way I'm most familiar with figuring out the comparative retail value.

I waste time not money. :) spend a little extra time and you can save a whole lotta money :) 

also you are describing your personal value equations, which is totally cool, but it doesn't help much for the general population at large. 

Originally Posted by fayeX View Post

Ok, I just realize that  by so far, I'm the only one using 'average price' to calculate the value of items. All the other girls focus on finding right MSRP.

Why do I use average price? Let me explain in detail:

First of all, 'calculating value' is not for those who sub merely for 'try it before buy'. If you may buy it after try it's sample, then the sample should be calculated with msrp. But think it in another way, if one's purpose is merely 'try', there's no need to calculate msrp because he/she focuses on the 'service', as long as the sample is not of extreme low value, every thing is ok.

So calculating value is for those who view the bag as a merchandise, as something with $10 price tag. I believer most people have this thought, more or less. For example some people sub more than one bag and use the extra ones as gift (at this point there's nothing to do with 'try'. Gift receiver just take it as something she can use.). In other threads, people are talking about they never need to buy lip gloss, mascara or hair product due to subs. In these cases 'samples' are playing the role of regular products.

Secondly, average price is for these alien brands. As for well-established brand, msrp is ok because it's already accepted by market .

Taking nailtini as example, the price tag is $13 but how can we know if its overpriced or properly priced? Is it a high end brand that we never heard of or just a nameless one? Here is solution:

Its price at TJ ($10 for 4) indicates its normal price should be around $5 (because essie and Nicola by OP at TJ are all sold at around half price, 50% is the regular discount at TJ), or in other words, this brand is in the same class as other $5 brands. 

Since its among the $5 range, it most likely won't give me the same value (including quality, package, brand culture and even vanity... ) as a $13 brand. 

Conclusion: this polish only means $5 to me. If the manufacturer lists it as $13, $31... my feeling won't change.

Yes, I agree except where are these magical TJ Maxx's that have all this 1/2 price nail polish! I couldn't factor that in because I seriously NEVER see them and I am there all the time. It probably is because my stores are seriously busy all the time, but I get sad when everybody manages to find all this awesome beauty stuff at TJ's

msrp is fine for established brands, but I doubt the nailtini and liner are priced accordingly, when you only sell online its arbitrary because its never in store competing with other similar products from different brands. :) 

I'm with you on the $30 ish value, I think I had $33.50, so agreed on that.

I wasn't going to butt into this "value/price/worth" discussion because I think we all have our personal thoughts and feelings on this, but I have to say, this is not a fair (aka unobjective) evaluation of price.

Subjective feelings towards a brand's value is not a good indicator of what the actual price is or should be. While that influences what you feel about the worth/value of your bag, that absolutely no influence on the objective fact that there are items marketed at $11, $13, whatever, even if we would not pay that much.

For example, Julep is retailed at $14/bottle. This is an objective fact. They sell on julep.com and at Sephora for $14/bottle, unless if you get it as a Maven which is $11.20/bottle or about $7 ($20 for 3 polishes) or $5 a bottle (as an addon) if you get the product in a box. These are objective measures.

Now, how I feel about Julep is that I would probably only pay ~$5-7 a bottle for it. I also value OPI more than Julep as brands, because I prefer OPI's formula and range of colours, even though though Julep's retail price is greater. Despite this, I would also usually only buy OPI at ~$4-5 a bottle. However, I would say OPI is "worth" ~$8 (since I have paid that much for it) but Julep is also probably only "worth" $7 to me. That does not change the fact that OPI's MS retail value is $8.50 and Julep's is $14. What you'd pay, what it's "worth", and what its MSRP price is are entirely different things.

Comparing it to average price like fayeX suggested isn't a bad idea, as long as it's consistent with that particular brand and if it is very different from the MSRP. I'd agree that the Nailtini polish is also "worth" only $5 to me, but that doesn't change the the fact its retail value is $13. If you want to calcuate by the former, that's fine, but arguing about people's opinions about certain brands is obviously going to end in a deadlock. That's why it's much simpler to do it by the MSRP.

But if you feel like you're getting your money's worth, I don't see why it's a problem either. I am excited about this bag and feel like it has about $20-25 of stuff, I paid $10 for. Last month, I calculated the "price" of the bag to be $80+, but I felt like I was getting about $30-40 worth of stuff. Still got my money's worth.

I came up with $33.59, and that was with everything but the liner at the correct (but lowest widely available) price. (because the liner is no where online, so I went with median price of pencil liners on drugstrore.com

Originally Posted by Nickster View Post

Just curious, has anyone gotten the brow gel instead of the mascara?

I received the brow gel..haven't tested it out yet though..I'm still deciding if I want to trade itrolleyes.gif

Of course, I shopped around for the best value when it came to subscriptions.  While I don't try to retail/value/MSRP price out every item, I understand those that do.  You want to feel that you're getting your money's worth.  Use whatever calculation system you want, as long as you feel like Ipsy is a good value for your $.
I agree. I don't completely disregard retail value, but personal value to me as an individual is far more important. Plus, if you like to trade and/or gift a lot, there is value (sometimes a lot) in items you won't use. I love trading, and I create beauty boxes out of my samples for my mom, my aunt, and my two closest friends. Some ladies feel: "Ugh, another mascara!" I feel: "Yay, another mascara!"

Can anyone post a swatch of the lip gloss and the eyeliner? Just curious :D I am sure I won't get my bag until 20th-ish so I am eager to see how they are.

Originally Posted by yoru View Post

Can anyone post a swatch of the lip gloss and the eyeliner? Just curious :D I am sure I won't get my bag until 20th-ish so I am eager to see how they are.

Here is a swatch of the lip gloss and nail polish.  Not the best pics, but hopefully these can give you an idea.  I think I am gifting or will try to trade the eyeliner, so I didn't swatch that.  I love the color and the idea of the polish, just not sold completely yet..this is 2 coats.

• Like 1

Thanks for the swatch! I think the lip gloss is pretty sheer so it should work fine for me, I do not have a color that dark but I am willing to try.

The polish is interesting, but in the sneak peek they posted it looks more like a brown.

Originally Posted by yoru View Post

Thanks for the swatch! I think the lip gloss is pretty sheer so it should work fine for me, I do not have a color that dark but I am willing to try.

The polish is interesting, but in the sneak peek they posted it looks more like a brown.

It did look brown in the sneak peek. I was looking forward to something different like that, but this looks like it'll be a decent layering polish. Might be a bit too soon to tell, but any thoughts on the wear and quality so far?

@gypsiemagic:

It's another girl who found nailtini at TJ. I only found essie, opi, borghese, barielle. Most are at half price. 

dang. I usually wait and make sizeable orders from online e-tailers, since the shipping is hefty if you are only getting one or two. they come out to be 3 bucks a pop. I have slowed my nail polish roll down like 5 notches, I have been working my way through my current stash. at a rate of two-three manicures per week, by my calculations I should need more nail polish in 143 years ;) 

the tj maxx i usually visit is like 15 minutes outside of san francisco (and like 5 minutes from SFSU), so i'm sure they have the stuff, it just doesn't stay for very long :(

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic View Post

dang. I usually wait and make sizeable orders from online e-tailers, since the shipping is hefty if you are only getting one or two. they come out to be 3 bucks a pop. I have slowed my nail polish roll down like 5 notches, I have been working my way through my current stash. at a rate of two-three manicures per week, by my calculations I should need more nail polish in 143 years ;) 

the tj maxx i usually visit is like 15 minutes outside of san francisco (and like 5 minutes from SFSU), so i'm sure they have the stuff, it just doesn't stay for very long :(

I never see more than one set when I'm in those type of stores..they do go pretty fast. I went into a TJ Maxx over the summer and bought several Philosophy 3 in 1s and other stuff by them and returned the next day to do  a quick exchange on something else...wouldn't you know, 20+ Philosophy items on the display all gone!

Ladies and gents, we added to our products reviews section an area where you can review your subscription services! Please review ONLY the subscription service as a whole instead of individual products sent out. If you would like to review the individual products please check out the main products reviews section! :)

http://www.makeuptalk.com/products/category/subscription-and-sampling-programs'>http://www.makeuptalk.com/products/category/subscription-and-sampling-programs

http://www.makeuptalk.com/products/

Did you cancel your membership right away?

Oh yeah that's the other thing, as soon as you make a purchase at JF, it puts you on their subscription, and you have to call to cancel. Rude. You can skip just like Julep, but it's one more thing to think about every month.

I got some store credit back from my shoes so I can at least pick out another bag, which I did like... but I think the promo they sent out for the 1/2 off is for shoes only right?

Yeah it's a pain to keep skipping but I'm always too busy to call when they're around.

When I used my promo it was shoes only. I saw some cute bags, but I don't think they were worth $40 in my mind, so i passed.

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic View Post

I have slowed my nail polish roll down like 5 notches, I have been working my way through my current stash. at a rate of two-three manicures per week, by my calculations I should need more nail polish in 143 years ;) 

mmmm you'll "need" it in 143 years but that won't be the next time you want it :P (Though who are we kidding, do any of us "need" nail polish? clearly the answer is yes here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrandnewww View Post

Yeah it's a pain to keep skipping but I'm always too busy to call when they're around.

When I used my promo it was shoes only. I saw some cute bags, but I don't think they were worth $40 in my mind, so i passed.

They were running a simutalneous promo $15 off the first purchase, so I got the bag for $25! I thought it was a steal. It's become my new everyday bag, and for $25 I don't feel bad about throwing it around a little XD; I'd read all the reviews carefully and sort by highest rated, and you'll definitely get a good steal from one of those. The one I got is superb quality

Originally Posted by heartsandwhimsy View Post

Is the brow gel colored or clear? I have super light blond brows that I have to color in so i am hoping its colored!

Yes it's colored! It has four shades.

Yaaaay! That makes me excited : ). After lasts month amazing bag I signed up for a second bag this month. Like I need more makeup lol but its too good of a deal! So I am hoping that I get one of each (mascara and brow stuff). I usually hoard mascara, and I am super excited for the benefit, but I would love to try the brow gel since I don't have one. I use a really light shadow to color my brows in.

Is the shade they send out totally random, or do they seem to go by peoples' beauty profiles? I have dark hair so something opaque and blonde would make me look crazy lol

Yes it's colored! It has four shades.

Originally Posted by americanclassic View Post

Is the shade they send out totally random, or do they seem to go by peoples' beauty profiles? I have dark hair so something opaque and blonde would make me look crazy lol

I think they're just sending out the clear gel.