Mac 187 Duo Fibre Stippling Brush

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anybody else have the same problem as me,i love my 187 it gives me a flawless look but it sheds a small bit even when i apply makeup real gentle does anybody else experience it? is it common?
help.gif

Yeah, I LOVE this brush but have the same problem!  After stippling, I have to take a QTip and remove the few bristles that came off. 

Yeah that's "normal" for that type of optical fibre brush as is with their powder brushes. I remember Lancôme had that same issue with that exact same brush in 1998. And again I am having the same issue with my 187 as the rest of you. It has something to do with the glue and how the bristle-ends are packed into the ferrule not very well. Technically, optical fibre brushes are meant for polishing highlighters on the face/body, and not for wet make-ups such as foundations. But there is more than two ways to use any one tool or product in a make-up kit. Hence people are calling it a stippling brush and using it as such. I don't use my 187 for foundation, I use it for dry product, and It still sheds... So regardless of how you use and clean it, they unfortunately shed! Argh!

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's "normal" for that type of optical fibre brush as is with their powder brushes.

I remember Lancôme had that same issue with that exact same brush in 1998. And again I am having the same issue with my 187 as the rest of you.

It has something to do with the glue and how the bristle-ends are packed into the ferrule not very well.

Technically, optical fibre brushes are meant for polishing highlighters on the face/body, and not for wet make-ups such as foundations. But there is more than two ways to use any one tool or product in a make-up kit. Hence people are calling it a stippling brush and using it as such.

I don't use my 187 for foundation, I use it for dry product, and It still sheds...

So regardless of how you use and clean it, they unfortunately shed! Argh!
Interesting.  What would you recommend to stipple on liquid foundation? 

Thanks,

Debby

Whatever gives you the best results. I've seen YouTube tutorials and other industry pros that use optical fibre brushes, and others that use the standard foundation brushes for liquid / creme foundations. And depending on the individual MUA, the results were amazing. Some use sponges, others use fingers. I am old-school, so I've only used foundation brushes... With a stippling action. So I usually recommend them.

really? thats the foundation i use on weekdays i use estee lauder double wear on weekends and i have shedding maybe you just got a good brush lol! atleast im not the only one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use the real techniques version:

http://realtechniques.com/shop-collection/your-finish-perfected/stippling-brush

I wash it out twice a week. And I use it with Revlon ColorStay liquid foundation. Not a single hair has come out of it....and it's been about a year. 
I've consulted with a few Pro MUA's and a make-up instructor last week about this thread, and they all say the same thing... This style of brush sheds, no matter how you use it or in what manner you clean it.

I've checked out the link you posted and in my experience you get what you pay for. A $10 US brush and it doesn't shed??? C'mon... But we'll take your word for it. I just happen to disagree with your assessment.

Again, it's how they put the brush together at the factory that matters and it's the same way for ALL brushes. However, this type of bristle is different than the usual synthetic bristles that are used for make-up brushes and even for artist paint brushes for that matter, that they won't stay in the ferrule properly.

My thinking is that the diameter of this type of bristle is a lot narrower than the usual nylon or taklon bristles that are normally used and it's slipping out of the [*dried glue] for some reason, and that's why these types of brushes will start shedding near the centre of the bristles first. Compared to powder and blush brushes, which usually start shedding on the outer circumference first.

Of course, I am speculating here, but I've been thinking about this thread quite a lot since it was first posted, and been doing my own research, and this is the only reason that I can think of as to why. If anyone else has another theory or reason as to why, please post it.

*The glue looks like an epoxy resin which is very hard, but it shrinks slightly when drying and it's also brittle when the glue is fully cured.

The only possible reason I can think of as to why the realtechniques brush doesn't shed is because the ferrule and handle are all one piece, meaning the fibers of the bristles can be very long and glued deeper into the handle where water won't get into it. I dry my brushes with the bristles hanging downward, so no water would roll down into the ferrule/handle. 

Otherwise, I'm not sure why I would have have such a good experience with them. The fibers are talkon , and just as long as they don't break along the shaft, and just as long as the glue/epoxy doesn't get wet and shrink (which, the way I wash, they don't seem to get wet in the ferrule), I don't see these brushes quitting on me any time soon. 

It's worth a try - I've had my fair share of expensive brushes, but from my experience, the real techniques stippling brush is more than comparable. I am actually really curious to hear what a professional makeup artist thinks about this/the other brushes in this line! 

The only downside to the brush is that it's heavy and the handle and base are thick - which just means it takes up a lot of room. I'm not a MUA and don't travel with these brushes, so it's not really a concern for me.....

Edit - This person's blog has a few photos of the bristle density compared to the 187 and the 130.... so maybe the length of bristle that's exposed above the ferrule also helps to keep the fibers more stable.

http://www.nickysbeautyquest.com/2012/03/real-techniques-stippling-brush-review.html

Perhaps this is a better method of securing the bristles to the brush as a one-piecer (deeper into the handle) as opposed to the head of the handle. I will have to follow up on this further... A lot of reviews for it are positive, so there's that as a start.

As for the glue. The glue is super hard, so any liquid like water, 99%, soap or brush cleaner ingredients won't cause the glue to shrink. The only thing that shrinks/expand is the handle when it gets wet and dries, hence the proper way of placing them when drying them. The shrinkage I was referring to, only happns when the brushes are put together at the factory.

I have 5 of MAC's 187 brushes - I love them. They do everything. I never experienced too much of an issue with shedding (to the point it'd be super noticeable/annoying). I've started purchasing all my duo-fiber brushes from www.crownbrush.com and they are AMAZING. They have an entire duo-fiber line and I own each brush in it. None ever shed or breakdown and I use them every day. - B

Back