Repost from my intro to the forums

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi my name is Mari. I'm an older lady with an 18 yr old daughter Morgan. I am really here because I want to make a good decision on a makeup school to enroll my daughter starting in May or June. Obviously the costs for schooling is high so I am looking for help from you- the experienced. Morgan has attended modeling/acting classes- her passion is in makeup.She wants to be a profession MUA. We live in Baltimore,Md. There are two makeup schools near us 1.) American Beauty Academy - Wheaton/Baltimore, MD 2.) Von Lee Intl. school of Aesthetics-Pikesville, MD Has anyone attended one of these? Another option that is available to her is in Florida ( I have a brother there she can stay with) he is in Hollywood, FL. - the Cosmix school is there. Last but not least is: MUA & an Aesthetician, Cinema, Fashion ( is freelance and Fashion MUA the same thing)? My daughter is unaware of this because this is her graduation present. Thanks, mari

I haven't heard of either one however most schools that are accredited would allow you to apply for loans and/or grants. Von Lee is actually listed on Makeup Artists Magazine's list of schools which means that they and other companies will recognize that as a legitimate MUA school and best of all there is financing available.

Von Lee International School of Aesthetics
Pikesville, Maryland
United States
In Florida there are four recognized makeup schools (and I'm not saying there aren't more but these are the big ones recognized in the industry):

Boca Beauty Academy in Boca Raton, Florida

Cosmix School of Makeup Artistry in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Gabriel Productions in Coral Gables, Florida

Joe Blasco Training Centers in Orlando, Florida

If I were to highly suggest looking more into it would be Joe Blasco simply because Joe is very well known and respected.

As for freelance and fashion MUA being the same thing, no it's not. Freelance essentially means the MUA works on his or her own and does not work for a company, does not have an agency. Fashion means the person is working in the fashion field.

Thank you- I do have a brother in Fort Lauderdale that she could go live with! Cosmix is there...

Back