Seeking advice on eye shadow application techniques...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, ladies! I'm new here & hoping some of you can help me. Although I've been wearing makeup for nearly 25 years, I feel like an amateur when it comes to applying eye makeup. I was blessed with large eyelids, so I know I should be taking full advantage of that feature, but I don't know how. My mom took me to get makeovers at several department store cosmetics counters when I began wearing makeup so I (actually, we) could learn proper skin care & makeup application, which was very smart & sweet of her, but it seemed like the consultants all used the same technique, so I know exactly one way to apply eye shadow! This is it: apply a creamy shadow base to the entire upper lid, apply a neutral light to medium shade over the entire lid, apply a medium to dark shade along the crease & bring it down in a V shape over the outer 1/3 to 1/2 of the area between the crease & lash line, apply a very pale or sparkly light shade along the brow bone & in the inner corner, then finish with a matching eye liner pencil or a darker eye shadow applied with an angled brush along the upper & lower lashes. Oh, wait – I do know one variation: apply a 4th shade, darker than the all-over shade but lighter than the crease shade, all over the lower half of the lid between the lashes & the crease as well as under the bottom lashes after applying the all-over shade. That's it! That's all I know & no matter what I do, it always ends up looking the same way. Will someone please instruct me on alternate applications or point me in the direction of someone who can? Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes!

Back