• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Light coverage foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have okay skin but there are some things I do want to cover up. I want an even skin tone, as I suffer from quite a bit of redness on my cheeks; it sometimes looks like I'm wearing intense blush even when I'm not! I've tried out a few foundations, but i'm still pretty inexperienced in the foundation field. Could someone reccommend a good light to medium coverage foundation, or even a good BB cream? Thanks!

Yes! I just got their new stick foundation and it's a really nice light coverage. I like a lighter one for summer and it's perfect, especially since it's only around $7!

I like the hydroxatone BB cream...Costco sells it for $38 for 2 tubes. It doesn't completely cover zits, but I did like how my pores looked, and it also does help the skin heal, which is just as well. I split it with my mom, as we were both trying it for the first time, and she seems to like it too. (She's in her 70's but totally doesn't look it.)

I also like at Urban Decay:

http://www.urbandecay.com/face/foundation/naked-skin-weightless-ultra-definition-liquid-makeup/334.html

I'd consider this more of a medium coverage...you could probably get away with not needing concealer under the eyes. I think you do want to use a primer before you put it on, though...at one point I had a bit of a cold, so my nose was peeling, and as much as I tried to exfoliate, it wasn't going to be perfect...the peeling skin showed through under the foundation (I didn't have any primer, so I was kinda stuck...I ended up blending a little water to dilute around my nose and it was better, but not perfect.)

I kinda prefer the BB cream b/c it's moisturizing and a primer and a foundation all at the same time...no need to apply multiple layers of stuff.

I saw another BB cream at CVS recently...I think I might give that a try, just see how it is (it was $9 for a tube, so the price is right for a test drive).

Masking with raw oats & full fat yogurt can help with redness BTW as can a good silicone-free anti-redness serum with horse chestnut extract. Cleanse & moisturize your face with calendula oil as well. No soap, no liquid foaming cleansers, no toners or astringents, all of which can irritate the skin. All of these things can help. As far as foundation for skin issues like yours, I've found the best to be Monave's. They make loose mineral foundation as well as a couple of liquid/cream formulas. You can get smaller sizes to test out available shades & formulas. They have a tester package which includes 4 shades in whatever range you might be in, you choose. There's plenty in each jar to be able to use them several times. Not just a tiny bit in a baggie like some other brands. You can also custom mix your own shade using a couple of colors, although they do carry many shades. From lightest to deepest skin tones. They have a heavier coverage loose mineral formula they call 'concealer' that really covers redness, broken capillaries, scars etc. Also a lighter coverage loose mineral formula. You can use both formulas, actually. Heavier where you need it, lighter coverage elsewhere. I usually buy the heavier coverage 'concealer' because I find I can use it in many different ways. This winds up being very cost effective. If I want lighter coverage, I just mix in a little bit of my loose mineral face powder. Their loose powder formulas can also be mixed with your favorite moisturizer to make your own tinted moisturizer, or even a custom made liquid or cream foundation. They're very versatile. I do find this works best with oil-based moisturizers, however. But you can always play around with what you've got & see what works for you. In regards to their liquid/cream formulas, they give light to medium coverage when used alone, or they can be mixed with a little bit of moisturizer to give slightly less coverage. They also work very well to block the sun, although the company itself doesn't make any SPF claims, and are incredibly healing to breakout prone, irritated skin. Monave makes these in the same shades as their loose mineral foundations. I've found that all of their foundation formulas wear extremely well, holding up to humidity, heat, sweat, oily skin, dry skin etc. I don't work for this company, but I've been using their stuff for several years now & know the owner. Their foundations are the best I've tried out of all the loose powder & liquid products from many brands which I researched before finding their stuff. Forgot to mention that their products don't contain bismuth oxychloride, which many people find they're allergic to and which can be found in a lot of popular foundations, both loose mineral & liquid types (as well as other types of cosmetics). Bismuth oxychloride can cause itching, redness, a rash, mucous membrane irritation - around the eyes & mouth. Since you've already got redness, you might want to avoid this ingredient altogether. Good luck :)

Back