azalea97

How do you store your nail polish collection?

I was looking for storage ideas for nail polish.  For years I've just stored my nail polishes, remover, files, clippers, etc. in a shoe box.  Not very fancy, but it does the job.  The only bad thing is the colors aren't in clear view.

It's funny you started this thread because I literally just bought a new box for storage today! My boyfriend (who supports my nail polish habit lol)  just got me a three tiered set of drawers. They are like the plastic ones you get from staples for offices but this one is a lot smaller. I would say its 14 inches high and 12 inches wide, has three see through drawers and can easily fit under a bed. It looks like this...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/202271343/3_layer_Mini_Drawer_plastic_drawer/showimage.html

but its not as small

It's funny you started this thread because I literally just bought a new box for storage today! My boyfriend (who supports my nail polish habit lol)  just got me a three tiered set of drawers. They are like the plastic ones you get from staples for offices but this one is a lot smaller. I would say its 14 inches high and 12 inches wide, has three see through drawers and can easily fit under a bed. It looks like this... http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/202271343/3_layer_Mini_Drawer_plastic_drawer/showimage.html but its not as small
May I ask where he found it? I am hunting something like this, but can't find one with drawers that are deep enough. I figure they need to be at least 3.5 inches deep (I have one crazy tall bottle, but it's an anomaly that can be dealt with separately). I currently have this: http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Stack-Portable-Organizer-Rectangle/dp/B005PQAITM/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1372915571&sr=1-14&keywords=Snap+n%27stack This is perfect in theory, except the top section nests down into the bottom section slightly, making it shorter. So when it's full of polish, I can't actually stack the two boxes. So now they sit side by side, driving me nuts because one box is uncovered, and they are taking up twice the space I had allotted. I desperately want them all contained in a covered, stacking system! To answer the original question- short of hanging a rack on the wall, there is no good way to store polish and still maintain visibility. To overcome this, I swatched them all on swatch sticks that are arranged by color and labeled with brand and polish name. The bottles of polish are stored by brand. So once I pick the color(s) I want from the swatches, it's pretty easy to track down the bottle I want.

Thanks for the ideas!

I really like the do-it-yourself rack, but I don't think I have enough polishes to fill something like that! They'd look lost.

I could probably fit them all in 1 of those snap boxes.  

Wewearpolish- what a nice boyfriend you have!  I like those draws but I haven't seen ones those deep.

I got lucky...we went to the Christmas Tree Shops near me and they had them. Staples might have something similar. It looks like the drawers are 3 inches tall so that might work for most of your polishes

Here is my storage solution. You can find these all over ebay and amazon. I need another one because all of my nail polish doesn't fit on just one.

• Like 5

Originally Posted by la rubia View Post

Thanks for the ideas!

I really like the do-it-yourself rack, but I don't think I have enough polishes to fill something like that! They'd look lost.

I could probably fit them all in 1 of those snap boxes.  

Wewearpolish- what a nice boyfriend you have!  I like those draws but I haven't seen ones those deep.

If you don't have a lot of polishes you can use a spice rack like the Bekvam from ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40070185/

Where did you find three foam boards for under $5?
At the 99 cents only store. I got 3 foam boards and glue sticks for my hot glue gun for $4.40. I already had the Exacto knife and the duct tape.

Originally Posted by maeiland View Post

Here is my storage solution. You can find these all over ebay and amazon. I need another one because all of my nail polish doesn't fit on just one.

It''s so pretty!

• Like 1

i actually picked up a nice wooden storage cabinet for over the toilet at a thrift shop for $5 awhile back, hubby tookthe legs off it and when we redecorated the bathroom it sat in a closet for a few months til i had the crazy idea to stick it on top of my bookshelf and stick my polishes in it....

the pic is from the day i did it, there are about 30 more polishes in it nowicon_eek.gif

I got a big bin at target but I found not seeing all the colors easily makes me not use a lot of them. I need to invest in a wall rack

I have a massive collection of polish.  I have been collecting them since the mid 90's with a recent hoarding obsession since spring.  I kept them all in a huge tote or basket but I could never see what I had and didn't tend to wear polish often due to that fact.  I now work from home and have them in my home office. These were made out of the foam racks as well.  I am currently working on my 4th one.  Since I made 3 at once I didn't need as many foam boards.  I got everything I needed at the Dollar General with the exception of the duct tape which happened to be on 50% clearance at Home Depot.  I went back and bought all they had.  I ended up spending closer to 25 I think for everything including the glue gun, extra glue sticks, the knife I used to cut it (Dollar Tree) etc.  Only one shelf doesn't hold up so I had to repair it while on my wall and keep only lighter polish bottles on it.  The wooden side shelf I put there for the meantime is now overgrown as well.  Since this picture was taken I have increased my stash by well over 100.  I am currently sitting at 520 (that I have swatched on color wheels) and about another 125 in older and minis.  I really like the foam shelves for what they are.  I would love something in the clear plastic or acrylic but I just didn't have the money at the time (I spent it all on polish). 

Under the desk you see the monitor on I keep all the nail art and nail care supplies.  It's just a 3 bin plastic shelf.  I keep baskets from the dollar tree in to separate my stickers, nail tape, scotch tape, extra dishes and cups for water marble etc.  On the desk I keep the supplies like cotton balls, q tips, toothpicks, and my trusty lint roller for cleaning my stamper. My stamping plates are also in a binder in the plastic shelf unit. 

• Like 1

Please send me your entire room.  I'll totally pay for shipping! icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Christa W View Post

I have a massive collection of polish.  I have been collecting them since the mid 90's with a recent hoarding obsession since spring.  I kept them all in a huge tote or basket but I could never see what I had and didn't tend to wear polish often due to that fact.  I now work from home and have them in my home office. These were made out of the foam racks as well.  I am currently working on my 4th one.  Since I made 3 at once I didn't need as many foam boards.  I got everything I needed at the Dollar General with the exception of the duct tape which happened to be on 50% clearance at Home Depot.  I went back and bought all they had.  I ended up spending closer to 25 I think for everything including the glue gun, extra glue sticks, the knife I used to cut it (Dollar Tree) etc.  Only one shelf doesn't hold up so I had to repair it while on my wall and keep only lighter polish bottles on it.  The wooden side shelf I put there for the meantime is now overgrown as well.  Since this picture was taken I have increased my stash by well over 100.  I am currently sitting at 520 (that I have swatched on color wheels) and about another 125 in older and minis.  I really like the foam shelves for what they are.  I would love something in the clear plastic or acrylic but I just didn't have the money at the time (I spent it all on polish). 

Under the desk you see the monitor on I keep all the nail art and nail care supplies.  It's just a 3 bin plastic shelf.  I keep baskets from the dollar tree in to separate my stickers, nail tape, scotch tape, extra dishes and cups for water marble etc.  On the desk I keep the supplies like cotton balls, q tips, toothpicks, and my trusty lint roller for cleaning my stamper. My stamping plates are also in a binder in the plastic shelf unit. 

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post

Please send me your entire room.  I'll totally pay for shipping! icon_cheesygrin.gif

That's awesome.  Thanks for making me smile.  I would hate to think of how much the bottles alone would weigh!  At one point when I had them in a tote/basket I couldn't even lift it up it was full to the max.  I am a pretty lucky girl. 

Hm... am I the only person who prefers to sort by brand rather than colour? I see almost everyone sort by brand by the colour is more important to me...

I keep moving around or else I'd buy a permanent fixture to store my nail polish. While I wasn't looking, I'm probably somewhere in the 150-200 range now (esp if I count my minis, sigh).

Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

Hm... am I the only person who prefers to sort by brand rather than colour? I see almost everyone sort by brand by the colour is more important to me...

I keep moving around or else I'd buy a permanent fixture to store my nail polish. While I wasn't looking, I'm probably somewhere in the 150-200 range now (esp if I count my minis, sigh).

I sort mine by brand as well.  I swatch out all my polishes on a color wheel by similar colors ie teals/turquoise, purples, pinks, glitters, etc.  Then I have a spreadsheet in Excel on my computer that corresponds to a number on the back of the wheel.  I can then pull that up and see what polish it is.  Because I sort by brand, I can know exactly where to go for that bottle.  I am a tad bit OCD though.

Currently my nail polish stash is stored in the top section of my SherrieBlossom IceBox, but with all my subs, I have quickly run out of room. So I am now saving up to buy a Fox Claws Roxy Rack...I do not trust myself with the DIY options. I can see all my polish crashing to the floor because I didn't use enough glue or forgot to put a nail in somewhere...and this way, I will clear up an entire level for more cosmetics in my IceBox! It's a win win!

I have mine in clear shoe boxes sorted by color.  All of my stripers and nail art pens in a box, stamping supplies in another, and base/top coats/stregtheners in another!  All the boxes are from the Container Store so they fit neatly on top of one another hidden in the back of my closet so my husband doesn't actually see how big my collection is.

• Like 1