Jump to content
azalea97

How do you store your nail polish collection?

Recommended Posts

I was looking for storage ideas for nail polish.  For years I've just stored my nail polishes, remover, files, clippers, etc. in a shoe box.  Not very fancy, but it does the job.  The only bad thing is the colors aren't in clear view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny you started this thread because I literally just bought a new box for storage today! My boyfriend (who supports my nail polish habit lol)  just got me a three tiered set of drawers. They are like the plastic ones you get from staples for offices but this one is a lot smaller. I would say its 14 inches high and 12 inches wide, has three see through drawers and can easily fit under a bed. It looks like this...

 

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/202271343/3_layer_Mini_Drawer_plastic_drawer/showimage.html

 

but its not as small

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's funny you started this thread because I literally just bought a new box for storage today! My boyfriend (who supports my nail polish habit lol)  just got me a three tiered set of drawers. They are like the plastic ones you get from staples for offices but this one is a lot smaller. I would say its 14 inches high and 12 inches wide, has three see through drawers and can easily fit under a bed. It looks like this... http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/202271343/3_layer_Mini_Drawer_plastic_drawer/showimage.html but its not as small
May I ask where he found it? I am hunting something like this, but can't find one with drawers that are deep enough. I figure they need to be at least 3.5 inches deep (I have one crazy tall bottle, but it's an anomaly that can be dealt with separately). I currently have this: http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Stack-Portable-Organizer-Rectangle/dp/B005PQAITM/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1372915571&sr=1-14&keywords=Snap+n%27stack This is perfect in theory, except the top section nests down into the bottom section slightly, making it shorter. So when it's full of polish, I can't actually stack the two boxes. So now they sit side by side, driving me nuts because one box is uncovered, and they are taking up twice the space I had allotted. I desperately want them all contained in a covered, stacking system! To answer the original question- short of hanging a rack on the wall, there is no good way to store polish and still maintain visibility. To overcome this, I swatched them all on swatch sticks that are arranged by color and labeled with brand and polish name. The bottles of polish are stored by brand. So once I pick the color(s) I want from the swatches, it's pretty easy to track down the bottle I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the ideas!

 

I really like the do-it-yourself rack, but I don't think I have enough polishes to fill something like that! They'd look lost.

I could probably fit them all in 1 of those snap boxes.  

 

Wewearpolish- what a nice boyfriend you have!  I like those draws but I haven't seen ones those deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got lucky...we went to the Christmas Tree Shops near me and they had them. Staples might have something similar. It looks like the drawers are 3 inches tall so that might work for most of your polishes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my storage solution. You can find these all over ebay and amazon. I need another one because all of my nail polish doesn't fit on just one.

1000

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by la rubia View Post

 

Thanks for the ideas!

 

I really like the do-it-yourself rack, but I don't think I have enough polishes to fill something like that! They'd look lost.

I could probably fit them all in 1 of those snap boxes.  

 

Wewearpolish- what a nice boyfriend you have!  I like those draws but I haven't seen ones those deep.

 

If you don't have a lot of polishes you can use a spice rack like the Bekvam from ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40070185/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Where did you find three foam boards for under $5?
At the 99 cents only store. I got 3 foam boards and glue sticks for my hot glue gun for $4.40. I already had the Exacto knife and the duct tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by maeiland View Post

 

Here is my storage solution. You can find these all over ebay and amazon. I need another one because all of my nail polish doesn't fit on just one.

1000

 

It''s so pretty!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i actually picked up a nice wooden storage cabinet for over the toilet at a thrift shop for $5 awhile back, hubby tookthe legs off it and when we redecorated the bathroom it sat in a closet for a few months til i had the crazy idea to stick it on top of my bookshelf and stick my polishes in it....

the pic is from the day i did it, there are about 30 more polishes in it nowicon_eek.gif

400

 

400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a big bin at target but I found not seeing all the colors easily makes me not use a lot of them. I need to invest in a wall rack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

700

 

I have a massive collection of polish.  I have been collecting them since the mid 90's with a recent hoarding obsession since spring.  I kept them all in a huge tote or basket but I could never see what I had and didn't tend to wear polish often due to that fact.  I now work from home and have them in my home office. These were made out of the foam racks as well.  I am currently working on my 4th one.  Since I made 3 at once I didn't need as many foam boards.  I got everything I needed at the Dollar General with the exception of the duct tape which happened to be on 50% clearance at Home Depot.  I went back and bought all they had.  I ended up spending closer to 25 I think for everything including the glue gun, extra glue sticks, the knife I used to cut it (Dollar Tree) etc.  Only one shelf doesn't hold up so I had to repair it while on my wall and keep only lighter polish bottles on it.  The wooden side shelf I put there for the meantime is now overgrown as well.  Since this picture was taken I have increased my stash by well over 100.  I am currently sitting at 520 (that I have swatched on color wheels) and about another 125 in older and minis.  I really like the foam shelves for what they are.  I would love something in the clear plastic or acrylic but I just didn't have the money at the time (I spent it all on polish). 

 

Under the desk you see the monitor on I keep all the nail art and nail care supplies.  It's just a 3 bin plastic shelf.  I keep baskets from the dollar tree in to separate my stickers, nail tape, scotch tape, extra dishes and cups for water marble etc.  On the desk I keep the supplies like cotton balls, q tips, toothpicks, and my trusty lint roller for cleaning my stamper. My stamping plates are also in a binder in the plastic shelf unit. 

 

700

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please send me your entire room.  I'll totally pay for shipping! icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Christa W View Post

700

 

I have a massive collection of polish.  I have been collecting them since the mid 90's with a recent hoarding obsession since spring.  I kept them all in a huge tote or basket but I could never see what I had and didn't tend to wear polish often due to that fact.  I now work from home and have them in my home office. These were made out of the foam racks as well.  I am currently working on my 4th one.  Since I made 3 at once I didn't need as many foam boards.  I got everything I needed at the Dollar General with the exception of the duct tape which happened to be on 50% clearance at Home Depot.  I went back and bought all they had.  I ended up spending closer to 25 I think for everything including the glue gun, extra glue sticks, the knife I used to cut it (Dollar Tree) etc.  Only one shelf doesn't hold up so I had to repair it while on my wall and keep only lighter polish bottles on it.  The wooden side shelf I put there for the meantime is now overgrown as well.  Since this picture was taken I have increased my stash by well over 100.  I am currently sitting at 520 (that I have swatched on color wheels) and about another 125 in older and minis.  I really like the foam shelves for what they are.  I would love something in the clear plastic or acrylic but I just didn't have the money at the time (I spent it all on polish). 

 

Under the desk you see the monitor on I keep all the nail art and nail care supplies.  It's just a 3 bin plastic shelf.  I keep baskets from the dollar tree in to separate my stickers, nail tape, scotch tape, extra dishes and cups for water marble etc.  On the desk I keep the supplies like cotton balls, q tips, toothpicks, and my trusty lint roller for cleaning my stamper. My stamping plates are also in a binder in the plastic shelf unit. 

 

700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post

 

Please send me your entire room.  I'll totally pay for shipping! icon_cheesygrin.gif

 

That's awesome.  Thanks for making me smile.  I would hate to think of how much the bottles alone would weigh!  At one point when I had them in a tote/basket I couldn't even lift it up it was full to the max.  I am a pretty lucky girl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm... am I the only person who prefers to sort by brand rather than colour? I see almost everyone sort by brand by the colour is more important to me...

 

I keep moving around or else I'd buy a permanent fixture to store my nail polish. While I wasn't looking, I'm probably somewhere in the 150-200 range now (esp if I count my minis, sigh).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

 

Hm... am I the only person who prefers to sort by brand rather than colour? I see almost everyone sort by brand by the colour is more important to me...

 

I keep moving around or else I'd buy a permanent fixture to store my nail polish. While I wasn't looking, I'm probably somewhere in the 150-200 range now (esp if I count my minis, sigh).

 

I sort mine by brand as well.  I swatch out all my polishes on a color wheel by similar colors ie teals/turquoise, purples, pinks, glitters, etc.  Then I have a spreadsheet in Excel on my computer that corresponds to a number on the back of the wheel.  I can then pull that up and see what polish it is.  Because I sort by brand, I can know exactly where to go for that bottle.  I am a tad bit OCD though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently my nail polish stash is stored in the top section of my SherrieBlossom IceBox, but with all my subs, I have quickly run out of room. So I am now saving up to buy a Fox Claws Roxy Rack...I do not trust myself with the DIY options. I can see all my polish crashing to the floor because I didn't use enough glue or forgot to put a nail in somewhere...and this way, I will clear up an entire level for more cosmetics in my IceBox! It's a win win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mine in clear shoe boxes sorted by color.  All of my stripers and nail art pens in a box, stamping supplies in another, and base/top coats/stregtheners in another!  All the boxes are from the Container Store so they fit neatly on top of one another hidden in the back of my closet so my husband doesn't actually see how big my collection is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Recent images in this topic

  • Posts

    • It's awesom to have the national lipstick day could really amazed the women and girls ! They will ove to have different variety of shade and color ...
    • cool, thanks for the tips!  I like all of k-beauty products I've tried so far but I haven't tried any foundations yet. The best foundation I've found is FitMe and it's super cheap but I want to change brands.  FitMe is a matte finish.
    • I mostly prefer k-beauty products. I use Missha foundation, I have been using this from last 3 years. It has different shades we can choose according to our skintone. And also I have suggested this to my friends and cousins, they all are every satisfied with this products. I always prefer to shop from Althea beauty store for all k-beauty products, because it provides best discounts on products.
    • I have been backsliding, but backsliding in a better way than before. The money has felt tighter than normal lately. I decided not to be too hard on myself, because part of that was from losing my second job due to COVID. Also I joined a new church, and really want to keep up with the tithing. That has become important to me. I found I need to tighten the budget and cut back on too much takeout/delivery [Door Dash is my vice]. That's hard for me. I was not budgeting well, and I found myself the week before Father's Day with not enough money for gifts and food that week, so I opened a new credit card. I used that to buy gifts and food, then some more food and takeout. I feel really badly about that.  BUT my old self would have just kept the card, and gone shopping for beauty items with it too, and I would have given up on my No Buy/Project Use It Up. NOW I caught myself after about two weeks of this backsliding, cut up the card, took the card number out of the computer. Because if it's there, it's too much temptation. And I kept right on using my old beauty stuff, I was not even tempted to buy new beauty stuff, just food!  Now I will wait for the bill for the new credit card to come in the mail and work on paying it off. The fact that I am rebounding like this instead of going back to my old behavior is a really good sign! I do need to work on the eating out. Getting Nutrisystem was not such a good idea. The dry food is hard to eat and it is pretty expensive too. But I will keep trying to change my food habits. Until now, I have not really had to do that to achieve my goals. We're moving into the higher goals now. 

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

Follow us

Recent tweets

MakeupTalk Facebook - 911K Likes

×
×
  • Create New...