Why can't a woman be a Girly Girl AND Athletic AND Natural?? Why does it have to be one or the other?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working in the Beauty biz, I have met and talked to alot of woman! I hear all the time why someone can or cannot try on or wear a color. It's always because she is "all natural", or athletic, OR categorizing herself as a Girly Girl, who loves makeup, skincare, clothes, etc.

But why can't we be both?? I, myself am a natural girl, AND a girly girl wrapped into one. I love wearing sweats and t-shirts and sneakers, no makeup. I also love to dress up, wear tons of makeup and heels!

Just something to think about. I just feel like many of my customer's make a point of telling me what category she falls into. 

We can be athletic and natural, and dressy and made up, and it's OK! Experiment!

I have to agree. My eldest daughter is both a girly girl and athletic. She does pageants, dances, track (well in high school). People should stop putting themselves into a box.

I agree as well. But thanks to magazines who perpetuate this social stigma or mindset, people get the wrong message, and people like myself (entertainment / fashion) who help unfortunately perpetuate it. Interestingly enough, women who work in the creative industry, (in the field) don't dress up, wear only mascara if that, and they dress up and make-up girls all day. But when they go out to industry functions they certainly dress up to the nines.

It depends on the person. Being comfortable in yourself and being able to put on what you feel like and pull it off.

The problem with the athletic types is that they tend to have drier skin, they have aches and pains from the odd sports injuries, ankle tendons and calf muscles which can affect the high heel thing. Not always, but sometimes. Also a big thing here for real athletes and not to much athlete types is that they spend a great deal of time out in the sun instead of inside and suffer from drier skin which can sometimes not come off as very girlie looking.

Take care of your skin all over your body and wear sunscreen. Taking vitamin D supplements also helps a lot. Here are some tips on dealing with the dry skin that athletes typically get:

http://www.skincarehq.org/articles/organic-dry-skin-remedies-for-the-whole-body

Sounds like you're describing butch types as opposed to athletic types. As butch / tomboy types don't really use a skincare regimen. Unlike athletic types who do, as they live a healthier lifestyle and they do their workouts in public and with others, so there is a "healthy" image to uphold.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you're describing butch types as opposed to athletic types. As butch / tomboy types don't really use a skincare regimen.

Unlike athletic types who do, as they live a healthier lifestyle and they do their workouts in public and with others, so there is a "healthy" image to uphold.
lol my ex-girlfriend was a "soft butch" type and she spent more time in the bathroom on her skincare regimen than I did.

They can and I am! That's the fun of being a girl! Boo hiss on the "you can't wear this you can't wear that".i just turned 36 - still a girl yet technically a woman- and most days I just curl my lashes,do my fiberwig,blush,and some lip and I'm good!i love seeing the looks though when I do a full face.its one of life's simple pleasures.lol!!

lol my ex-girlfriend was a "soft butch" type and she spent more time in the bathroom on her skincare regimen than I did.
Yeah, I was generalizing, as I have all types of girls in my social / professional circle, and the butch types tend to do minimal to none.

Back