"Top Rated" Make up/clothes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think most people know this phrase is a marketing ploy going back 80 years. Go to any city's China Town, and you'll see this and other related phrases all over the place.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most people know this phrase is a marketing ploy going back 80 years. Go to any city's China Town, and you'll see this and other related phrases all over the place.
So I shouldn't rely on it right? Because usually in Bath and Body works it's correct sometimes. Also do you think that the comments are also from real customers? Or are they BS?

There was a interview done with the creator of the Twilight Zone, Rod Serling back in 1959. In the interview he said he was hired by a company in the early 50's to write positive customer reviews / testimonials... Even back then, they hired writers to write fake testimonials to help sell products. Fast forward to the present. A member of our research department told us that in his travels for our show, that companies hire "professional experts" as part of their PR division. Meaning that they pretend to be "experts" in whatever field they happen to talk about that day. Again, it's about selling an idea to the public. Another one is bloggers and vloggers. I see a lot of make-up blogs and YouTube tutorials from amateur self-proclaimed make-up guru's, but they are not, as union MUA pros usually shake our heads at what we see and hear. Why are they successful in terms of hits? It comes down to selling themselves in a new medium, and people eat it up. Doesn't make them right. To me it's just a different approach. So to answer your question, yes it's mostly BS.

I think the correct question is: Are you influenced by "Top Rated" when you shop for make-up / clothes? For me it does piqué my interest, but I automatically compare it to the competition. An example would be Lancôme's Definicils, which we all know is always listed as "Top Rated" but there is Diorshow that is a direct competitor to it. But both are equally good.

Back