How many people like gel nails here?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanna do a research here, is there any of you like gel nail here? why?

I've never tried them, and likely will not in the long-term future. Why? I have other polish that I want to use and enjoy the creative process of choosing my polish colours and creating interesting combinations myself. Also, it's valuable practice for dexterity and hand-eye coordination. I worry about the additional light required for curing and the extended effort and exposure required for their removal. Traveling to a salon on a regular basis, and the added expense, does not appeal to me.

On the other hand, women who love them are able to maintain a very sturdy mani for two weeks under harsher conditions.

If you are a person for whom many of the following are true:

- likes to visit a salon biweekly OR would prefer to invest in the supplies for gel yourself

- is comfortable with this biweekly expense OR investment into personal equipment

- wants hassle-free nails for two weeks at a stretch

- will commit to regular removal and re-application visits OR will deal with removal at home

- is comfortable with the grow-out you will see in week two OR will go more often to a salon for extended maintenance so grow-out isn't visible OR will personally maintain

- does not have much nail polish at home OR is comfortable not using it OR will use the gel as the base for other manis

- must have a more sturdy base for regular manis AND prefers not to use other alternatives

- has very soft breakable nails, where regular manis are not possible

- has a busy lifestyle where doing a mani at home will not work

- is comfortable with the salon environment, sanitation, and compounds used OR will do it at home, and is similarly comfortable with needed compounds

- enjoys the pampered feeling of aesthetic service

- wants to enjoy professional artistic skills

- has hands in the water a lot

- uses hands a lot, and generally breaks natural nails

it might be that gel nails would work for you. Good luck. I would maybe try them once if you're seriously considering, and then you will have the experience to judge whether it would be a good longer-term approach.

I have used UV gel in the past to build up a tip if one of my nails break.  By the time the nail grows out, the gel just kind of falls off from filing.  I bought a whole UV gel nail system but I don't think I'd ever go for full-nails gel.  I would worry about how damaging it is to my nail beds.

I do like the look of them, however, and I would definitely recommend them for people with thin, brittle or weak mails.

LOVE UV gel nails! In my experience, they are not at all damaging, as long as you get them done by a good nail tech. In fact, I've come out with healthier nails after having gels on than what they were when I got them put on. They stay put much better than acrylics, are thinner and more flexible and therefore less likely to break, and you can paint over them if you ever get bored and want to do something different. Plus, you can go longer without fills than you can with acrylic. They don't lift, and since they're thinner, it's less noticeable when there's new growth. If I could afford them, I would have them pretty much all the time.

I do the at home set and Haven't had much issues with it. I love doing it for vacations or when I am going to be photographing weddings. The disadvantage is I like to change my colors up every couple days when I have time and they last a little too long for me.

I think gel and shellac are pretty much the same thing, and I *love* shellac nail polish. I used to get shellac manicures done exclusively at the salon, by a really talented and efficient nail tech. The color would last for more than two weeks; I would have to get my nails redone only because they grew out too much...not because of chipping or fading. And with all the special effects that can be done with "additives," now...well there really isn't any regular nail polish color that can't be pretty much duplicated with shellac.

I ended up getting a bunch of CND shellac polishes and the UV light for home. I am glad I made the investment, but the truth is I am not nearly as good as my nail tech at giving myself a shellac manicure. The color gets too much on my skin, and it is awkward to try and remove it from the skin. I also end up being able to kind of peel the paint off my nails, when I do shellac myself. I think it's because I paint the layers on too thick, and for some reason it is difficult for me to paint thinner layers. So, while the at-home system is cost-efficient, the results aren't nearly as nice as what can be done by the right nail artist. Another downside to shellac is that the color needs to be soaked and scraped off, which isn't the most pleasant activity.

However, if a nail tech or any other person has the right amount of skill and practice, then shellac is SO worth it. The pros far outweigh the cons, in my opinion. I used to think I would *never* go back to regular nail polish, until I decided the salon visits were a tad expensive to keep up on, consistently. But it is just so nice to have nail color that doesn't go anywhere. It's resistant to nics, chips, and fading, and there is no drying time, because the UV light "cures" the paint. I also personally think shellac nails look spectacular.

I usually get gel done when i'm going on a trip that will be a week or longer. I want to make sure my mani & pedi last the whole time without chips and it helps keep my nails from breaking. Gel usually lasts on my toes for 2 months before the growth is noticeable and about 3 weeks on my hands. I've never used an at home gel kit, I always go to the salon.

@maeiland - That's a good rule of thumb... nowadays I generally just shellac before a trip/vacation somewhere, so that the paint lasts the entire time. And before the trip, I'd of course get it done at the salon, because my nail tech is the God(dess) of her trade.

If I were a millionaire, I'd likely get shellac-ed consistently, but this hasn't happened, yet.

I will likely mess with my at-home system here and there. I already have it, so might as well. And who knows, I may someday get really good at it.

I used to get gel done at the salon, but the last tech who did it, did such a horrible job that I went to Ulta and got a kit myself because there was no way I could do a worse job than the tech! I've had the kit a couple months now and I've gotten pretty good at it. I only use or as a base for regale nail polish. I just soaked my gels off two days ago and put on a regular base coat and polish.

So interesting that, my people always complaint to me that the gel nail cannot last long enough before peel off.

I've been doing my own gel nails at home for about a year and a half. I tried various brands but prefer CND shellac. I really like the length of time my nails last (mine lasts about 10 days) and the fact my nails are completely dry so quickly. Recently I've been getting tired of the whole process and been seeing some damage to my nails so I've been mixing it up with regular polish too.

Ive just recently had gel nails put on and had them on my nails for about 8 days so far, no signs of chipping, nails are still healthy and strong, the finish on the nails was very nice and clean and glossy. I would definitely go back and have them done again, although I had them done for a special occasion (wedding) and therefore will probably stick to regular polish for a while until I can afford to upkeep getting my nails done.

Are you asking about gel nail enhancements or gel polish?  
wassatt.gif

I do my own soak-off UV nails at home. I use a clear gel so that I can change my polish often. I don't have to soak off the gel to change just the color. I never had any problems with them peeling or such. It can be application that causes such issues.

I love how they look but it's a B to take them off even with brands that claim they're soak offs. After arduous hours of soaking my nails to take off my gel mani's (one time it took me up to 4 hours to completely take off), I came up with my own way of doing my gel manis. Instead of using the bonder and actual gel colored polishes, I use regular nail polish and used a gel top coat. If i carefully do the prep work before doing my nails (clean them properly and leaving no oils), with my technique, my nails can last about 2 weeks with just a gel top coat and taking off the polish is as hard as taking off glitter polish.

I think a big part of how long gel polish lasts depends in application. A good application can last three weeks. A bad application can peel in a week. I drive 20 min away to get mine done rather than going to someplace within walking distance so that they last 3 weeks.

Quote: Originally Posted by caperella0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Are you asking about gel nail enhancements or gel polish?  
wassatt.gif

This.

There's a HUGE diffrence between the two!!

I've tried gel polish which I actually liked, but haven't got around to get actual gel nails.  Something I want to try though.

Back