How much do you spend per child at christmas?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just wondering how I compare to others, I am struggling a bit this year! and was wondering how much do you all spend on average per child for christmas presents?

If you can do Black Friday then you can get quite a bit for $20. Walgreens will have 64-pack Crayola crayons for $1.99. Some Barbies are down to 7.99 at some places. Board and card games are BOGO at Target I think. Check the ads!!

That's tough! I have 6 kids & always struggle with this. We are a very religious family so I've always told the kids that Christ got 3 gifts for his birthday & that they will get the same as he did on his birthday. We do 1 want gift, 1 need gift (this year it's umbrellas & rain boots), & 1 spiritually related gift (church books, journals, ties, etc) Santa comes too so they aren't totally deprived, & the grandparents always send a gift as well. On average between those 3 gifts I wind up spending between $50-$60 per kid which adds up when there are 6 of them! I also make it fun by labeling gifts with funny names so they don't know which gifts are theirs (so they can't snoop). I've done reindeer names, Christmas carols, Christmas treats, etc. the kids love finding out "who" they are on christmas morning!

We have 6 kids as well, 3 of his and 3 of mine.  This year we will probably spend around $125 on each.  Some years we have been able to spend more and some less.  We just moved into a bigger house so we warned all of them that this year would be a very lite Christmas.  They seemed pretty okay with it since they are all happy to have space in the new house.

We only buy new clothes three times a year - back-to-school, Christmas and in the spring so it ends up being hundreds of dollars mainly in clothes and a few toys. Santa brings each child one item from their wish list. This year no Santa though since the youngest are 10 and the others no longer believe in Santa. This year there will be new pjs, robes and slippers - like every year and the kids have already asked for specific pjs, lol - but only one big gift each year. Since we're moving from one coast to the other this summer well we're keeping the money tight this year so no whole new wardrobe like in the past.

I only have one child, so I really don't have a limit. If I see something he likes, chances are I might get it. Apparently right now he is REALLY into music (he is 8 years old). So, I am thinking since he listens to Pandora on his iPhone a lot (yeah, I know 8 with an iPhone... I work in the wireless industry, that's why!), I might just get him some awesome headphones or a nice bluetooth speaker. I did spend $100 already and get him a keyboard that will teach him how to play different songs. That was his "big gift."

My kids are 19 and 21 now. But when they were younger it fluctuated, but one year I spent $500 per kid. That was the year my oldest got a drum set and my youngest got an electric guitar. To this day that ranks as their best Christmas ever. Not because of the dollar amount spent. They had so much fun with those instruments. They started a neighborhood band, both kids learned to play both instruments. It was really awesome. They still have the instruments and it fostered a lifelong love of music. But typical years, this one included, more like $250 per kid.

My mom always aimed for $200 a kid (there was 3 of us) and that's what I am aiming to do and then I add santa on top. I think it also depends on what you're getting them. My daughter is getting a leap pad ultra so that was one big gift with a few small ones pjs, books, etc. My son on the other hand I'm spending less money on, but getting the same amount of gifts as his sister. My kids are young though and don't really notice if you don't spend the same amount on them. 

I don't have a child but I do have a 10 year old brother! I love him to death and my parents aren't doing very well so I got my brother his Christmas present this year. I am actually still hunting for some video games. Hopefully everything arrives in time :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back