The Balm - Sephora - Kohl's?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remember years back The Balm used to be sold at Sephora. Then all of a sudden out of no where they stopped selling it.

I'm curious as to why Sephora would stop selling such a large brand? Is it the simple answer of, the products weren't selling well enough?

How do stores like Sephora and Ulta contract specific cosmetics lines into their stores? It's odd that Sephora has some Lauder brands like Origins and Clinique, but not others like Estee Lauder.

Anyone know anything about this?

Also, I saw Kohl's now has Lorac and The Balm.

Kohl's sells The Balm? WooHoo! I love that I won't have to order online!

Quote: Originally Posted by FunAtTheCircus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I remember years back The Balm used to be sold at Sephora. Then all of a sudden out of no where they stopped selling it.

I'm curious as to why Sephora would stop selling such a large brand? Is it the simple answer of, the products weren't selling well enough?

How do stores like Sephora and Ulta contract specific cosmetics lines into their stores? It's odd that Sephora has some Lauder brands like Origins and Clinique, but not others like Estee Lauder.

Anyone know anything about this?

Also, I saw Kohl's now has Lorac and The Balm.

The Sephora store near me (Glendale/Americana at Brand) sells a decent sized selection of Estee Lauder products.  Usually the newest collection out plus some standard staples of each category of makeup.

Typically those brands contact the store and pay for the space in a retail setting. Like when you walk into a target and you see all the diet cokes, Nivea, and kitty treats at the end caps (parts facing outward to the aisle), the company of that brand pays for that placement. Even candy bars - mars, nestle, all of them pay for specific spots on those shelves. I'm 90% sure it's the same deal inside of a Sephora. The cost to get into retail is sometimes way too high and I'm guessing The Balm either was edged out by the contract price or saw Sephora placement not being the best option to get their name out.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Typically those brands contact the store and pay for the space in a retail setting. Like when you walk into a target and you see all the diet cokes, Nivea, and kitty treats at the end caps (parts facing outward to the aisle), the company of that brand pays for that placement. Even candy bars - mars, nestle, all of them pay for specific spots on those shelves.

I'm 90% sure it's the same deal inside of a Sephora. The cost to get into retail is sometimes way too high and I'm guessing The Balm either was edged out by the contract price or saw Sephora placement not being the best option to get their name out.
Interesting! Thanks. 

Back